Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After trying numerous places for mounting a 1-litre water bottle on the bike (bungees, elasticated net, etc) only to have it fall off and splatter on the road, I bought this insulated holder (with a zipped opening ) and fixed it to the seat top. I have not yet tried it on a run (I will in September)but I reckon it will stay secure. I don't have a pillion rider, but it won't get in their way- and would be very handy should they get thirsty!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I don't generally run with water, unless I am going for a longer ride, and then I normally have my touring bags on, which have water-bottle holders built in.....only thing is that the water soon heats up here in Florida.

I have been known to run with a chilled 24-pack wrapped in towels to keep cool, under the seat as well though!

I figure that since I'll be pulling over if i need a drink, as long as it's fairly accessible, I'm good to go.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you're worried about water heating up, I highly recommend the Hydro Flask. I have the 2 liter version and love it. Even with the cap off it keeps my ice intact over night. The bottle maybe be overly hot but the contents stay nice and cold.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
After trying numerous places for mounting a 1-litre water bottle on the bike (bungees, elasticated net, etc) only to have it fall off and splatter on the road, I bought this insulated holder (with a zipped opening ) and fixed it to the seat top. I have not yet tried it on a run (I will in September)but I reckon it will stay secure. I don't have a pillion rider, but it won't get in their way- and would be very handy should they get thirsty!
I like that!

You could also try a metal water bottle. That way when it falls off, at least it will not splatter on the road.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like that!

You could also try a metal water bottle. That way when it falls off, at least it will not splatter on the road.
The problem is in the fixing. With my (note:insulated) holder I simply added a piece of 3" by 8" 1/4" thick plywood inside the holder to form a firm base, drilled and countersunk two 5mm holes through the butt-rest top and secured it all underneath and out-of-sight with 2 bolts. BTW it's on a 3 brothers extension.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The problem is in the fixing. With my (note:insulated) holder I simply added a piece of 3" by 8" 1/4" thick plywood inside the holder to form a firm base, drilled and countersunk two 5mm holes through the butt-rest top and secured it all underneath and out-of-sight with 2 bolts. BTW it's on a 3 brothers extension.
Here are 2 pix of the set-up: One is a view looking into the lined holder showing the wood support with a piece of white rubber glued on it and the recessed bolt heads, the other pix is of the hidden securing bolts at the back with an aluminium strip for adding a bit of seat-top strength to the plastic. (I have tidied it all up since I took these pix)

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
A standard 500ml bottled-water bottle will fit in each of the upper glove boxes of pre-2013 Burgman 650s. Bonus points if you can find a matching pull-valve cap (as from a bottle of dishwashing detergent, but I've seen bottled water bottles with them as well) to enable one-handed use.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A standard 500ml bottled-water bottle will fit in each of the upper glove boxes of pre-2013 Burgman 650s. Bonus points if you can find a matching pull-valve cap (as from a bottle of dishwashing detergent, but I've seen bottled water bottles with them as well) to enable one-handed use.
I don't drink whilst riding, and anyway my glove-boxes are usually full of other things. The 1 litre bottle fits snugly within its insulated case, and is secure, and can be refilled for free at the various hotels on route. :p

·
Registered
352 Posts
How about using an insulated "lunch box" as a tunnel bag? Many of the newer ones have an insulated bottle-holder on one or both sides. Velcro it to the bottom or front, and/or open the seat and run the shoulder strap around the hinge. ??

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very creative low-tech solution. I like it.

I wonder where I can find one of those zippered cases.
Just enter "insulated bottle holder" and you'll see lots of them. I got mine on EBay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts