Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't wanna, but I have to now....:sad1:

I have always been able to keep the scooter clean (since May last year) by a simple damp sponge and drying cloth, wheel cleaner for the brake dust, etc.

Unfortunately, this past weekend was 3 very nice days, so I went out on all of them.

Unfortunately, since we recently had a lot of snow days, there were many areas of still melting snow piles all over the place. All mixed with the usual salt chemicals they use to help keep the roads clear.

Now the machine looks like a hideous mess of white and brown road spray over every part, especially the lower ones, except the seat, which only escaped the same fate by me sitting on it.

This mess is way beyond the damp sponge method. I must get out the hose, bucket, soap, etc, and do it the old-fashioned way.

Any advice on what and where I should or should not be putting too much water? Don't want to ruin any electrics or flood something where water has no business being.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The bike is designed to be operated outdoors, so if you keep the pressure washer away from the bearings, you should be just fine. Water shouldn't hurt anything. Rinse it of with the hose first. I take two buckets - both with water but one with a generous dollop of dishwashing soap. Use the other for rinsing the sponge. Shouldn't take but 15-20 minutes to do the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Put your water proof gear on and ride through the local carwash.
Quickest way I've found to do it. :cool:

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
There are some Area's that are Not Water Proof, Such as Pressure washers Can Do a Lot of Damage, As far as Soft Water Stream,Spray, it's Ok such as rain, The 400 is not Water Proof, The seals are not very Good, with the Tupaware, One reason why is Put RTV Silicone around every Plastic to Plastic Contact, to make it more water Proof....

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
With hose or pressure washer stay away from wheel bearing, personally I wrap plastic grocery bag around switch commodo area on both side, this only to minimize corrosion, do these by hand only when finish bike wash.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
I use a brush made for car washing...
it has long soft bristles...
an adjustable-spray nozzle on the garden hose
to wet down everything below the dash board...
then the soapy brush from the bucket, & a final
fresh-water rinse from the garden hose.
Use an old bath towel for a soft dry of the
body panels. A 'clean' shop rag wet from the
garden hose for wiping off the dash & handlebars..
20 to 30 minutes, & I'm done.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Put your water proof gear on and ride through the local carwash.
Quickest way I've found to do it. :cool:
@Scootereno washing method? where is that video? no video = no scootereno with waterproof gear on riding through a carwash! LOL! :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all.

I feel better now.

Except, the weather is cold again and more precip may be arriving here soon.......:cussing:

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Has Any One ever tried to Use Distilled Water to wash your Bike!! here in the CA the Tap Sucks!! loaded with Chlorine, Some time i wonder if it's Causing Damage,Such as Rust etc,etc

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I spend $25 at the detail shop at my local hand car wash. Usually a couple times a year, to supplement the sponge baths that are normally enough. At 66 and 230 lbs, I'd rather part with the few bucks, every six months, than spend the same amount in co-pay for the doc visit, trying to get down and under and into all the places that pick up that really sticky black road grime! :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Wow, 25 for a quick wash? I pay around 8-10 for a pretty good job. Just have to find a small hand wash place. Or what I like doing is supporting the charity car washes.

·
Premium Member
6,178 Posts
I was going to wash mine yesterday after church. Well time seemed to get away & didn't get it done. Walked out of the fast food place at lunch & saw the front of it. I need to make time to wash mine it's not dirty it's filthy. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I use Windex and shop towels..........but then again, I don't have issues with salted roads......

·
Registered
585 Posts
The bike is designed to be operated outdoors, so if you keep the pressure washer away from the bearings, you should be just fine. Water shouldn't hurt anything. Rinse it of with the hose first. I take two buckets - both with water but one with a generous dollop of dishwashing soap. Use the other for rinsing the sponge. Shouldn't take but 15-20 minutes to do the whole thing.
That will clean it up real good. And strip off most if not all of the wax you might have applied last week. Get a good car washing soap - it won't strip the wax and works perfectly good. I use Meguiars car wash on all my vehicles.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Don't use a pressure washer. (1) Wet the bike all over with an ordinary water hose set to soft spray. (2)Wash the dirt off with a big sponge and a bucket of warm water with a car-wash additive. (3) Spray it down with the hose (4) Dry it off - either naturally in the sun/wind or by means of a towel-type cloth. (5) Spray it with 'Pledge' furniture polish (It's what most of the the car-showrooms use over here, I guess it's available in the US) (6) Polish it up (and it will dazzle!).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts