Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
And we just had a little drizzle off and on. Next week might bring some very cold temps in the mornings. Weather prognosticators can't seem to decide if there will be single digit F temps above or below zero (+5F or -5F) so will see what happens when that morning arrives. Same forecaster keeps alternating between those extremes. Big change from mid 40sF to low 50sF for highs and about 10-15F lower for lows.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Wanted to ride this weekend but too busy with family. Was thinking of a ride today but temps started out below freezing with freezing rain coming down. Likely now most places are just wet with the continuing rain coming down, but like I said... MOST places. Some frozen spots on the roads still. And with freezing rain that makes any frozen patch as slick as... well ... you know...

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
OK, so it was a bit nippy this morning...

I finally got out for the first ride of 2022. Only 20 miles but it was a bit nippy out. Temp was right at ZeroF (0.0F) (-17.8C). It was colder earlier this morning, a few degree below zeroF, but I didn't feel like getting up that early so didn't start my ride until about 6:20 am. Besides, we are providing day care for our littlest granddaughter yesterday and today so had to be home for that by just after 7 am so wanted to squeeze a ride in today sometime.

I have the feeling this may have been the coldest morning I'll see for many weeks. Tomorrow is supposed to return to above the normal high temps at 36F (normal is 31F).

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You be cray-cray....."a bit nippy" in my dictionary is around 50-60F. At 0F I'm pretty sure electrons start slowing down, or at least my blood does...
Was 10F here this morning. My excuse for not riding was all the snow, ice, slush and salt on the roads. Yesterday in the middle of the snow coming down and snow-covered roads, I saw a guy on a Ruckus. Had both feet set like outriggers, lol.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Was out on 4 wheels to-day. Temperature 0 degree C to -2 degree C. (so quite warm ;)).
ABS cutting in at almost every tentative application of the brakes.
Does our water freeze earlier than yours?

(And, yes, car was white over with salt when I got home. :().

Saving grace is that at -17C you probably don't even notice wind chill factor.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Hmmm, wind chill = how fast you're riding in cooler temps?

At 50-60F (about 10-15C) I just stopped wearing my summer gloves and start wearing my light weight cooler temp gloves. At below 41F (5C) I think about turning on the heated grips. With the AK 550 I don't bother with the heated gloves until below 23F (-5C) until I figure out an issue with the medium and high grip heat settings that I'm having. Otherwise it's just added layers. In fact I still am wearing my AlpineStars Air Plus V2 Gore-Tex XCR boots with thick socks over thin socks and my feet were still warm this morning.

It's all about what you're accustomed to.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I've found one of the keys to not freeze in cold weather is preventing air infiltration at the openings ...neck, wrists, waist and ankles. You can have the best, most insulated gear in the world but if you've go 20 degree air blowing up your sleeves it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Rusty J and rjs987

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
@Bluestrom13 , got a pic of her wearing that in sub freezing temps? o_O

Yep.
Due to a lot of factors we can get a lot of snow here. But then we also have good street services that clear it off within a day or two. Even if the street is not 100% clear, which is most of the time after snow storm, a few more days later there is only bare pavement. Part of that is because the temps rise above freezing to melt what's left and the sun comes out to dry it off. Sometimes the sun and temp are still not enough and the temp drops to somewhere closer to zeroF (-17C) like this morning. We usually get a few days of maybe 10 degree higher but even then sublimation gets rid of the rest of the slick stuff that remains. And then it happens all over again. A good winter season is when this cycle takes at least one to two weeks to repeat. And more often than not only 3 days pass and the roads are clear and dry. At least the main traveled roads are. I consider it a bad winter season when the cycle between snow falls is only a day or two... or three. Then the roads never seem to really clear enough and I don't ride for a long time.

I do have the gear to keep me warm in these temps. I know about closing any gaps in my gear so cold air doesn't get through. Once in a big while I'm reminded of this when I don't fully seal the gap between my helmet and Turtle Fur neck gator. That tiny little gap is like an ice knife slicing into my neck so I'm usually very aware of getting that right. Usually when I'm all geared up for riding in these temps I start to over heat a little while getting the bike ready to ride away even though I'm standing just outside the garage. I also am very aware of the road conditions on the roads I usually keep to during the cold season. I have about a half dozen web sites including several National and local weather web sites, regional agriculture web sites for ground temps, State and county web sites for road conditions including cameras and road sensors to show me pavement and bridge deck temps, etc. I look at all of them before I ride in the cold. I grew up in Iowa and spent my military time in Maine so have been accustomed to driving/riding in all kinds of winter conditions. I know that if it looks wet and the temp is as cold as it was this morning that's not water, it's ice. Many riders have mentioned about seeing black ice. I learned in Maine that you really cannot "see" black ice. Especially if the pavement is asphalt which is black and thus where the name comes from. Black ice is when lots of traffic runs over ice and wet so much that it is flash melted and compressed into the texture of the road and refreezes hiding in the cracks and pits of the road surface with such a thin layer on top that you cannot see it. But you can definitely feel it when your car (bike) spins out of control. That flash-melt-refreeze makes it like riding on snot. I am aware of it and when I ride in these temps I'm always testing the surface for traction at every stop to check for it. Even though you cannot see it there are some tell tale signs that it is there, if you know what to look for.

