Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a way to waterproof a GPS? I tried a baggy over mine but you have to stop to install it and while riding with a group it is not practical. Besides, you can't read it anyway when the baggy gets wet and fogs up. I like to use my GPS to see the road ahead even when not using it for navigation to see the sharpness of turns. I've seen the Givi soft cover. It looks clumsy and the one with a zipper which I understand leaks. I haven't seen the RAM hard case yet. Any recommendations out there?

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I've got the RAM hardcase on my Garmin 265,
but I still have to put a baggie on it.
The GPS units marketed to the marine/maritime folks
might be a bit more 'water-resistant'.....
Specialized market=big bucks.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a TOM TOM RIDER.......which is already waterproof........!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Never had a "waterproof" GPS and never covered it with a baggie or condom and always ride in the rain with no problems. My 9 year old Maggelin just does what it is supposed to do and never complains.:cool:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of these days.....

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
DSC02581.jpg It doesn't need to be waterproofed. It only needs to be water protected. I used a thin aluminum For Sale sign to fabricate a cover (it will make 2 covers and cuts with scissors). I used Velcro to attach it to the back of the GPS The original intent was to shade the screen from the sun but it also works as a roof. The GPS is a factory refurbished Garmin with lifetime maps I got on E-Bay for $75 and it has the same warranty as new (It was perfect so I suspect it was an overstock of new)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
there are a number of commercially made waterproof cases on the market, it's just a question of finding one that fits your GPS.

If you are a DIYer, you can buy a waterproof case that is often used in boating etc.. and adapt it for use on your ride.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Waterproof case for GPS

there are a number of commercially made waterproof cases on the market, it's just a question of finding one that fits your GPS.

Now if they just made a compatible ball mount for a RAM arm that attaches to the reservoir it would be great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Givi S850 waterproof GPS mount. It does a great job. I've been through some pretty heavy storms while traveling and it has never leaked. It fits great around the handlebars of my Burgman 650 Exec. The power cord comes out of a small opening at the bottom of the case and I keep it plugged into the 12VDC outlet in the glove box. When you reach your destination, all you have to do is unplug it, remove the Velcro straps from around your handlebars, and take it with you or turn it off and store it under the seat or any other secure area. I've added a picture so you can see what it looks like. I've found it for $58.00, but you may be able to do better with a little searching. Hope this helps.
s850[1].jpg

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

If you are a DIYer, you can buy a waterproof case that is often used in boating etc.. and adapt it for use on your ride.
Did you ever find a way to mount the the GPS water resistant box in your picture to a RAM ball?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts