Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
The developers have started with a very basic text editor, but it is something they can still look at. There are some challenges when font color are changed as they don't always display well in both the light mode and the dark mode, so it is something I don't recommend yet.
Yup. But i can't edit my signature (the way i'd like) without loosing that BEAUTIFUL orange text :LOL:

A feature request:
could it be possible to have colored background on a sub-forum basis? So (to say) i go in the "what-new" page and there's an added light red hue on the posts in the 650 thread, a green on the 400 ones, etc.. ? It would be nice and fast to see who's writing where.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Speaking of editing the signature, I tried to add my location there since it doesn't show in the sidebar now (I know, you have to hover...), but I couldn't edit the sig because it's too long. How many lines are allowed and can it be changed?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Speaking of editing the signature, I tried to add my location there since it doesn't show in the sidebar now (I know, you have to hover...), but I couldn't edit the sig because it's too long. How many lines are allowed and can it be changed?
Have you seen my signature? Many more lines than yours has. But that was carried over from the previous version so I don't know if I would be able to edit and keep all those lines. I'll just go with hovering over the avatar photo to see locations.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Apparently existing Sig's are grandfathered in. When I tried to add location it said it was (I believe) 5 lines too long and wouldn't let me complete the editing, but it also didn't change the original. So I guess a longer sig is ok as long as you don't try to change it.

·
Administrator
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
How To Create A Signature

Your signature can include up to 4 lines, a maximum of 1000 characters and one link. An image counts as a line. Anytime you hit "enter" on your keyboard, it will automatically go to a new line. Images will automatically be resized to 300 x 200 pixels. You can see more options in your settings to collapse signatures, always view full signature, or to not see signatures at all. The choice is yours.

Both guests and members can view signatures.

If a user has their preferences set to the default they will see collapsed signatures as in the example below for them. (They can click to see more.)

If a user has their preferences set to always show expanded signatures it will look like the example below for them. Your image can be clicked to view full size.

If you want to adjust your preferences for signatures you can click on your avatar near the upper right-hand corner of the site and select account settings.

In the left side navigation, you will see an option for preferences. Click it.

Scroll down to content options and select your signature preferences.

- Cricket

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Not clear how we can delete a post (within the prescribed time limit). There is no 'delete' command, and when I try to simply erase and save, I'm instructed to provide a valid entry.

·
Administrator
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Not clear how we can delete a post (within the prescribed time limit). There is no 'delete' command, and when I try to simply erase and save, I'm instructed to provide a valid entry.
Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as duplicate posts. Simply report the post for staff assistance. If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people’s posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket
I am finding that putting those one line ads in the body of a thread “destroys the understanding and flow” of a thread also.

·
Administrator
17,398 Posts
The removal of adverts would most likely demand a 'Paywall' for everyone. If that happens I'm one of many that will be gone. I try to view all adverts. Does not mean I must buy anything. I have bought some items over the years from some forums paid adverts.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I click on interesting ads all the time...I just think it breaks the “Train of Thought” when trying to follow a thread. I would be more inclined to click ads at the end of the thread.

I don’t want no “Squatty Potty” ad when I’m reading about “Refreshing Beverage” 😂

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as duplicate posts. Simply report the post for staff assistance. If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people’s posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket
In this instance, I replied to a post, saved it and then realized it was the wrong post. In the old system, I could go to 'edit' and there was a clear 2-step process to delete it. Are you saying that there is no way to delete one's own post within the edit time window??

·
Registered
870 Posts
I guess you could always edit it to say "This space intentionally left blank".

Besides the odd mis-placed comments you mentioned, I've deleted my own snarky comments, that upon a second reading didn't come across exactly as intended.

·
Administrator
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
In this instance, I replied to a post, saved it and then realized it was the wrong post. In the old system, I could go to 'edit' and there was a clear 2-step process to delete it. Are you saying that there is no way to delete one's own post within the edit time window??
Only mod/admins can delete a post.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Dave_J has always helped me get rid of some unneeded posts...sometimes even without asking 😂

Is bent pickles really a problem ?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I noticed just today that the is no longer a timeout for when you can no longer edit a post. In place of a timeout is a number limit so that you cannot edit more than 10 different posts (of yours) within 7 days.

NOTE: Just tested that limit. It seems there is still a timeout for posts just submitted and the 10 post edit limit in 7 days applies to posts that are older than that timeout. So if you don't need to edit a post very often and you have passed the timeout then you can still edit that post.
IOW - I recently edited several posts I submitted over a week ago with no issues and when I attempted to edit another one (my post 44 above) I saw the message about the 10 posts in 7 days limit. Yet after submitting THIS post I waited a minute and then went back in to edit and add this comment. I am guessing that after the timeout I will still be able to edit this post next week as long as I don't edit 10 other posts within the 7 day limit. Clear as mud? :D

·
Registered
870 Posts
This was mentioned a while back...seems the Most Popular Forums landing page should contain the 2013 650 and pre-2007 400 forums. They could replace The Tavern (which has dubious value on a forum like this) and New Member Introductions.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
To which "landing page" are you referring?
When I first enter the BurgmanUSA forum I am on the main forums page that shows up just like the old version with the category collections of sub-forums arranged just the same. Starting with the Welcome section, then General, then Scooters, etc. Under Scooters collection I see all the scooter sub-forums the same as before. The only place I see a popular list is when I select the NEW bubble at the upper right to see threads with new unread posts and there I have the options as shown here:

And under Popular it still doesn't organize by any particular forum but only shows threads with the most recent posts (popular). IOW, just reorganized similar to the New Posts list.

I still am using "light" mode as you can tell. I simply have my display brightness turned down on both my Chromebook and phone so it is not too intense. A trick I learned at work where I shaded my cubicle and asked for a few of the overhead lights directly over me to be turned off and turned down the brightness on my monitors to 50% and that was great on my eyes, no strain. I may be old fashioned but I like reading dark/color print on white. More like reading on paper. Oh, and my phone is set to adaptive brightness so in bright sunlight it brightens to still be able to read it just fine, but still not too intense.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts