Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Was a fantastic day today with lots of sun, very little wind, and temps around 54-58F. Needed to pick up a bag of tea and a few dozen pre-planting pots from my son's car while he was at work. He works at a coffee roastery that supplies several coffee houses in the area and also writes programs for remote ordering of bags of coffee and tea online from the business (iPhone and Android and web apps). His work place is about 8 miles away, a lot closer than his house. So off I go on the Burgman 650 with the new top case mounted and once again took the long route on country roads to get there. Rode 47 miles this time. That included a trip across the Mile Long Bridge across the middle of Saylorville Lake and then back across the dam at the southern end. Photos are from the dam. In the longer shot up the lake you can just barely see the Mile Long Bridge way out about 6 miles out at what looks like the upper end of the lake (about the left center of the photo left of the taller sign post). That bridge is actually only half way up the lake. It's fairly tall off the water, enough for all sailing boats to easily pass under it, with a low railing on each side... not the place to ride on a really windy day. There were other motorcycle riders out and about but not a lot. Many still haven't polished 4 months of dust off their chrome yet.
IMG_20200331_133325.jpg IMG_20200331_133501.jpg

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Continuing my isolating from others, but not in place really unless you count the entire 5 county area around my home, I went for another ride today. Rode just under 64 miles toward the south and somewhat west. Came within a few miles of John Wayne's museum and birth home but didn't bother to go into town. That place wouldn't be open now anyway and I'd have to park the bike to see it so turned onto another county highway and just kept on riding. Just keeping my social distance without loosing my sanity. A really fine day with no clouds and temps in the mid 60's F. I broke out my spring/summer gloves for this ride which are good for around 60F and up. Soon will be taking out the wind liner in the jacket and pants to get a bit more air flow. But today was really comfortable. :D

No errands or shopping today. Just an essential sanity check ride.

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
Bob, I hate you! :p

;)

I could sute up and do a 20 mile loop out in the country and see about 5 cars. But no people within 6 feet.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Getting in my miles while I still can. Only a matter of time before our governor finally decides to implement a strict stay at home mandate with legal consequences as the surrounding states to us have done.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Needed to visit the Post Office so rode the Burgman. Was only around 34F the whole way. Wore my Nitrile gloves under my riding gloves. When I parked the bike I traded my full face helmet for a face mask. Only one customer was at the counter so waited at the floor marking for them to finish. Funny thing is the floor markings are 6 ft apart but the 2 clerks at the counter were only 3 ft apart so if they were helping more than one customer people would have to be too close for the CDC recommendations. Once again took the long way there but not as long as I could have. Only rode 17 miles this time.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Perfect riding weather yesterday and today - around 70 and sunny. Ride and hike yesterday on the Helix, and a country ride on the Burgman today. Met a Burgman (or something similar) riding with a red Helix like mine...two bikes I've never met while riding before.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Here in Arizona, the governor implemented the stay at home order on the 31st at 5pm. Got home at 3 after a long 160 mile loop quiet ride because I had been busy the few days prior with errands (that are probably allowed after the order) and I just knew that that day was going to be my last day for a whole month to get my riding ya-yas out of my system.
That said, I may still use the bike for needed resupplying errands some time during the month just to keep its juices flowing.

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
I have to go get gas for the lawn mower and leaf blower. The weather for the next 5 days is mid 50's and dry. I will strap a 5 gallon gas can on the Burgman and ride over to Costco to get gas for both.

I will have my N95 mask on for the trip. In a car the air coming head on is going thru a Cabin Air Filter. On a bike it does not so if the Ya-hoo in front of you sneezes out his window, you ride right thru the cloud.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
...if the Ya-hoo in front of you sneezes out his window, you ride right thru the cloud.
I've wondered about this, especially since I tend to ride not-too-far behind cars that are going 10 mph under the speed limit. My hope is any virus particles would be sufficiently diluted/dispersed in the open air that there wouldn't be enough to cause an infection. Might should follow your lead and wear a mask until the time comes I can't ride.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Warmest day this year so far. High temps over 75F. Went on my periodic essential therapeutic mental heath ride and rode the Burgman around the countryside for 32 miles. Maintained a proper social distance the entire distance.

Had some other things that needed to be done also. Checked the air in my wife's scooter tires and the John Deere riding mower. Put the JD mower battery on the battery maintainer (forgot to do that recently so battery was low) and checked oil and filters. Pulled out the hose so my wife could wash the car (her request). A few other outdoor things to prepare for the growing season.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm cleaning off the storage shelves in the garage (20 years of junk, dust and mouse poop) and have stuff piled up behind the Burgman, so the only bike I can get out at the moment is the Helix. Many perfect riding weather days lately, so I put 110 miles on the Helix the past couple of days - twisty backroads and scenic country lanes. Therapy for troubled times.

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
I got in 14 miles today. I had to run out and get some items for Prego Daughter that has moved back home. She was needing it fast so no 75 mile sidetrekking.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
After pushing my small mower and sitting on my JD mower for some time around the yard I just needed to be on only 2 wheels for a change.
So took off on a short jaunt around town and out a little into the country for 26+ miles. Last time for a few days. Temps are turning much cooler tonight and there's talk of that 4 letter "s" word for late this weekend. :eek:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
rjs987, when all this stuff is over and we can ride a little farther afield, do make some time to ride to the Driftless area and take some pictures. Getting photos that put a face to that riding area are hard to come by and half the people from both Iowa and Wisconsin that I ask about it say they have never heard of a "Driftless" area.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Few who even LIVE there know where it is that they live. I didn't know about it when I lived in Dubuque, IA which is right in that area. Provided there is no shelter in place orders in June I'll be riding right through the middle of it up through Prairie du Chien to Spring Green, WI for a ST-Owners riding/camping event. The featured activity is riding all over the place in the Driftless area mostly on the Wisconsin side of the Mississippi River. Another area that is interesting to ride through is the Loesse Hills along the western edge of Iowa. Though not nearly as big as the Driftless area.

I'll try to remember to stop for a new photo or two. Here are a few from my past rides in that area.
Starting off with a trip on my 2005 Burgman 650 in NE Iowa. This was on my way to the Bily Clock Museum in Spillville, IA. A highly recommended stop if ever in NE Iowa.

2007DavisRally 017.jpg 2007DavisRally 018.jpg

This is where I crashed my ST1100 on a hairpin turn at the Mindoro Cut just east of La Crosse, WI. Front wheel hitched a ride on a brass padlock half way around the turn. Crash was at "A" and planned regroup point was at the Cut at point "B" about 0.3 miles away.
100_2194.JPG mindoro cut turn location.jpeg

And this is high water in the Wisconsin River on my way back from my trip to Spring Green in 2016.
IMG_20160911_102414382.jpg

All of these are in the Driftless area. I usually don't stop for photos very often once I get going down the road so I'll try to do that on my next trip or two.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Yesterday morning this is what it all looked like outside as it was climbing up to 32F at this point.
IMG_20200417_072340.jpg

So waited until today to get my ride in with a friend from my former job. It was essential that I go to Pella, IA to pick up some Dutch Letters and a few other goodies. I put in my order and paid by phone and did a curb-side pickup. I let the person who brought out my order just drop it in the storage box under the seat so I was able to maintain my social distancing. Very windy today, around 25 mph, with gusts up to 40 mph. Rode across a mile long bridge over a lake near Pella. Fortunately the wind was straight on from in front of us while crossing that bridge. The ride was about 129 miles today with temps in the upper 50's lower 60s F.
IMG_20200418_144320.jpg IMG_20200418_144512.jpg IMG_20200418_144608.jpg

·
Administrator
18,022 Posts
Hey, pictures of the Dutch Letters!!!

But please, no pictures of 'French Letters' ;)

Dutch Letters..jpg Dutch Letters

VS

French Letters.jpg French Letters

·
Premium Member
2,368 Posts
61 - 80 of 88 Posts