Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
141 - 160 of 205 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,188 Posts
I dug the scooter from under it's cover for my morning ride to the base. It was a cool and damp 51F. The weather folks say it will be in the upper 70's this afternoon. I am more than ready for it. With all that has occurred during the past year, we all need some sunshine and dry weather for a few days.

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Another nice day for riding... sort of.
Sunny and just over 60F so that was very nice. But a constant 25-30 mph wind out of the south with gusts over that pretty much all day. Expecting rain tonight and for the next few days so figured a ride was in order for today.

Decided on a route that was mostly north/south with starting out going a little west then east in the middle. Rode 79.8 miles. A lot of straight roads, as is common around Iowa, but also some low hills and curves. Just working on restoring my travel legs... er... bum. IOW, time in saddle travel endurance for some motorcycle/camping trips this season. Though I've yet to have any issues with doing a lot of time in the saddle on my Corbin seat. I can sit on that for a really long time or a lot of miles. I guess mostly this is for mental endurance much more than physical endurance.

On the way around I passed near the High Tressle Trail Bridge so stopped to snap a photo. This used to be a railroad bridge that was replaced, and then the railroad was taken out and replaced with a biking/walking trail to add to the trail system throughout central Iowa. Since I usually don't stop for photo ops while riding I figured it would be nice to do once in a while. I also stopped for another photo while crossing the Saylorville Lake Reservoir dam at the south end of Saylorville Lake. That's the marina you can just see way across the lake just to the right of the water tower (actually it's a third of the way up that side of the lake).

·
Administrator
22,287 Posts
Come Rain or Rain, tomorrow I will be riding my Burg to the VA Hospital for Covid Vaccine poke #1 35 miles one way on I-5 superslab. Expect to have about 120 miles of back roads on it by time I get back home.

Boeing RUSH HOUR(S) traffic will decide my routes. No HOV lanes and the Boeing workers tend to drive bumper to bumper at 80 MPH in a 60 MPH zone and then screech to a stop, 80 MPH and screech, over and over.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
And THAT's the kind of idiocy that keeps me looking for the county and state side roads.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
First Ride of 2021 Last Week (Hudson Valley in NY)

Took the Big Burger out for the first ride of the season last week (after gluing the reused foam back on -- see Most Ridiculously Priced Burger Part? ). It was a rare warm (72°F), if overcast, day. It'll be awhile before the next ride, because, being retired, it's not as if I have to commute, go out in miserable weather, etc.; here's the current forecast:

In any event, my riding buddy (on his BMW RT) and I headed south, to some roads in NY's Hudson Valley region. Here's a snapshot of part of the ride down:

(If you want to zoom in or out, here's the actual map link: 1782-1790 U.S. 9 to County Rd 103 .)

We had lunch in historic Rhinebeck (at a pizza place that George Washington ate at), and afterwards rode east, over to and then up the Taconic State Parkway.

And here's my video of that ride, as shown in the mapped area:

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
Second ride of the season last Wednesday. A couple of snippets (19 min. and 8 min.) from that day, for those needing to kill some time:

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 · (Edited)
Well, darn.
Did it again.
Went to pick up a few things at the Lowe's store 1.5 miles away and ended up with nearly 12 miles added to the Burgman. A little chilly today but haven't been riding as much as I should.
I know, not many miles. But any miles on 2 wheels are good miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Regular Suzuki motorcycles will start and run with the stand down as long as it's in neutral. Occasionally I will verify that it dies when shifting into first with stand down, usually when there are people nearby I'm trying to impress.
Last Sunday I took a 50 mile ride to Rabbit Hash in Kentucky going down the back roads even took the ferry from Cincinnati over to Indiana then over the river to Kentucky. Had a great time on my Burgman 650 Executive Trike. Had to listen to some music didn't want to put ear buds in so I used my suction cup speaker. I found one that is blue tooth stuck in on the dash 5w of sound. Put on some Bruce Springsteen tunes and listened for 4 hours. It was a great day for a ride first one this spring as here it has been wet and rather cool. This was by far the best day to ride.

Stay safe out there bunch of nuts texting and driving.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
Actually 5 days instead of just one nice day...

Spent the long weekend, from Wednesday until today, camping and riding with the ST-Owners guys in Spring Green, WI. Only half the guys still ride the ST, most on the ST1300 and a few on the ST1100. There were 2 CTX1300 bikes. The rest ride BMW or another make of bike. And then there's me on my Burgman 650. Was a fun 5 days. Thursday night there were 3 very severe thunder storms, one right after the other. The first in the train of storms blew my tarp off the poles so I hung it up to dry the next day and put it away after that. Was half expecting the camp staff to be riding through the campground telling everyone to take shelter that night but they didn't. A little rain other nights but all was at night... for the most part.

Traveled a total of 750 miles. This was a relax time trip but I still managed to ride some miles while there.

A link to some photos: 2021-06 LOCSTOC

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
It is very dry all over the upper mid-west. Camp sites were as in my photos very dry in spite of a few overnight storms. Most years this campground and camp sites (we always occupy the same sites) have green grass all around. And the soil is very sandy here so any rain goes right in the ground and disappears almost as soon as it stops raining.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
After too much time building a deck with no time to ride I finally came up with some time for a ride.

Actually I'm waiting on one more composite board that the vendor just cannot seem to get right. First they sent me the five 16ft long boards I ordered but they were grooved edges for hidden fasteners which I did NOT order. Then they made another trip to my home to swap out the wrong kind of boards for the right kind, with solid square edged boards. But one of those had big old gash right in the center of the length of it. I need full 16ft lengths with no blemishes since I'm not going to cut out the middle and have a seam or butt edge in the middle of a run. So now I'm waiting on that one board to be replaced before I can finally finish the deck.

Meanwhile my wife told me to go take a ride since I can't "work" on the deck! So I did. Only 78 miles but some very nice roads. I even know where some rather curvy roads are in central Iowa so I rode down to Winterset, birthplace home of The Duke (John Wayne). While there I stopped to have a chocolate malt. It was a very sunny day with temps around 87-88F so seemed appropriate to have some kind of ice creme. Then off to that curvy road with the warning signs about how much slower I should go for the S curves and double S curves coming up. Of course I didn't pay much attention to those. More fun that way. I did stop at one of the Covered Bridges of Madison County for a rare (for me) photo op. This one is called the Imes Covered Bridge. Look close and you'll see my Burgman in there.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
Did the wifey kiss you when you got home??? She might be checkin for choclit.
Unfortunately she thinks she's more mature now and doesn't do that any more. :( Besides, I told her about it anyway. Got nothin' to hide... except a gf at every port... er... campground. Wait, did I just say that on a public forum?! Well, gotta live up to having been a sailor in the US Navy. I just don't use sailor language... very much. Don't want to give away too much.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Oh, and if my disease of wanting to spend money on new stuff rears up and takes control and I just happen to come home with a new 2021 Super Touring thingy (you know... read my signature) then I'll really have a hard time explaining that one. Maybe I'll have to still try to hide it until it's too late to return it! She's all about returning things she buys until she can't.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Yep, Fire suppression system. There have been a few really stupid crazy and also dumb people who seem to think it's OK to see how fast these 150+ old bridges burn. One of the famous bridges has had to be rebuilt 3 times. Now all the Bridges of Madison County have fire suppression as well as video and audio surveillance. Unfortunately the system somewhat spoils the legendary historical look of the bridges but is needed due to a few dim-witted persons.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Escaped for a ride today after several days without. Went to my son's house to help with moving furniture and then took off to find the long way home. Didn't start with a full tank so knew my miles would be limited. As it was I made it about 69 miles round trip. Crossed the lake on the long bridge. There were a LOT of boats on the lake. Made it look crowded even. Almost no wind so crossing the Mile Long Bridge (as it is known around here) was an easy ride across. Took the scenic route around in the country. Almost was ran over by 2 women drivers. One crossed right in front of my front wheel as we were coming around a curve to a stop light. Almost activated the ABS on that one. The other was a woman who was coming to a stop sign at a T intersection. She was on the leg that ended and I was coming down the road that crossed it. I had my turn signal on and was planning to make a left turn onto that leg. She decided to pull a U-turn right in front of me as I was turning in. WHERE ARE THE BRAINS IN SOME DRIVERS!!! Oh, and did I say there was another SUV following me who was going straight and another car behind this dim-witted woman? I'm not saying that most women drivers are bad. I sometimes see only men drivers who act more like spoiled brats on the the road. But other than those 2 incidents it was great to get out and ride.

Oh, and a bonus. When I stopped to fill up just before I arrived back home I added 3.1 gallons and calculated that tank was just over 60 mpg. Trip meter A, which I always use to track how far on a tank, showed just over 190 miles and the last bar out of 5 on the gas gauge was still not flashing. That means I could have gone more than 30 miles more before getting close to the bottom of the tank. I figure I could have made that tank of gas go 220 miles at least if I ended up at the gas station. Which is really good for only a 3.9 gallon tank.

·
Premium Member
9,817 Posts
Last Thursday, in the next-door state:

(Five and a half minutes.)

141 - 160 of 205 Posts