19,945 Posts
Vic, three here from your 'Special Place'

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
This is the one I bought. Didn't want to wait 2 days for Amazon to get it to me but I guess I could have since I haven't been able to get to using it yet. I like the 1/2 inch drive. I have adapters to go from 1/2 inch to 3/8 to 1/4 inch and everywhere in between so I'm not really restricted to any one drive size. Should be able to find this one also online but I think Duralast is an AutoZone brand. I also wanted to test fit the bit before buying to make sure I had the right one, which is something AutoZone let me do since I rode the Burgman there to get it. Was worth the little bit of extra cash to do that.

IMG_20200817_194735.jpg

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Continuing my travels to my son's home to (slowly) work on the basement finish. Working on the family room now. Added over 200 miles doing this just this week.

Last weekend, Thursday through Sunday, I went on a moto camping trip to Wisconsin. Added only 760 miles for that one. Weather was NOT cooperative. Steady soaking rain all the way there, about 280+ miles, and most of every day except the last one. Was a really good test of the rain gear. Frogg Toggs kept me dry... when I remembered to not leave the bottom of the jacket folded up at the waist! GoreTex boots worked as advertised mostly. Seems in a soaking rain water will eventually get through GoreTex... but not much. Socks were damp but not wet. I don't expect my hands to stay dry in these conditions and my heavier gloves are older so they do let a little wetness in at the finger tips. My other wp gloves worked well. Glad I brought them both. MPG was not great in rain and 50-60 deg temps. Never is. High humidity and low temps lower mpg but still managed around 52-53 mpg at best until temps went up, then back into near 60 mpg in the dry warmer temps.

Filled the tank yesterday and with temps over 75-80 F all week. Trip meter showed around 180 miles since last fill and still had the last solid bar on the gas gauge, though the tank symbol just started to flash. Ended up with 206.2 miles and filled up with 3.168 gallons for about 65 mpg! Love those slower miles for the mpg. Wish I could get that at highway speeds. But it is nice to see even the mpg display show over 60. 😁

During this trip I realized that the Shinko tire I put on the front does NOT do well on wet pavement. Especially smooth wet cement, newer asphalt, tar snakes, paint and manhole covers (of course). Had to slow way down for many tight turns and curves that I would not have (as much anyway) with the B'Stones that I was running on before. I also realized that the head shake I had noticed with this new tire was due to the Shinko following every little crack, ridge, rain groove in the pavement. On smoother pavement it tracks fine but on those irregularities and blemishes in the road I feel like I'm on a steel grate bridge. So I just manage as if I am and all is fine.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Continued the same since my last post but not as many miles. Was sick for a whole week with a bad cold and then back to riding to Ankeny (son's house) until this weekend. We had our first measurable snowfall Sunday and then yesterday we had what is being called a "snow squall" that dumped 8 inches of white stuff in Ankeny (26 miles North-East of my home). It was whiteout conditions on my way there Monday morning. Only between 1-2 inches at my home. Ground is too warm for it to stay long so while there was significant build up on the roads they were just wet by late afternoon. Still a layer of white on the grass in most places. Temps low enough to cause re-freeze this morning so likely no riding until I can verify clear pavement on my route where I ride. No one expected this weather so nothing was done to prepare the roads.

So, not such a nice day for a ride these last few days! :cry:

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Darn, snow before Trick or Treat makes for a long winter. How did you know you just had a cold and not the Big C 19 ? Did you go to the Doc. and get tested or just tie up some loose ends and wait for the Reaper ?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Symptoms... didn't really have the right ones to indicate the virus of the year (no fever, no breathing difficulties, no change in senses of taste and smell, etc) but did have the symptoms I usually get with just a bad cold. I know symptoms vary. But I also know myself and how I get sick when I do. This time was very typical. All better now, but not the weather. Cold drizzle all day today with temps hovering close to freezing.

·
Administrator
19,945 Posts
We still do not know what the wife and I had back in Feb/Mar time frame.

It got to 60F here today so I did a short ride over to Costco to fill up the Burgmans tank and fill a 5 gallon can for my truck. Costco is 7 miles away. Left to go a round about way home. So my round about ride up into the Cascade Mountains got a bit longer than planned. I had to go back to Costco to top off again, took 3.2 gallons.
Only 1 other bike out there today.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wife and I both had something back in March ... My wife worse than me. Antibiotics, steroids ... Nothing helped. Toughed it out for three weeks, and had a persistent cough for a couple months after. Haven't been tested for an antibody, but we are kind of antisocial now. I call it crowd anxiety. 😉

·
Registered
513 Posts
We still do not know what the wife and I had back in Feb/Mar time frame.

It got to 60F here today so I did a short ride over to Costco to fill up the Burgmans tank and fill a 5 gallon can for my truck. Costco is 7 miles away. Left to go a round about way home. So my round about ride up into the Cascade Mountains got a bit longer than planned. I had to go back to Costco to top off again, took 3.2 gallons.
Only 1 other bike out there today.
when I first joined the forums a wise ole dude here explained to me how bad a Burgman side tracks. ;)

·
Administrator
19,945 Posts
Bob,

Today i went to drop our ballots off in a official drop box and it was 7.2 miles there. When I got back home my odo had moved 14.6 miles..... in the POURING rain. Roads were slick as grease on a teflon pan. No sidetrax today. On two corners at 35 MPH in a 40 MPH zone the front tire tried to slide out, it was that greassy out.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
@Dave_J , I noticed that today as well. Rode to my son's house 23 miles away and while the temp was down to 44*F the conditions were dry. Not so much on the way home about dinner time. Temps had gone way up to 48*F and there was drizzle for some of the ride home and streets were wet in other places where the rain moved on. I was reminded again how bad my Shinko tires are in the wet. As I mentioned elsewhere, the rear tire is fine but the front tire really wants to slip out on wet pavement. Makes taking a traffic circle/roundabout very exciting, even at the recommended speed.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Do you guys get an Indian Summer ?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Sometimes. We were having one during the first week and a half of this month with dry and temps around 80F (normal should be around 65-70F at that time). Now, not so much... Thunderstorms or threat of snow and low temps around 30F barely making it up past 40F for a high. I'm calling it climate change. Oh, wait, that's what's happening ALL THE TIME throughout the history of the earth and not just something new during the last 50 years!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Streets were finally dry after 3 October snow falls, one was very significant... more than 2 inches. Rode to my son's house 23 miles away as I have done many days since May. Going around one of the round-a-bouts I was leaning a little more than I usually do and going just a few mph faster, but still not enough to scrape the center stand pads yet. I felt the front tire slip out on me! :eek:
I didn't go down but it was close. I knew it was the front due to the way the bike handled through the curve, and I've BTDT before when I low sided my ST1100 when that front tire slipped out on me in a hair pin turn so I know what it feels like. Very different than when the rear tire slips out. I instinctively jogged the front wheel turning just a bit more into the curve and the tire gripped again and pulled me back up. I ended up taking a much tighter track than intended but still stayed within my lane and still didn't scrape the center stand! I'm thinking this Shinko front tire may be just a bit faulty in the compound mix for the sidewalls. Pavement was dry but it still slipped out.

I checked on the miles I have on the rear Shinko tire tonight and its been on there for just over 7100 miles so far and still looking like more than half the tread left. 😄

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Thanks for write up....2nd best feeling in the world is recovering from a possible wreck.

I will keep watch on others having problems with the front Shinkos before committing to a purchase.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Took a closer look at the rear tire today in better light (my eyes are not as good as when I wasn't old) and there is more wear than I was thinking. Still a lot of miles left. So more than 7100 miles on it now and figure another maybe 2000 miles to go before I have to start watching for the wear bars to get even with the tread. Still better miles than the OEM tires. But I do like the performance of the OEM front tire way better. Maybe I'll go back to a Shinko rear with a B'Stone front? I was getting used to that combo.

101 - 116 of 116 Posts