Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from my local powersport's dealer where they had uncrated a new 2015 for me to look at. I was really disappointed. I hadn't seen the new body style that came in for the year 2013 and I'd hoped to see improvements but compared to my current B650, this 15 just didn't feel near as comfortable. I know that there are supposedly many improvements in the engine and trans but I guess I'm going to pass and just look at a new 2012 that are still available out there.:rolleyes:

Sam:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
What differences did you notice with regard to the comfort? Can you be more specific? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had 2010 and then purchased 2013. At first I was not sure, seemed to be little difference, other than those state like engine braking.

I later sold the 2010 and on the delivery trip found that the 2013 handled better in comparison. Comfort about the same, and gas mileage up the claimed 15% or better.

As I tow a trailer I can tell you that the 2013 is more or less complete redesign, and generally for the better. The frame paint work is also much better.

I would suggest that you try both then decide.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My complaint is mainly cosmetic. The colors are dull and not as safe as a bright white, the black wheels look cheap, and the passenger backrest should be optional with a combo luggage rack/topbox mount standard.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I had 2010 and then purchased 2013. At first I was not sure, seemed to be little difference, other than those state like engine braking.
I like the UID, whereabouts are you - North or South Island?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the new 2015 I looked at, the seat was obviously much lower than my B650, which brings the legs up even further in that Japanese beloved 'Jockey' position. The available leg room, as in how far the legs could be stretched out was less and the seat was not nearly as supportive and comfortable at least to me. It seems like every new design of almost any bike or scooter always mentions how the seat has been lowered and or the front of the seat modified to allow 'shorties' to flat foot at a stop. The handlebar position seemed not as high and not as far back too.:mad:

The paint was ugly. How can anyone try to pass off flat black and grey as attractive.:(

Since then I've been looking for a new 2012 online at a good price. I found one the other day for $7,250 out the door but when I called back yesterday it was sold!:confused:

Beware of Dealer pricing, as what you see in their adds has nothing to do with what it will cost you to actually take possession of the scoot. Some I've called end up adding between $1,000 to $1,500 to the cost for freight, setup-PDI, dealers inventory whatever and other nefarious fees.:rolleyes:

The search continues:D

Sam:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to hear more comments from those of you who have either owned both the old and new Burgman 650 or who may currently own both. What differences have you noticed? What do you like? What don't you like? I currently own a 2008.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I would like to hear more comments from those of you who have either owned both the old and new Burgman 650 or who may currently own both. What differences have you noticed? What do you like? What don't you like? I currently own a 2008.
Thanks.
Rode my 07 Standard for over 5 years, now on my '14 for about 2 months (and still riding it conservatively). These are my personal impressions.

Seat: I might be one of the few who has no problem with the stock seat. The '14 seems a bit narrower, and I feel I have a firmer foot plant because of that. Spec-wise, the '14 is actually 0.2 in higher (than the 2012). The ground clearance is 0.2 inches less on the '14. BTW, I'm 5'8".

Weight: The '14 seems lighter, maybe due to tranny changes. Surprisingly, the specs on the '12 and '14 are the same 613 lbs.

Handling: The '14 is more responsive - initiating turns seems quicker - it feels "lighter on it's feet". The wheelbase is 0.4 inches shorter than the '12, although the overall length of the bike is 0.2 inches longer. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Engine: Horsepower is rated the same, but my 07 had better pulling power from 0 to 50 mph. Engine braking is still there, but quite a bit less. It's much better behaved at slower speeds, but I miss it in the twisties and in the hills. I'll have to adjust my riding to use the power button more often, and I'm on the brakes more. Gas mileage: 10%+ on the '14.

ECVT: Forgive my terminology, but it seems 'tuned' to run in higher gears to provide better gas mileage. In Auto, from 25-45 mph, in either steady speed or gentle acceleration, I get definite vibrations in the floorboards and handlebars - like the engine in lugging due to being in too high a gear. If I twist the throttle a bit to accelerate faster everything smooths out. Shifting manually thru the gears also solves this 'problem.' I'm definitely going to have this checked out at my 600 mile service later this month. If this is normal behavior, I'm not going to be happy. DO ANY OTHER '13 & '14 RIDERS NOTICE THIS??

Windshield: It's OK, but even at it's highest position, it is well below my eyeline. Wind noise is about the same on earlier stock shields - not great. I had a Clearview on my 07, and will probably get one for the '14.

Storage: Front cubbies dimensions are different, and volume may be a bit less - my disk lock fit in my '07 with room to spare, it's a tighter fit in the new bike. Trunk: smaller, still easily handles two full size helmets, but it is two inches narrower. On my multi-day rides I packed the 07 to the gills, and am going to miss that space. For the first time, I'm thinking about a top-case. For everyday riding the trunk is fine.

Appearance: I like the new body styling much better. I like the looks of the analogue gauges, but I think taking-in all the data was easier on the fully digital dash. Color: Like many, I think Fibroin Metallic Matte Gray is pretty bad, but color is way down on my list of priorites.

I'm pushing 63, I'll probably ride the 650 for another 5 or 6 years. My '07 had a bit over 20k miles and probably would have served me well for those years. Basically, I wanted the new style for the rest of my 650 riding days. (I plan to ride my 400 thru my 70's ;) )

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The engine is not lugging, you can just feel the power pulses from each combustion.

I actually like the occasional feeling of actually being propelled by by an internal combustion engine and not an electric motor.

I guess the group of engineers who designed the engine to have low-end grunt must have been really surprised when they discovered that the other group of engineers, in charge of the E-CVT had decided not to let the engine rev below 3k rpm except from take-off.
The 2013 redesign, which lets the engine rev 500 rpm slower and lets the CVT upshift sooner, has improved the fuel economy noticeably according to the owners, just as teachers of fuel efficient driving has been preaching since the first oil crisis in 1973: Accelerate swiftly to your cruising speed, and maintain that speed in the highest possible gear. You use less fuel by staying in gear and applying more throttle than by gearing down and applying less.
If I could only get my 2007 E-CVT reflashed with the 2013 firmware, so I could get the current 3k rpm lower threshold lowered to rpm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what I suggest and it's free advice so it's not worth much: Ride your pre-2013 B650 to a dealer that has a 13-14 or 2015 B650, park them side by side, sit on the new one and feel the comfort or lack thereof and make up your own mind.

I and my Son, who has had 2 B650's, inspected the new bike thoroughly because I was going to buy it---they got the thing from their other dealer, just for me but both my Son and I were disappointed in the changes. We drove home and sat on his B650 and there was a world of difference in the comfort and ergonomics, at least to our perceptions.

I didn't mind the minor styling differences. I really didn't mind the paint. I really liked the new improvements in the powertrain etc but as I mentioned, the comfort was just gone, so no deal.

I'm still looking for a preferably new 2012 or maybe a low mileage and gently used 2012, so if anyone knows of a dealer that has one, please PM me:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I did just that back in Sept, except mine was parked outside, and I went inside to do my comparison. To me, the 2014 felt better ergo wise. The seat to handlebar distance felt more open, which will increase comfort on all day 600 mile rides. Agreed, the seat felt ALOT more firm than my650, but that's how all new bike seats feel to me (including my new 400) - firm yet supportive - until you break them in. and then they feel soft, but spongy. I did feel like I could touch the ground easier on the 2014, and that to me is the one benefit I can appreciate if I upgrade to a new 2014. The lighter feeling when I flick side to side comes in as a second. But the increased 10% FUEL ECONOMY isn't a big enough reason to change. That comes out to another 12-15 more miles per tank full, nice to have, but not enough to sway me. Had suzuki found extra space to increase the gas tank to 5 gal,...... yea, I'd upgrade in a heart beat.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Here's what I suggest and it's free advice so it's not worth much: Ride your pre-2013 B650 to a dealer that has a 13-14 or 2015 B650, park them side by side, sit on the new one and feel the comfort or lack thereof and make up your own mind.

Sam:)
This is the best advice. I was very interested in the BMW maxi when it first came out. I sat on one at a motorcycle show, and that was all she wrote: no Beemer for me (among other things, too).

Regarding the seat high - although the new model specs out at 0.2 inches taller, that's measured from the ground. I suppose it's possible that the floorboards are higher too, shortening the distance between them and the seat. At 5'8" I don't experience any difference and have the same range of leg/foot positions as my 07.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for all the input, everyone. I think I might try and get on one during Suzuki demo days but nice to hear everyone's opinions. It helps anyone interested in thinking about making the change. I'm not sure the changes are enough to sway me. Especially since I am really enjoying my 2008 with very few miles on it still.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Right I’ve been holding back, but here are my impressions of the new Burgman 650 as compared to the previous model.
I had a 60 plate model for three years, bought with demo mileage on it and just about run in. When I part ex’d it had just less than 28,000 miles on it. Ridden daily and used as my primary transport even for business travel. It was fitted with a large Top Box, Panniers and a Givi touring screen.