I have camped and ridden with a ST1300 rider who lives in South Dakota and went riding at -24F (-31C) at least once. The year before he did that I went for a ride at -15F (-26C). But getting older does take a toll so I don't know if I'll be riding in temps that cold again. A few below what the temp was this morning may be my limit these days.

I still actually enjoy the challenge of riding in these temps. If it became un-enjoyable I'd stop in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Just a little ride to grab a few tags and also some groceries. Temps stayed around 29F to 30F for the entire 21.7 miles. Thought this was a good place to stop along the way considering the season. 😁
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Sky Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
9,860 Posts
Just a little ride to grab a few tags and also some groceries. Temps stayed around 29F to 30F for the entire 21.7 miles. Thought this was a good place to stop along the way considering the season. 😁
I put some pop in the dreary pic for you, because your rare blue-AK deserves it (IMO):

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
@wspollack , seems like you need to buy yourself one of these!

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Still clear roads today. The sun was out. Temps were right at 23F. So I went for a ride. Rode down to the Maffitt Lake reservoir and on a few country roads being certain that they were clear and dry as I went. Rode 39.7 miles this time.

The lake was actually frozen over, but really thin ice over most of it. Just off the far shore to the left of my bike you can just make out 2 people walking on the ice to where they had ice fishing set up. They were dragging something, maybe a sled with supplies.
Sky Water Natural landscape Tree Horizon

Water Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
Getting out while I can.
Just an easy ride on country roads and a little bit in town as well. Rode 44.4 miles today. Temp started out at 44F and was up to 47F when I returned home. Lots of melting run-off happening in some places. Not so much on the county highways but in town there was. Found a few city side streets where the plows forgot to go at the last snowfall but even those streets were mostly cleared, but obvious nothing was sprayed or sprinkled to melt anything there. Lots of water on those streets. Did have to weave around some of the remaining ice/snow packs. I normally would have avoided those streets but was on a mission to find some places there.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Expecting 6" of the white stuff on Friday and lots of ice from the refreeze on Thursday so went out again today while the roads were still clear.
Temps ranged up to 52F today... a heat wave! Rode a few miles for errands first. All together I rode 66 miles today. Picked a road I had not been on since last summer so grabbed a few pics along the way. Usually I prefer to just keep riding and don't want to stop for pictures. Usually the really good road pictures are just when I get to a section where if I were to stop it would ruin the enjoyment of the run through that section. I could run through and turn around and go back for a picture but I prefer to just keep on going. Anyway, here are a few from today. One shows the slight hills and sweeping curves that are common on that section of road. Another is a photo at the tree farm where we have bought Christmas trees from in the past. And of course where I had my errand at the very end of the ride. 60 miles to get to the store 3 miles from home!
Sky Cloud Tire Wheel Land vehicle
Sky Tire Cloud Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
Octane seems to be a confusion for some with the AK 550. The service manual says 95 octane. We all know that is not found in any gas pumps in the USA so that can't be really what it is for here. But octane is measured differently in different countries. 95 octane in Europe and Taiwan and other places is known as RON (research octane number). MON (motor octane number) is what is used in still other countries and is a significantly lower number than RON. In the USA it is clearly displayed on many gas pumps that we use PON (pump octane number) and that is a calculation of (RON + MON)/2.

Anyway, there are charts all over the internet that show the translation for same octane using these different number systems. 95 RON = about 91 PON. So in the service manual I see RON given. In the owner manual I see that it shows to use 91 which I would assume is PON. BUT it seems there were yet more differences to be considered between the AK 550 scooters shipped to other countries or maybe it is just earlier model years. I don't know. There is a sticker that I believe is specifically for the USA models that is located in the under seat storage box. There is a lot of engine information on that sticker including what gas to use. That sticker says specifically to use "87 PON (R+M/2)" just like that. Since it gives the right formula that is used in the USA I go with that number.

Yeah, I know... long answer. 😳

So just like what I put in my Burgman I put 87 octane in my AK 550. (short answer) 😁

I filled up today after my ride. Only needed about 2.1 gallons. I knew there was more than 1/3 of a tank left but with the big storm coming Friday I like to have full tanks. Not that I would be riding in the now 7-9 inches of snow that is expected but still. I also filled the tanks in all the cars as well. I calculated that this tank, or partial tank, worked out to about 52.4 mpg. Better than expected but I do expect that mpg will continue to improve for the next few thousand miles added on the bike. Temps for 2 of the rides taken on this tank were in the low 20sF and today's ride was just over 50F. Every bike I've owned since new, well that would be only 3 now, has improved mpg significantly over the first 6000-8000 miles so we'll see what I end up getting toward next fall. The previous tank I calculated to be just over 47 mpg. So maybe the 60+ miles today made up for the lower mpg from earlier colder rides. So far very happy with these results.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 ·
In the beginning God made man (skipping a lot of prelude leading up to that). Male and female made he them. Unified theory. Grand and otherwise. Pairs of forces. Laws of attraction. So on and so forth.
Need I really say more?

• Haha
Reactions: DarisPakar
221 - 240 of 245 Posts