Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used (slightly) 2004 400 from a private party in June and just this week got around to selling my 2003 Scarabeo 150. Put and ad in the paper today, and first day, got an interested buyer. I was asking $2550 and would accept $2300. My price was a bit steep for the buyers budget but he offered
$2000 cash and the balance in trade...he's an electrician. Actually there is some electrical work around the house I intended to have done this Winter, so
I'm thinking this might work out well for us both (presuming his credentials pan out). This does present the wrinkle of collecting on the "trade" portion and I hate to think of the legalese of establishing myself as a formal lienholder until satisfied,but on the other hand, a bird in the hand....so I'll buy the next round,
and am interested in what you all think...of course cash is always best, but
cash plus fair value work isn't necessarily a deal breaker for me either...

Paul

·
Registered
848 Posts
Are you a good judge of character? If so what were your impressions on the guy? What shape was his vehicle in (condition and cleanliness)? These might give insights into what the guys work is like (you may not even want him to do work on your house).
I'm a very trusting individual but would have big reservations about that deal. On the other hand you are selling near the end of the riding season and if you don't accept that offer you may have to wait for some time before you do sell.
Good luck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Paul, a couple observations for what it's worth.

1. If you make the deal, write up a bill of sale, signed by both of you, spelling out the work he is to do for you. Also, before he starts any work, ask for a Certificate of Insurance listing you as the certificate holder.

2. I insure a ton of contractors and tradesman of every sort. I know very few of them that drive new expensive vehicles. They are work trucks for Pete sake. Doesn't mean the wife doesn't have a nice new car. You really can't judge that way. I'd ask if he is self employed and if so, he shouldn't mind providing you with a couple references for work he has recently done. Contractors are asked that every day. Goes with the job. If he isn't self employed, ask if he minds you calling his foreman or employer for a reference on his work. Again, done all the time and if he does good work, he shouldn't have anything to hide.

If his clothes are still smoking, hands covered with electrical burns and snow white hair standing straight out from the last couple hundred thousand volts he took, might want to reconsider.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Judging someones worth by their appearance is dangerous. For example, many truly wealthy individuals can't be spotted as such, they live simple lives, drive plain cars, etc. That's how the accumulated their wealth- by not wasting money on showy stuff. Same applies in other areas, too.
You know, the saying about the shoemakers children always being barefooted.
If you engage the services of this electrician, do the same due dilligence you'd do hiring anyone to perform services- verify they're licensed, bonded, and get some references if possible.
Buzz hit the nail on the head.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looks promising

The fellow writes that he has held a Master Electrician's license and has worked for the local school district for 26 years...sounds pretty solid to me. He's coming over Saturday to check the scoot and the work...this
sounds increasingly workable to me. The amount of cash is equal to the
dealer tradein value according to KBB, so even if the balance falls apart,
I'm not totally screwed. Think I'll see where this route takes me....thanks all for your cautions and input...

Paul

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Just agree on something that works for both of you, put it in writing so each has a copy and it's a win-win situation for both of you! :D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I would think that the safest arrangement, assuming you are satisfied that he is really competent to do the work, would be to put the arrangement in writing with a specific value attached to the work.

For instance, call the price $2300 to be paid with $2000 cash and $300 worth of work to include the following jobs.....

If he fails to perform you have a number to sue for in small claims court. Without specifying the value of the work to be performed and some measure of that value, you are only guaranteed the opportunity to go climb a rope if the buyer fails to perform.

Ken

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
............and if and when he does the electrical work - and you are happy with it, you have a great contact for future jobs. Make a friend! :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worked out very well!

Work completed...a delightful and straight on chap...Scarabeo is sold....geesh
I gotta find a dark cloud somewhere in this silver lining....<G>

Paul

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Nice! Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Paul, stop looking for the dark cloud. The moon is in the something something as the saying goes and all is right with the world. As long as you don't live on the Gulf coast. Thats where all the dark clouds are.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
4DThinker said:
Have him do the work first, as a downpayment on the bike. When he's completed that satisfactorily, take his $2000 and give him the bike.
I liked 4Ds advice better than mine.

Darn smart ass. :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts