Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm still having some trouble making my sister's pages for her site.
What other web design program is out there besides Frontpage. Something that is a WYSIWYG format since I do not know html,nor do i want to.
I have found a few on download.com but I can't figure them out.

Wondering if I just need to upgrade to the newest Frontpage.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I use frontpage 2000. I like it (considering who makes it). Takes a while to learn all the nuances but once that is done it isn't bad. The downside is the host must support frontpage extensions to access with frontpage.
There are several other web design programs out there though.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what i am having trouble with is an application form. wonder if my webspace doesn't allow for that sort of script or whatever it is.
guess I need to hold off and wait for my sister to register her domain and get some space of her own.
It's on my free space through my isp.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I doubt the host is the reason.
I am by no means an expert with database input pages but I've played a bit with them. I had to make the page a .asp if I remember correctly. i'm at work so I do not have my files here to look at. Yes, you can 'virtually' drown in all the parameters but it's really not that difficult. The complicated part is it is more than just a web page. The 'submit' button must take all the data from each data field and save it to a file or into a database. It gets more complicated from there but if you have MS Office you also have an integrated database program that Frontpage will work with. Access will make database files and allow you to even display files.
An easier way than learning how to do all this is to find a configurable 'guestbook' that you can customize the fields to what your application wants and adapt that to a web page. It already has it setup to save and view a file created from visitors data entries and would minimize what you would have to learn. Hope this helps and not just frustrates/confuses you more! :p

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:dontknow:

I was just trying to get it to send the information via email. keeps saying something about extentions but they are activated on the server, just doesn't work. I'm so confused....

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I doubt this will help, but I discovered MS WORD will save as HTML which you can then open up in a web browser. It's got pretty good graphic tools, so you can make some fancy pages. What it won't do is make nice tight code from the page. You can make links, but I doubt you could do much in the way of a "fill in the blanks" type form.

I'm consulting with the web designer for my department. I send him "pictures" of how the web page should/could look, and he makes them work.

Dave B.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Sending via email isn;t very hard. The mailto:[email protected] works well. That was the first method I used on web pages. For a user-feedback page and then for a character-stats-update that would email it to me so I could update a 'roster' page. Eventually i made the 'roster' page a database and everyone updated their own information using a pre-arranges username/password. I wanted to set it up so each could log in and update information but that requires a lot more involvement on user profiles, etc (akin to what these forums do) and most of the best solutions use css or another scripting method like php, etc. rather than html.
If you do not want to learn html I am pretty sure you would not want to learn to shell into a unix account and do scripting. There are simpler methods unless you need complication. You have a 3 year old, that is complication enough in my opinion! ;)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what I found out about my free space from my ISP.

File types that are commonly found on the internet are:

html (html, htm)
javascript (js)
style sheets (css)
xml content (xml, xsl)
flash movies (swf)
graphics (jpg, png, gif, bmp)
movie files (mov, avi, mpg, wmv)
sound files (mid, wma, mp3, wav).
All of these files are client-side content files, viewed and handled by the your Internet browsing program.

The service does not include the ability to use server-side files. These include, but are not limited to:

active server pages (asp)
perl scripts (pl)
databases (sql, mysql, mdb)
other common scripting languages such as PHP.

Would one of these cause me not be able to have an online application?
when I publish the page, it has a [front page save componet] listed up top.
The test page

edit---the form that is currently there works when you send from the adobe interactive file I made but not the form in front page.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Umm, yes.. and no. :)

Most all of the type not supported can be used for what you want to do (and, indeed, more often than other methods) however, there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are javascript solutions for what you want to do which will take the info that a user fills in and email the results to a pre-specified email addess (in the 'script'). I'm sure there are other ways as well but I believe you could find apre-made javascript application that you can customize to your needs the easiest and it SHOULD work on your host's server site. And when your sister registers her domain you can point it to your DNS (IP address) and if she later on gets her own hosted space somewhere else you need only point the DNS to her site after exporting the pages over there (like a mirror copy).
Hope this helps! Maybe when I get home I can do a search but try searching for 'web page javascript app' (without the apostrophes of course) and see what comes up. Someone else might have a link they can share also! :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
oh yes, I believe 10dollardomains is based out of houston and is pretty reasonable for domain name registration.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nancy,

When you use an online form and hit the submit button, the data from the form is then transferred to another page (or script) to be processed on the server. Many service providers have basic scripts available to allow you to do email forms. For database and other advanced functions, you normally have to use a hosting provider. For what you're wanting to do, the mailto is an excellent suggestion. Here is some additional information on using the mailto :

Simple MailTo
<a href="mailto:[email protected]">

MailTo with Multiple Recipients
<a href="mailto:[email protected],[email protected]">

MailTo with Subject
<a href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=Comments from MailTo Syntax Page">

MailTo with a Copy
<a href="mailto:[email protected]?&[email protected]">

MailTo with a Blind Copy
<a href="mailto:[email protected]?&[email protected]">

MailTo with message already started in Body
<a href="mailto:[email protected]?&body=I wish to inquire about ">

MailTo with multiline message in Body
<a href="mailto:[email protected]?&body=The message's first line. &body=Second line. &body=Third Line. ">
IMPORTANT NOTE: This feature will NOT work with all e-mail programs, in which case the body information appears as a single line.

Features may be used in combination

MailTo with Subject, One Recipient and Two Copies
<a href="mailto:[email protected]?subject=MailTo Comments&[email protected],[email protected]">

Remember to use only one ? (question mark), when providing multiple entries beyond e-mail address

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gives me an error message.
REALLY LONG LINK

think maybe i missed something when installing the program or am I totally missing something easy?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Pinwheel check out these pages:

http://javascript.internet.com/forms/order-form.html
and
http://www.wce.wwu.edu/Resources/TESOL/teslform.html

You will have to extract and use what you need (pulldown 'view' then choose 'source' for the latter to see how they do it) or combine them and customize the fields for your use. Sorry but unless you purchase an expensive application that will create forms you pretty much have to do some work. The scripts are pretty well written but not specific to your application. They include validation that will prompt the user to correct erroneous data before it emails the data to your sister.
An easier way, of course, is to make a form someone can just print and fill out and snail-mail to your sister. I could spend a lot of time making the page work for you but I'd rather be riding! ;)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Nancy,

The method you're trying to use requires the Frontpage Server Extensions being installed on the web server.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Bill's onto something in reference to the Frontpage server extensions. You have to find out if your Frontpage forms will even work on the hosting platform. I don't work with the civilian sector enough to know what is routinely available.

What we use on our UNIX web server is a very old CGI called Formmail. They may be using this or something close to this. If so, it does require some basic HTML editing, but nothing too difficult.

Good LUCK!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Pinwheel wrote:
keeps saying something about extentions but they are activated on the server, just doesn't work. I'm so confused....
Yes, the extensions do have to be enabled for Frontpage. And I believe there is a different extension set for FP2000 as well as FP98. But if they are enabled then you should be able to utilize javascript. Perhaps blackskies and Dreamweaver can help you. Many folks swear by Dreamweaver. GL! :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Frontpage Server extenstions are NOT required for Javascript as Javascript runs on the client, not the server.

Java is another story. Java or Java Server Pages (JSP) is something totally different from Javascript, and it DOES run on the server.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I guess I need to wait until they give me the money to pay for the new hosting space. I'm talked to the guy that runs it and he says they support front page 2000 extentions.
My ISP, won't tell me anything.

The Adobe file that is currently on there will send with no problem. I guess it's java.... She just wanted an application that was on the screen that didn't require Adobe. Guess she may just have to deal until they upgrade from my free space.

Thanks for everyone's help. Dreamweaver program is a little pricey. I showed it to Billy and he just laughed hysterically. Said I'm pushing my luck on getting a new frontpage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts