Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
Good reminder Daris. An honest review from other users is a valuable tool that members of an active forum have available.
So far I haven't gotten the new coat and pants. I did get a new helmet. HJC IS-Max II. It has been so busy here lately that I have not pursued the other things but when I get back from Illinois after the break, I will make an order for the other stuff. I do know what I will get but just need to pony up the CC and smash that order button.

I know somebody that most likely got the coat you recommended so that helped.
If you get a chance check the Xmas Thread and see what Santa put my name on.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Good reminder Daris. An honest review from other users is a valuable tool that members of an active forum have available.
So far I haven't gotten the new coat and pants. I did get a new helmet. HJC IS-Max II. It has been so busy here lately that I have not pursued the other things but when I get back from Illinois after the break, I will make an order for the other stuff. I do know what I will get but just need to pony up the CC and smash that order button.
Pretty good helmet, that (I have one also, and had the first version of the IS-MAX too). There are better modular helmets, but few that are better value for the money.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Actually Monday night before Christmas.

Another opportunity to turn a 1.5 mile round trip to Arby's (dinner while my wife entertained a few of her friends and I have a gift card for there) into a short 12 mile ride to get there. It was dark after 6 pm so didn't really want to go far out in the country. Of course that's where the better riding is anyway. Temps were in the mid 40s F so no need for the extra liners and electric heat yet. Expecting Christmas Day to be around 56F, more than 20 deg warmer than normal!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Weather still nice today. High around 44F. Rain expected tomorrow and maybe snow just after that as temps drop the next few days. So decided one more ride before the end of the year.
Actually my wife suggested I should go for a ride just as I was thinking of it. She doesn't usually suggest that.
Took a different route than I've been before for about 40 miles. Same roads I've been on at different times just changed the combination of roads taken a bit. Temps stayed around 44F all the way around.
Still not cool enough for extra liners or electric heat. I'll start adding those about 10 deg lower.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Considering that it is January 1 and I am in Central Iowa where normally I expect to see snow all over and temps below freezing...
It is a VERY nice day today with the sun shining and roads are clear so decided to go for a ride on New Years day. Not something that normally happens around here.
Temp was around 34F when I started and made it up past 40F most of the way around. I rode 67 miles today. The humidity was a bit high so temp felt a little cooler than the number on the temp gauge but still no need for any extra extra liners or heated gear yet.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
I dressed up for a 'Ride to Sunrise' this morning. Left at 6:15 AM for the 1 hour ride up to Snoqualmie Pass summit (I-90 ) to be there by 7:30. It was 42F when I left. It got down to 33F when I was 8 miles from the summit where all traffic was stopped. A RV and 18 wheeler had a carnal mating incident and the State Troopers had the road closed for clean up.

Reactions: ibuzzard

·
Registered
220 Posts
I dressed up for a 'Ride to Sunrise' this morning. Left at 6:15 AM for the 1 hour ride up to Snoqualmie Pass summit (I-90 ) to be there by 7:30. It was 42F when I left. It got down to 33F when I was 8 miles from the summit where all traffic was stopped. A RV and 18 wheeler had a carnal mating incident and the State Troopers had the road closed for clean up.
Hope you brought a thermos full of coffee.

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
Hope you brought a thermos full of coffee.
Turned around and went back to North Bend for breakfast at a friends restaurant. :grin All you can eat Huevos Rancheros Con Chorizo and Vietnamese Coffee. His place was packed as I was eating seconds.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Nice new year's day here, too. Sunny and got up to 50F this afternoon. I worked on some "power mods" on the Helix (that's a relative term, lol) and then test rode it. Then took the V-strom out for a nice spin in the twisties with an interstate blast at the end. Also had several Oxford heated grips that were loose, so I reglued them with Gorilla glue. If it stands up to the heat long-term (and should according to the specs), that should do the trick. Couldn't ask for a better first day of the year.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Busy day, but nice.

All I had time for was to run some quick errands on my Vespa, so I'm not sure this counts for here...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Busy day, but nice.

All I had time for was to run some quick errands on my Vespa, so I'm not sure this counts for here...
Did you RIDE the scoot?
Then it counts.

I would think pushing it around the garage or carport would not count. But if you actually ride on it, then yes. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Temps around 42F today and weather prophets are calling for chances of snow later today so I took off for a short ride through the country. Only rode 33 miles since I didn't want to be out when the snow arrived but was a nice ride. I am realizing that getting older is causing my circulation to get worse. I used to be able to handle temps down to just below 30F with just my PolarTex gloves and primary jacket liner. Last year I needed to add an extra liner and turn on electric heat for the hands around 35F. This year seems to be closer to 40F to start with the electric heat. I guess I'll just have to start getting out and walk around the neighborhood more to improve that.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This is becoming a really nice habit.
Yet another trip to the store... 4.5 miles round trip turned into 15 miles round trip. Wanted to test something with my Tourmaster jacket. I currently have the Flex Series 2 jacket which has a mesh base, an outer solid shell, and an inner thermal liner. When temps go below 40F I sometimes will also add the joined rain and thermal liners from my previous Flex Series 1 jacket that this one replaced after being shredded in a low side crash that year (no liners were being worn but only the outer shell). That older jacket did its job since there were no injuries but the jacket was trashed. I can usually get down to around 15F with this combo and added heated gloves. Adding more layers to get even colder. The outer solid shell of my current jacket is starting to fall apart. The collar has holes in it and the zipper on one pocket is broken and unusable. The other pocket is showing signs of breaking as is the main zipper. All the edges are frayed and I've replaced the velcro strips all over at least twice now. I consider this to be fairly good considering I have worn the jacket in one configuration or another almost every day since summer of 2010 and I ride to work with it almost every day as well as longer trips.

The one jacket I want to replace this with is the TM Pivot Touring jacket. The main difference is that instead of a removable solid outer shell the Pivot has very large zippered openings. 2 on the chest, almost half the front, and one that covers almost the entire back. The covers for these do not remove but fold down inside the jacket. It also returns to the dual inner liner configuration (rain and thermal liners like the previous jacket) rather than just a thermal liner inside. The problem with the Pivot is that it is a discontinued item and becoming very hard to find at a reasonable price, if I can find my size at all. I won't pay MSRP for any jacket since there are too many to be found for much less.

The alternate choice for me is the TM Intake Air 5.0 jacket. This one is full mesh (like my current base layer) and has the dual inner liners but no outer solid shell. I've heard from someone (sorry, don't remember who) that they had the 4.0 version and used it down to around 25F with all the liners in.

This was my test: I removed the outer solid shell of my current jacket but added the thermal liner plus the dual rain/thermal liners from my older jacket. I rode on the Interstate for part of my ride and with temps around 40F was very comfortable with this configuration. After I stopped at the store I added my Frogg Togg jacket over it all for the ride home and found that was almost too warm, tending to being hot, since the rain suit was substituting for the solid shell. I'll have to test again when the temps are closer to 20F to see how this works for me. If I am still comfortable at that temp with this configuration then I may just go for the Intake Air 5.0 jacket instead since I really don't think I'll be riding nearly as much in colder temps as I did when I was working. When I was riding to work on the bike the morning temps were right at the low for the day, which is when I usually was best able to compete in the coldest ride contest. But being retired I tend to sleep in later and daytime temps are warmer before I get out, and I only really get out when I feel like a ride for fun since there is no more ride to WORK! :grin

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Maybe not the nicest day for a ride but...

Ok, I'm feeling restless and frustrated with the weather during this time of year for the last few years. The cold I don't mind. Well, warmer would be nicer but I live in central Iowa so it gets cold here this time of year. It used to be that we could get a snow event over one or three days and regardless how much it would be long enough before that happened again the roads would be cleared and dry for several days and I could ride. Lately it seems we get a snow event over one to three days and there would only be one to three days and we get another one, then another 2 days and more snow, then another 3 days and more snow, and... Not really long enough for the roads to clear before we get hammered again. And usually now the temps start to warm up to start melting what is on the streets and more snow dumps on top of the melt turning to ice. Etc, etc.

Well, had significant snow last weekend AND right after the temps dropped to near zeroF. Even the high temps stayed close to zeroF so no melting even with the sunshine. I had to scrape my driveway multiple times just to mostly clear it. And now we expect more snow to fall during all of the next 3 days. So I just decided I needed to get out on the scoot before that happened and will have to see how the roads are as I go.

So I bundled up this morning and took off. My own street still has ice/snow on both sides including about 4 ft off the end of my driveway but the center of the street was just passable for most of the way to the main road. Some sections along the road were looking clear of snow but not so clear of a very thin veneer of ice. But enough grit was poking through that taking it very carefully I could keep going without slipping too much. Good thing my scooter has a VERY low CG making it really easy to keep my balance, but even so the rear wheel did slip/spin just a little in a few places along the ride and once while coming to a stop at a stoplight. Almost all the main/major roads/highways were clear with the lanes on the south side having some slick lines where car tires beat the snow into black ice. I stayed in the center where it was mostly drier. My ride took me two towns west of home for a total short round trip of 31.4 miles. My thermometer at home showed about -2F when I started. In Adel I turned around at a local bank (about the half way point) and headed back. That bank has a time/temp sign so grabbed a photo there. Same as at home: -2F (minus 2 F or almost -19C). I took a slightly longer route coming home just to make sure I stayed on well traveled roads. Some places I had to be careful to pick my lane position to stay in the least slick track. Wasn't too hard really. My own street and the street near the bank at the half way point were the worse of the roads traveled. Photo is of the end of my driveway and street and also the bank sign.

I did get to test a new configuration for my riding gear. 2 years ago I had to replace my riding pants so went with the TM Venture Air 2.0 pant which is mesh and has both wind and thermal liners. I added my Frogg Toggs rain pants over this for an outer solid shell. I've mentioned before I am looking to replace my TM Flex 2 jacket now and am considering something less complicated. So I removed the outer shell and wore it as mesh with the thermal liner installed, and as I usually do at these temps I added the wind/thermal liners from my previous jacket and a fleece jacket under that. Then I added my Frogg Toggs rain jacket over it all as a substitute for the solid shell. This combo worked out great and kept me warm the entire ride. I was also wearing my Turtle Fur neck gator and turned on my Gerbing heated gloves. I was comfortably warm all the way there and back.

At the moment price is directing my decision about what jacket to get. The one I really would like, the TM Pivot, is basically out of production in my size and the one or two places I can still find it want more $$$ than I want to spend. My next choice right now is the Cortech GX Sport Air 4.0. That is currently also the best priced of what I am looking at. My third option would be the TM Intake Air 5.0 jacket. All of these have the wind and thermal liners that can be added inside, one or both as I want. If I need an outer solid shell I have my Frogg Toggs and also another insulated wind breaker that fits loose enough to go over everything. So no loss, effectively, for riding in the cold. And I like the almost full mesh of the last 2 choices (similar to the mesh base of my Flex jacket) for hot weather riding.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am glad to watch OTHERS ride in severe weather. Being from Ohio originally, I am ashamed to say , at least in regards to cold/climate issues, I have become California-ized, my comfort range has narrowed significantly in the nearly 40 years since I was able to escape.

If you’ll send me a good copy of you riding in the snow, I’ll have it enlarged/framed and hang it on the wall above the wood stove, I’ll be happy to just live vicariously through you!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
If you’ll send me a good copy of you riding in the snow, I’ll have it enlarged/framed and hang it on the wall above the wood stove, I’ll be happy to just live vicariously through you!
That would require convincing someone in my household to brave going out in this weather to actually take that picture. Maybe for now just capture the photo of my scoot with the temp sign in the background. Or one of these: (mine is not the Gold Wing in that 3rd photo).

Attachments

Reactions: ibuzzard

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Was mostly sunny and 42F today so I took off on an afternoon ride. Was a very nice 75+ miles today. Roads were clear other than some run off streams running across. Mostly the E-W roads had water across them and the N-S roads were mostly dry. I wore my Flex jacket in mesh mode and also added 2 layers of thermal with the wind liner inside. That was enough for this ride. Filled up with gas just before returning home. I'm still getting 55+mpg even with one ride at below zeroF and this ride.

I did finally order my new jacket Thursday. Ordered using Buy on Google using the $20 off online coupon (which expires after tomorrow). I went to the local Suzuki dealer last week and tried on several jackets to verify size since they did have some of the same brand I wanted, but not the same jacket model. My new Tourmaster Pivot in HI-Viz will be arriving Tuesday.

Saw an interesting sign on my way around. I didn't stop to take a photo but guess I should have. As usual I just like to keep on going without stopping. The sign was on the entrance to a small town cemetery and said:

St. Marys
Have a nice day
It just struck me as funny being the sign to the cemetery.
-

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Received my new Tourmaster Pivot Touring Jacket in Hi-Viz yesterday. Fit is exactly what I expected, though it is one size letter bigger than my old TM jacket. My old one was XL. My new one is XXL. Yet they feel like they fit the same. Tourmaster did change their sizing charts a few years ago so anyone buying a new TM Jacket to replace an older TM jacket should be sure to buy one size bigger (though the actual inch measurements are similar between the old size and new one size bigger). Can't wait until warm and even hot weather returns to try out the new features of extra large mesh panels built into this new jacket. But for now, with those panels closed up and the dual thermal/wind liners installed it is actually a slightly warmer jacket than my old TM Flex 2 jacket.

I know this since I took the scoot on a Dentist appointment this morning for 13 miles round trip. 24F when I left and 26F when I returned. There have been a few warmer days over the weekend at just below or just over 40F, and even one day just over 50F. So all roads are clear and dry. There was snow falling south of home but no chance of it getting up here today per the weather prophets.

I wore the new jacket on my ride and verified this new one is slightly warmer than my old one. Yet with all the mesh I should be fine when the temps approach 100F. Panels on the upper 1/3 of almost the entire front of the jacket unzip and the panels fold down inside the jacket to open very large mesh openings there. Also almost the entire back of the jacket is one big panel that unzips and also folds down into a pocket at the bottom to expose mesh. So not just a vent but almost the entire back is open mesh. There are also vents on the biceps (instead of the shoulders) so air flows up each arm and out the back. The Hi-Viz is not overwhelming but definitely makes the jacket visible both front and back and some on the arms. It's a discontinued item in the Tourmaster lineup but they currently still have some available on their web site. A lot of online stores no longer have it or don't have it in all sizes or colors. I just didn't see anything I liked coming up new to replace it or my old Flex 2, at least with the same features for being essentially all season (hot, mild, cold, wet) and I was not about to spend twice the MSRP of this jacket for anything else that may come close. That's one big way I maintain being financially independent during my retirement years... don't spend much money to get what I need. :grin

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
aahhmmm are you sure it was the JACKET that changed from a xl to a xxl? swmbo has offered the opinion that some of my riding gear appears a bit more snug in the middle, (hers too but I aint sayin )

Reactions: rjs987 and Dave_J

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
@mikeyMarine , I'd say it was a combination of the two. Tourmaster did change their sizing charts in 2017-2018. My old jacket says it's XL at 46 inches (chest). It still fits now like it did when I bought it. The new Tourmaster sizing chart show a XL is now 45 inches. I tried ordering that same size before I new about the change since my old jacket still fit, it was just getting worn out but the XL that came was incredibly tight all over. I could barely get it to zip up in front. Had me worried that I'd have to go to 3XL but was sure I didn't grow that much! I measured myself a dozen times to ensure I bought the right size. I am now a 47 inch chest (or maybe a little more depending what shirt I wear). I guess my old jacket stretched out a little. My NEW jacket is XXL at 48 inches (though their chart says 49 inches but the 48 is verified by an independent vendor who verifies their measurements in house) and it fits exactly like my old jacket. At least it feels like it does. :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 98 Posts