Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How water resistant is an automotive GPS? I have a Garmin 1490LMT that got wet numerous times and still works fine. Putting a baggie over it after it's already wet doesn't help.

Can anyone recommend a cheap Garmin with A2DP. I would like to have a wireless earphone in my helmet for directions and cell phone usage. I don't care about the sound quality

·
Registered
567 Posts
You won't be able to use your Phone if your GPS supports A2DP only. GPS needs to support Headset protocol. Unfortunately only Zumo models supports Headset.

As far as I know only older GPS models such as TomTom GO 630/730/930 support A2DP. I've been using Scala and Tomtom 730 for a couple of years. Has been working fine. The only inconvenience is that the connection is lower priority than voice communication. Which means your conversation won't be interrupted by GPS to give you new instruction. Zumo would give GPS higher priority.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If you want the a2dp and weather protection, could do a setup similar to what I did and use your phone as the gps -> viewtopic.php?p=545637#p545637

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I just put the iPhone in the right hand glove box with a cable to the power socket. No weather issues.
MotionXDrive works fine through the Scala G4 via bluetooth. Excellent voice directions and I can flip the door down for a visual look and it's out of the light so easy to read.

I get my tunes, directions and phone calls all at once plus buddy chat is needed.
MotionX has a very nice interface for music and voice - lets you balance the voice alert with the music volume all on one screen and of course the music fades out when the nice lady says Turn Left. :thumbup:

As an option I sometimes run wired headphones either to the glovebox or to my top pocket.
Clarity is better and music much better.
GPS eats iPhone battery tho so you do need a power source for anything more than a local trip.

I find the screens very hard to read in the daylight but easy when it's in the glovebox and with the voice nav you don't need to see it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
try walmart online. not much they dont have and they usually have some great reconditioned ones at lower prices that look/work like new.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts