Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
201 - 220 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
Took off for a little 32 mile ride today after finishing up with getting lights put on 2 Christmas trees and some other holiday stuff.
This ride I was able to verify that the speedo on my AK is right at 5% offset from actual. I rode a stretch of highway that was 65 mph but I held it at 63 mph indicated on my speedo and timed a measured mile between a few mile markers using the analog clock that I displayed on the center phone connected panel of the dash. That showed it took exactly one minute to ride from one mile marker to the next. So 63 mph indicated is 60 mph actual. This is more accurate than other bikes I've had. Only my CTX1300 was dead on accurate with the speedo but all other bikes I've owned were between 9% and 11% offset. It's just good info to know.

Temps were a steady 47 F all the way around. I bought another Aquarium temp sensor since the one I have used in the past on my bikes was reassigned to show outside temps at home by running the little wire through the frame of a window where it opens. Since the AK 550 does not have a temp sensor for ambient air I like to have some indication what the temp is getting to when it's cold during a ride. And it also helps to verify the temp for the coldest ride game on the ST-Owners forum. Bike thermometers don't read below +14 F anyway and I ride much colder than that. This Aquarium/Terrarium thermometer reads from -58 F to +158 F so I'm not likely to see anything that cold for any of my rides.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
Take 'em while I can get 'em.
Sunny and around 50+ F today so went for a 55 mile ride out on country roads.
I am now seeing a pattern where I put my feet on the AK 550 vs the Burgman 650. On the Burgman I felt most comfortable with my feet half on the slanted board and half on the level board. I never felt really comfortable with my feet only on the level foot board. My knees seemed to be sticking up too high and my leg/hip angle was too much for very long. It was a good alternate position but not for the long term. Just like the slanted foot board. That was enough of a reach on the Burgman I preferred that for a short term alternative.

But on the AK I'm feeling most comfortable with my feet fully on the level foot boards. In fact I'm finding my feet now just automatically go right to that position with my toes nestled in the notch at the front of the level boards. Moving my feet back or up on the slanted boards is a good alternate location when I feel the need to move around. In fact the slanted foot board is more comfortable than it was on my Burgman. Not as far away.

And have I said how much I like the sound coming out of the stock exhaust on this AK 550. Whether stopped and waiting for the light to turn green or accelerating or keeping a constant speed on the city streets or out on the county highways. I am tempted so often now to skip wearing my ear plugs just to hear the growl of this engine.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Planned on a short little 20 mile ride this afternoon but ended up almost double that. 38.4 miles around the area. Was a crisp 41 F all the way around. Added in a mix of a little bit of city streets, some Interstate highway and mostly country highways/roads.
Nope. Didn't stop for any pics. Nothing particularly interesting to photograph other than my AK 550 and I was too busy riding to stop. Maybe next time.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Well, it was a cool ride anyway.
Went on a little ride tonight. Needed to add air to tires before I left due to much colder temps, even in the garage. Looked at the weather app to decide which way I wanted to ride, either north or west. North won out, but not by much. The north route is about the same as the route I rode many times last year December through January and into February. There is one particular place along that route where you can just feel the temp drop significantly. Just after that I checked the thermometer I carried with me and it was 12 F. Was very close to that most of the way along this ride anyway, especially on the way home since I did end up traveling west before I headed back down south to home. I left home around 9 pm and returned home by 10 pm. Stopped a few places along the way to check the temp sensor I carried and also to take a few pictures. Only rode 22+ miles on this ride.

This church is just a few blocks from my house.
Tire Wheel Street light Plant Tree

And this place was about where I turned around for the return trip home.
Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wheel Window

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Was a slightly warmer day today than my last ride. Had the time so took off to a location I have not been to for more than 25 years. The roads have been rerouted to make way for a bypass highway around the south and east side of the metro area and the roads I last took to get there no longer exists but since it is an upscale housing development that has been around for over 35 years they built new roads to get there. Temps were steady around 34-35 F all the way around. I did connect my heated gloves but didn't need them turned on since the heated grips were plenty even on the lowest setting. This ride was 37+ miles all the way around. And just because there are some who insist that only a photo will prove I went there here are a few. This is the Dale Maffitt Reservoir just SW of West Des Moines. The other pic is the view from the dam looking north toward West Des Moines. The entire reservoir and dam are rather a high point in the area. In that second photo you can see my Head Demon heated gloves controller hanging on the parking brake lever. I have the cable for it routed through the cable opening in the handlebar cover and down to the right glove box where it plugs into the SAE connector there.
Like I said, I didn't need to turn on the heated gloves this trip.

Water Sky Tree Natural landscape Coastal and oceanic landforms

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Ecoregion

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Last chance, almost, to get out and find my wife her Christmas gift. Well, one of them anyway. So went for a ride. 21 miles in a loop. Saw a few things along the way. Temps were right at 32F. BIG change from yesterday when it was a high of 74F! But the wind was a lot less... only 19 mph/30 mph gusts rather than 65 mph/80 mph gusts we saw most of the afternoon and last night.

Saw some yard decorations for the season but due to that severe weather we had things were a bit deflated.
Sky Tire Daytime Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
The ride today was to test Noodoe navigation as well ended up testing range when the "E" starts flashing on the fuel gage. I WAS going to fill up the tank first thing on my way out but the lines at the Costco gas station were 6+ cars deep at every pump so I decided to truck on and see how far I could go. I knew mpg would be lower than normal since the temp on this ride hovered right around 37F the entire way. I wore my Gerbing heated gloves but didn't plug in the heat controller since these are the thickest most insulated gloves I have and the heated grips with these gloves seems to be doing fine just over or under freezing temps without turning on the glove heat. These gloves hold in and distribute the heat from the heated grips better than my other winter gloves.

My trip meter A showed over 90 miles when I started. That's the trip meter I use to track how many miles since last fill up. I plotted a rectangular loop that was 60.2 miles all around. The last white bar dropped off and the red bar on the fuel gage started flashing at 115 miles. Since someone else already sacrificed the stress of going farther than anyone admitted to going on a tank I kept on riding. The red bar dropped off right about 146 miles and the red "E" started flashing. I figured I COULD get back to the Costco gas station which was another 8+ miles but decided to see where I was on gas and filled up at 147.2 miles. I put in 3.155 gallons calculating about 46.6 mpg, using the trip meter miles as I usually do for consistency. Actually a little better than what I was expecting considering the temps right now and also that 30 miles of that tank was used on rides when temps were below 15F!

Since this was a test also of Noodoe navigation I plotted 2 separate routes, one to follow the other, with more waypoints than I would normally set. The first route took me to the gas station that I decided to bypass and then to another place easy to pull off the road to pick the next route. Since I bypassed the gas station and that was the first waypoint set I pulled over right away to eliminate that point since Noodoe kept wanting me to route back to it since I didn't "hit" it. Actually, after removing the gas station waypoint I also had to remove the starting point at home since the way I edited the route I needed to start it over again. I found out a different way to edit the route and it would continue from where I was without restarting. Overall, Noodoe navigation worked great this time other than the need to "hit" every waypoint exactly and having to stop to change a missed waypoint on the phone to prevent being constantly turned back to it. As far as more than one "Journey" to resolve the 8 waypoint limitation I think that will work just the same as I was already doing with Google Maps navigation. Just some tricky differences to get used to. I think the settings I changed (turning off Avoid Highways and setting to Fastest Route) did the trick for me for now. I even forced a recalculate on a detour to get the attached photo during the second Journey route and Noodoe handled it well this time. It's really not a bad thing to stop every hour to pick a different route to continue navigating. That's about right for a drink of water normally anyway. Although I have been known to ride for 2-3 hours straight without stopping for anything on my travels.
Sky Building Property Window Plant

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
Oh, and a milestone was reached on today's ride. The odometer ticked past 1000 miles on my AK 550 just a few miles from the end of the ride. The odometer now shows 1003 miles.
And the heated grips have lately been working flawlessly.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
Jumped on the AK for a trip to the store down the street. Made it a short 9.4 miles. Like I said... short. Once again temps were right around 37F. Used the heated grips going to the store but decided that wasn't needed on the return trip. Was plenty warm without added heat. The nice pretty lady in the white SUV saw me taking the pic so she photo bombed and sat there until I was done.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Cloud Sky

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Administrator
22,422 Posts
Just a quick down and dirty erase.

I would have FAKE taken a picture of HER and got closer to her car and keep taking them as you get close to her hood.
She would pull off real quick I bet.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
Aw, come on @Dave_J . I liked having that driver in the shot. ;)
Besides you eliminated the other main entrance.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
That was a Cougar in the Range Rover …. you lucky to have not gotten Cat Scratch Fever or an evil variant.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Nah, she weren't no Cougar. I am definitely older than she is. Possibly old enough to be her dad's younger brother!

Thinking about it I might have been in her way in the road. She wanted to drive down the lane where I was standing.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Administrator
22,422 Posts
" If you don't like my driving, stay OFF the sidewalks."

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
Had to do a little shopping again today. Things my wife wanted to be picked up at the grocery store. Temps were 37F at the start and ended up at 38F. Heated grips all the way around this time. THOUGHT I'd grab and set the Scooter Tag while I was out but SOMEONE beat me to it.

Anyway, Pointed the AK 550 to the grocery store 2 miles away and...
Passed another branch of the same store somewhere about 17 miles along the path I ended up on.
Then I passed yet another branch of the same store at about 20 miles along the ride.
Then I finally passed my home again and continued on to the store I intended to visit in the first place. When I parked the AK in my garage it was 31 miles later.
Just can't seem to get that AK to ride in a direct path to the destination!

Somewhere along this ride...
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Street light

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Been very nice being able to ride in this weather considering it is December and only a few days before Christmas!
Took off to explore a few local country roads I haven't been on yet. Some were newly paved. I try to avoid gravel roads so when the city or county finally gets around to paving some of those I then have a new road to explore. :)

Rode 48 miles today. Set the maximum number of waypoints in the Noodoe route even though it wasn't very far to ride. That was to force the routing to stay on the roads I wanted to investigate. Temps were steady around 48F. Stopped by the Iowa Veterans Cemetery entrance for a photo op and found a "friendship rock" laying on one of the boulders. The idea is to take that rock and then leave it somewhere else for someone to find. I decided considering the location and message on the rock I'd leave it there for someone else and just take a picture of it. My Grandkids have painted friendship rocks and left them around places like walking trails, the park, the lake at the shopping mall, etc.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

This friendship rock was laying on the boulder on the right of the picture above.
Wood Tar Road surface Asphalt Beige

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
It's supposed to be a record 70F here on Christmas day (and very small rain chance) so I'm planning a rare Christmas day ride, maybe even a bike & hike. More rare that I'll even be home...in pre-covid times I'd be on my way to visit family in MS.
Ride on!

Reactions: rjs987

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unbelievably, it was 47F in the Laurel Highlands (in central Pennsylvania). They call this the "Snow Belt", and its already snowed a few times this season. They've put the gravel out at least once. But today was a good day for a ride. It was less than an hour, but I did ride. Over a 2 lane road which twisted back and forth. And it was beautiful. Got to try out my new helmet too. It must be nice to hit 70F in late December. But I'll take a 47F here, if it gets me in the saddle. We won't see much of the 40's again before spring.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Still a good day for a ride this Christmas Eve Day. Was 55F all the way around the 34.5 miles. Stopped to fill the tank near the end of this ride. 2.632 gal for 125.1 miles. The red block on the fuel gauge just started to flash when I pulled into the station. Just a little jaunt on some country roads... again. That's where I prefer to ride since I'm close enough to get to those without going through a lot of city traffic. Those are north west or south west. Going anything east takes me into city traffic. My destination today was Culver's for some gift cards to be given tomorrow... normally a 1.5 mile round trip from my home. Still can't get this AK to take the shortest route! 😁

·
Administrator
22,422 Posts
Yesterday rode the Burg for only 2 miles due to cold (42F) and wet weather.

Standing in the roadway Today:
Snow Plant Tree House Freezing

Reactions: wspollack
201 - 220 of 245 Posts