Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While others have noted that the AN650 seat does not seal the compartment underneath; I haven't seen a fix. Has Suzuki addressed this issue? If so, what is the fix. I don't quit riding when the rain starts and don't relish the idea of my gear getting wet! While riding in the rain counts as a bath, I do like to keep my gear dry while touring. This appears to be a serious design flaw that should be taken care of by the manufacturer. TIA.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've been caught in the rain a few times, and have never found any water getting into my '04 650's trunk. The '04 does have a rain deflector below and in fromt of the footrest cutout, so that is certainly helping. My seat has a foam strip which aligns over the rubber strip that surrounds the trunk. I suspect some water could get through there if it tried real hard, but if the conditions are that bad I'd recommend getting the heck out of the rain.

Lastly, I never assume my trunk will stay dry even though it has so far. Anything I put in there that CAN NOT get wet is in it's own waterproof bag.

Dave B.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Although the seat does not technically seal, I've never had problems with water getting in to the underseat trunk, even when hose washing the scooter. It just hasn't been an issue. I think there is enough overhang to prevent that under any reasonable circumstances. I suppose if you directed a high pressure water spray directly up under the edge of the seat it would do it, but that isn't what you encounter with rain or normal washing. Where I do get a bit of water leakage is in the two non-lockable dash compartments.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ride the scooter as my commuter everyday, rain or shine, including what seemed the interminable rain we had in the Bay Area up until June (well past the usual end date.) I've not had anything get wet at all under the seat.

Despite the lack of sealing, I think there's enough overlap to keep most any water out unless directed at the gap.

Greg

·
Registered
307 Posts
My 650 was scheduled for it's 600 mile on Tues. Of course, we had pouring rain. Not wanting to miss the appointment, I drove the bike about 10 miles in driving, sideways rain. The dealer then had scheduling problems and left the bike sitting outside in the rain for the entire day and night. The next day, after the 600 ck, the dealer pressure washed the bike before giving it back to me.

Not a drop of water under the seat!!!!!!

Hope this example helps.

Bill

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I can confirm what others have already said.

I frequently wash my '03 650 at a coin-op car wash, and use high pressure on the seat, floorboards, windshield, and body panels. (But not near the wheel bearings or radiator!) I always park it out of doors. I once drove for two days in a driving Pacific rain storm, from Seattle to Albany, Oregon, and back.

I've never had a drop inside my trunk, except once when I spilled a soda there (the lid wasn't on tight).

I have found a few drops around the outer rim of the trunk after washing, but never inside.

As far as I'm concerned, there is not a "serious design flaw" with regard to water entry on the Burgman 650s.

Ben, have you had a problem with water in your trunk? Maybe your seat pan is bent or something.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Water in under seat compartment

Thanks guys for the reassurances! I guess I saw a problem where none exists.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts