Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
121 - 140 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,123 Posts
Phenomenal day for a ride! 60 degrees and sunshine, went the 80 to Columbus GA then back. Stopped at a diner then went through Plains to see if Jimmy was out and about (he wasn't).

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,123 Posts
Was going to go on a overnight trip to Valdosta this week. Today is supposed to be awesome weather but with rain predicted the next two days it'll get postponed. I'll ride in cold with no problem but I'm just miserable riding in rain.

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Was NOT a very nice day for a ride today. Thought about it. Wanted to. But just not really likely...

That 20 inch drift went all the way across the front of the house and driveway. I estimate this one was an average of around 6-8 inches. There is a 14 inch drift across in front of the door to the back deck... and that is one story off the ground (ranch style house with walk out lower level in back). Now that the plow went past the street at least looks the same as my driveway in this photo. Almost.

Reactions: Blacktruck

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,188 Posts
Was NOT a very nice day for a ride today. Thought about it. Wanted to. But just not really likely...
View attachment 92758
That 20 inch drift went all the way across the front of the house and driveway. I estimate this one was an average of around 6-8 inches. There is a 14 inch drift across in front of the door to the back deck... and that is one story off the ground (ranch style house with walk out lower level in back). Now that the plow went past the street at least looks the same as my driveway in this photo. Almost.
No offense @rjs987 but there needs to be a dislike button available for pictures like that. I miss the snow a little but then I snap out of it and come back to my senses.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
OK now, if any of you are located where the temps are too warm for this nasty white "Stuff" GET OUT AND RIDE. And think of those in places like mine who can't. :rolleyes:

Oh, @Blacktruck , no offense taken. I totally agree with you. Only it doesn't take me long to "snap out of it." When I was young and immature, and just getting done with US Navy technical training, and had to submit my top choices for where my next assignment would be, I had a choice of Brownsville, TX or Brunswick, ME. For some really strange reason I was missing having 4 actual seasons and picked Maine as my first choice! There was a major Thanksgiving blizzard in the North West that started while I was on the way to move there. I had not yet unpacked everything and was already thinking "OK, I've seen it and now I'm done with it and now it can all go away" but I had to stay for the next 3 years. I spent those 3 years wishing I was smarter and had selected Brownsville. Right now the only reason we still live here, where this kind of weather is possible and normal, is for the grandkids. We have 3 within 35 minutes of us and one way down south in Louisiana. We thought for a short time of moving to where my parents had moved many years ago, Green Valley, AZ. But none of our kids/grandkids would likely come visit very often so that idea faded away as fast as I hope this snow does.

·
Registered
'14 650 ABS - Ingrid
62 Posts
It wasn't too nice - but at the same time, not too bad today (temp hovering around 50F).
Had to go get a spare key cut for Ingrid (bought off Ebay and works like a charm) so I took the scenic route (if there is such a thing) through old-town Wichita. Caught this image with the Wichita flag emblem painted down the whole side.
That's Ingrid - now with 160 more miles on her than when she arrived on that giant transport truck just nine days ago.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Got the wheel back from dealer with new tire and bearings mounted last Thursday. Finally had a nice day today with some time to put it back on the bike. I think it's getting easier... or maybe just getting to memorize the steps. But I can never remember just what the torque for the axle nut should be so I keep the service manual handy for that. Took as long to wiggle the caliper back on the disk as it did to all the rest of the steps to get it mounted. Now I'm back on the road. Well figuratively speaking since we are in a weather advisory again with rain overnight changing to a mix changing to all snow by morning. Was 42F today so I did take off on a very short ride after getting the wheel put on just to check things out and then parked it for at least another week. The high temp for tomorrow is due before 6 AM when it passes below freezing and then continuing down from there for the next several days. Suppose to get down to a low of -13F by Wednesday morning and stay in single digits F either above zero or below zero for temps for almost another week... with snow events every 2-3 days. I guess the oil change will have to wait for a few weeks... unless I can convince SWMBO to let me bring it inside to do it. Not likely since we just had new carpet put in not so long ago.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
I just had to go get gas in the Burgman 650 today. The station I go to is Costco and is normally just 1.4 miles down the road. But due to the snow/ice on the wrong side of my street I threw some kitty litter over the slick stuff just off the end of my driveway (I'm on the wrong side of the street for quick melting) and turned left instead of right going out of the driveway so I could keep to cleared pavement. That way it was 2.5 miles to the station instead. Then I decided what the heck and took off the long way home finding as many clear paths as I could. I figured I could just turn around if there was not a clear path going forward. There was a short section or two that was covered with a narrow path through that looked just wet. I know better than that but took those very carefully doing little more than coasting over them. Still LOTS of roads with sections that are completely covered, and I count those where the snow/ice is packed down all the way across in sections longer than a tenth of a mile. Straight and slow is your friend in these riding conditions. I like curvy roads like anyone else but when snow/ice cover is a big potential curvy roads tend to get WAY TOO EXCITING, if you know what I mean.
I ended up riding 16.4 miles around town and a little out in the country and passed a bank time/temp sign on the way that told me it was still -2 F. So that's my best for this season so far. I still think I'll get another slightly longer ride in tomorrow morning just to clear a few more cobwebs from the brain from sitting inside too much. It is expected to be colder. We were fortunate to have missed the latest snow storm that ended up passing by to the south of us. The last 2 days there has been no snow and none expected for the next 2 days... maybe.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,188 Posts
8 inches of snow here. No problem if I were at home. Here in Texas, that's a problem. I stocked up on what I needed before this craziness started and now I am just waiting it out. Not sure why but this winter is wearing on me. Usually I don't mind it, not so much this time. I wish I had my tractor and loader here. Not a snow plow in town I think. Weather rant is over.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 · (Edited)
Family obligations that cropped up late last night put an end to plans for the really cold ride for this year so I was thinking I would settle for my last cold ride I posted about earlier.

Well, family obligations completed and returned home. The temps were significantly warmer than the official low of -17F this morning and were still at -6F so I decided to suit up and head out to see what it would be when I reached the farthest end of the route I wanted to ride earlier today. I am thinking that my blood circulation is definitely not what is was when I was younger... like 10 years ago when I rode at temps as low as just below -15F.
On my way out I passed the bank time/temp sign that is just down the road from my house and it showed -4F. I found the clear path on a little bit of country roads, a little bit of city streets, and even a little bit of 55 mph highway to get to the next bank time/temp sign at the far end of my route today. Only went 20.7 miles this time. A little more than yesterday but good enough to satisfy my urge to ride for a little longer. That second time/temp sign showed -4F also. I only encountered a narrow ribbon of packed snow/ice in two places... at the entrance to this banks parking lot and at the end of my driveway. At least those were the only places I had to ride over so no issues in spite of all the other roads that are still 100% covered in the area.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Nah, they really wanted to be there so I wrapped them up to stay good and warm.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
The weather was sunny and over 70F today. Was similar yesterday but I was recovering from my 1000 miles one way trip last week driving down to Lafayette to visit with my son and his family.
The weather the week before was not really so great for 2 wheels. The cold didn't bother me, though it was still very cold then. But the snow/ice on the roads were an obstacle I didn't want to deal with. It had snowed and rained just after my last ride 3 weeks ago.
So I took off on my first real joy ride just for fun today. Didn't go far at just 40 miles but enjoyed it very much anyway. I removed the heated gloves controller from the bike and the heated gloves cable from my jacket and the extra liners that would not be needed until next cold season. Temps are expected to stay above freezing for the next several weeks. I even broke out the new summer riding gloves I bought last fall for this ride.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Took off on a ride today before the rain (and possible light snow) set in for the next few days. Rode on one of the favorite roads for motorcyclists in the area and did see several other bikes and a Spyder going the other way, either solo or in pairs. Lots of gentle curves and hills on this road just enough to be interesting. Ignored the yellow suggested speed limit signs for the curves and new rear tire was ready to handle those with no issues. In fact grip was better than my last tire on the rear providing a bit more confidence around the curves. Temps stayed right at 59F +/-1 almost all the way around. was overcast so didn't have any sun in my eyes... which is sometimes nice. The sky just getting ready to rain tonight. Ended up about 60 miles for this ride with no place to go, but just having fun going. 😁

121 - 140 of 200 Posts