The reason I changed was simple – I just felt like something new. The old bike was performing well with no issues at all but you know what it’s like.

So now it’s had its first service and has loosened up a bit here’s my thoughts -

If I was riding both bikes blindfolded, just before I crashed, I would have thought these two feel totally different. I don’t know what Suzuki have done or how the engineers have achieved it but the feel of the bike is so different. Much lighter, more like the 400 than the heavier old model.

Is this a good thing? Well the first thing I found was that I was over steering. No matter what comments might be made about the weight of the older model it could be put into the twisty bits with confidence. A bit of counter steering to set the bike up and it would track brilliantly. If you needed to harden up it responded and I for one felt very planted and safe.

With this new model I was being heavy handed and my first impressions were that it was crap in corners. I felt as if I was constantly altering my balance, steering angle, degree of counter steering etc.

I always felt that with the 60 plate that I was sat in the bike rather than on it. With the new model it felt the opposite - most definitely on it.

The bikes narrower, very noticeably slimmer. The first time the Mrs got on she commented that for her it was much more comfortable and she certainly seems happier between stops.

Performance during the running in period has been best described as lumpy. Everything’s bedding in tyres, brakes and of course the motor.

All the other 650 features are still there. The heated grips and seat, the adjustable screen. The power point has been relocated to make more room for a plug. The hand brake is alongside the seat now.

Now the first service has been carried out – Padgetts of Batley – and a couple of hundred miles put on what’s my thinking.

Performance? Now I can open it up more, it’s superb. Very smooth indeed and although I haven’t had it in a thrash I’ve no doubt it will do the business as least as well as the old one.

One thing though, the heavy engine braking which was such a feature of the previous model has been, for want of a better word, tamed! It’s still there but when you shut off the effect is more muted. I like it a lot. You got used to the old one and used it in your riding technique but this just feels more refined. The Mrs doesn’t head butt me from behind quite so much, (Even on the Bike).

The brakes, as they have bedded in have improved tremendously. The twin discs at the front work providing good stopping power. I found a quiet stretch of road and did some emergency stops. I got the ABS to kick in a couple of times but the bike stopped straight and true.

Handling? The tyres are now bedded and I’ve got used to the weight loss. With experience and familiarity my opinions completely changed. The bike feels much livelier and agile. With my improved and adjusted technique it tracks round bends like its on rails. I would state that any problems were totally mine. I think that if I had changed models say to a T Max, I would have made the proper allowances but because it’s the “same” bike I didn’t adjust properly.

Am I pleased with the bike? Yes absolutely. Is it a major improvement on the previous model? In my opinion No. It’s more a group of slight improvements. The old model is still a well deserved “bench mark” in the Maxi world. This new model is different, maybe not so imposing in a rear view mirror but still good. At the moment I am waiting to have the Top Box rack and Pannier mounts fitted so I can go off for a mini tour. The Givi screen is already on.

One small criticism – there’s no 650 designation on the bike. I liked the 650 Executive on the side panels.

So if you have an old model, don’t bust a gut to get the new one, it’s not that much better but when you are ready for a change you won’t be disappointed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a quick additional comment - what's it like to manoeuvre around when parking etc?

No one found the previous model easy to push around especially with the motor off. I've struggled a few times getting the Bike up a slightly sloping car park. It's something you learn very early in ownership and becomes second nature after a while to pick your spot with care.

I said earlier that for me the new model feels more like the 400, well this carries over into this area. I find it very easy to sit on and just push back even with the motor off. Having just bought a 09 400 it really does compare very well.

I can't believe I missed this point. It's the single most noticeable difference between the models.

Obviously these comments relate only between Burgman models in comparison, I have no idea what a T Max or Silverwing would be like to move around.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Frankiej1949 - Thanks for your remarks. Very detailed. I have a 2006 and will probably be trading on a new one in a year or two. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Franki, thanks so much for the time you put into this very detailed overview. Your thoughts really do shed a great deal of light on the whole comparison thing and I really appreciated how you described your differing take on it over time as you have owned and ridden it! Great job. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Great comments, Frank, especially for me the added one about pushing around. The seat to my '09 is pretty wide for me when standing and, I barely manage to flat foot it. This leads to marginal footing sometimes and, it sounds like the newer bike would benefit me. It will likely be a few years before I am in the market for a new one but, I will probably go for a used, newer model.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Good review -- thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Frankiej - excellent summation - especially since I agree with you just about 98%. When I'm out of my probation period, have my first service, and can then ride more aggressively, I'm sure I'll be 100% in sync with you.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts