Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I've mentioned that my 650 has been out for a month now, but didn't post a thread. Thought I had most of the bases covered, and I was right in that regard.

One day, I went to start it after it had been sitting for a week and a half. Nothing. No crank at all. Checked the side stand, switches, brakes, fuel pump spooled up, lights dimmed, etc. everything was ready to fire, but... No fire.

I've had other pressing things to do, so I finally got into it last week. Tore a part the right hand switch, the electrical relay, jump the battery, jumped the relay (and it cranked) but... No start. I had an electrical engineer at work check the schematic and he focused in on the side stand switch. I talked to an experienced Burgman mechanic and he said that the side stand switch is known to go out.

So today, my buddy and I got into it. Tore it all up, but still nothing. Finally, I was looking at the disconnected switch harness and noticed that there was a two inch section of wire missing. WTF? Looks like some critter got in there and chewed it up. We replaced the missing section and she fired right up. Disaster averted as my next move was to call a tow truck.

No real lesson here, but to check that harness as a possibility. Just really relieved and happy I'm not spending a small fortune. :D

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Rats and squirrels both will chew up wiring. I've known several people that have had rats chew up the wiring in their cars. Squirrels got into my Dad's motorhome and chewed up a bunch of the wiring.

Glad you were able to find the problem and fix it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
At the church I work at we just had to have the main power line replaced that went to the youth building. Gophers destroyed the buried wire, not sure if they ate it or simply tore it up. It was not in a conduit although it was certified for in-ground. BUT obviously wasn't varmint proof! The new line is in a varmint proof conduit.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The 650's CVT is vulnerable to those filthy b******s also. Adding a screen of hardware cloth over the cooling air outlet is a good idea.

Here in Fungus Corners I've seen norway rats (LARGE ones, up to 12 inches nose-to-tail-tip) eat just about everything, including chewing through radiator hoses to lap up some coolant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You may want to check out LeDude's Burgman Center on you tube. He has one called: "Burgman 650-DIY-Burgman Rodent Motel. Worth a look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts