Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was getting a small pool of coolant on the ground....did my research on here and google/youtube and tried to do a rebuild/check the o rings

and was able to get four out of five bolts out....of course, I stripped the philips screw on the top left corner, so now what? How do I get that stupidly placed thing out now without taking it to a dealer and just basic backyard tools (no blow torches lol)

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Using a dremel I'd usually cut a notch and use a flat blade.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Can't you gently lever the cover off whilst at the same time turning the stripped screw? Or maybe you could carefully drill the head off (assuming there is room to work) and then remove the screw shank with vise-grips, then tap it out to the next higher size.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Whenever I'm not sure on screws like that being too tight having a hand impact driver and hammer does wonders at loosening them.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Having the correct JIS screwdriver instead of an ill-fitting Phillips scredriver helps too.

The "joke" 2-ended screwdriver in the tool kit fits the screws perfectly.

No, it's not just about quality, the Japanese cross-head screws comply to JIS - Japanese Industrial Standard, not Phillips, which are designed to cam-out if the applied torque is to high.

Of course, if you use an impact screwdriver, the screw heads will deform to fit the screwdriver bit, which is designed for that purpose, but then the screw is ruined afterwards.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Having the correct JIS screwdriver instead of an ill-fitting Phillips scredriver helps too.

The "joke" 2-ended screwdriver in the tool kit fits the screws perfectly.

No, it's not just about quality, the Japanese cross-head screws comply to JIS - Japanese Industrial Standard, not Phillips, which are designed to cam-out if the applied torque is to high.

Of course, if you use an impact screwdriver, the screw heads will deform to fit the screwdriver bit, which is designed for that purpose, but then the screw is ruined afterwards.
JIS screwdriver kit not so expensive and excellent investment if you have Burgie or any Japanese bike for several year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts