Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was a very nice mostly sunny day today. Very comfortable at around 80 deg F give or take a degree or two. So I took off on a little 86 mile long ride in a different direction than the last one. I know the roads enough around the area to know where I can ride where there is nice scenery and a few low hills and curves along the way. Took off initially NW of my home and went on a big loop. Passed the High Trestle Trail Bridge (bicycle/walking trail). No, I didn't ride on it but it's just off to the south of the county highway I was on and is a very high bridge indeed. Someday I'll ride a bike across it. It's on the leg of the route I took between Woodward and Madrid where the river passes under.
Also crossed the mile long bridge over Saylorville Lake just South of Polk City. Sometimes it can get really windy on that bridge. Kind of like a wind tunnel blowing across it. Was a little windy but not bad today.
Mostly a mix of open fields and some woods to ride through.

Oh, I WAS going to try another video of some of the curvy bits but darned if the very first bug to hit the shield wasn't right in front of the camera lens. So much for that attempt. Didn't want to stop to clean it off so just kept going without any photo or video. When I am riding I like to just keep going. I do look at the scenery but really don't stop much to look at stuff unless there is a really notable overlook of something special.

Here is a map of the route I took.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fJ1ximjPZxz9MSuw9

Was initially concerned before I even started because the moment I turned on the ignition the LED display showed CHEC and the bike wouldn't start. Not even turn over. No click, no anything but all the lights and displays turned on as normal, other than that warning message. I hadn't seen that warning before on this scoot nor had it not start. Then after checking a few things noted that the kill switch was moved to the kill position. Flipped it back to on and all was well with the world again. Learned something.

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
We all have a 'Homer Simpson' Moment. ;)

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
It looks like a good route to ride. I have always liked riding in Iowa. Nice roads and little to no traffic. I found out the same way about the kill switch. Right after I bought mine I had stopped for lunch somewhere in the middle of nowhere and hung my helmet on the handlebars... never forgot after that.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yet another short ride, yesterday actually. Needed to take some hazardous waste (old brake fluid from when I replaced it on my CTX) to the drop off site on the other side of the metro area. Stopped by the dealer to try on a few new jackets for size. They didn't have the TM Intake Air 5 but did have the TM Intake Air 4 in stock so tried those on since sizing really didn't change. Good price on the series 4 they did have but no stock in the color I wanted (gun metal and black). Found out the dealer is having a Ural demo day with demo rides and food on Saturday. They are a dealer for Suzuki, Kawasaki, Triumph, Urals and a few others and carry the most inventory of gear of any other dealership in the area (other than possibly the HD lifestyle dealer just down the street). Took the long way to get to places as usual and ended up with only 57 miles added. Rain was getting close on the weather radar or the ride may have been a little longer.

Today I turned a 1.4 mile one way trip into 8+ miles to go pick up some photos I had developed at Costco. 9.7 miles round trip.

Instead of getting my rides in on the commute ride home I'm "offering" to go on little errands like these and extending the trip to get a few extra miles to turn it into a little bit of a road trip. Exploring a few new roads along the way though there aren't many roads I haven't been on in my area.

Those extra "commuting" miles are the ONLY thing I miss about working. And I do mean the ONLY thing.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
rjs987,
I checked out Google street level view at 25 or so points on the roads you plotted out. Very nice ride. I'll bet there probably was very little traffic too (except in the larger towns like WDM). Very relaxing & cathartic.
Have fun on your next ride and do get us some photos or video.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The city streets on my route posted in the OP actually have very little traffic, not no traffic but very light. Particularly at the time I rode them. I know what roads through town have little traffic and at what times are the best to ride them. Sometime on a ride I'll try to bring myself to pull over and stop for a photo op. I'm usually too into having fun just riding to do that.

Most people think Iowa is very boring to ride through. And it is if you just ride through on the Interstates. There are some real interesting roads to ride when you get off of those and stick to the county roads. My favorite roads are along the western side of the state (Loess hills area, look it up) and the NE quarter of the state around the driftless area (which covers a lot of area from south of Galena, Il to Madison, WI to Menomonie, WI to south of Minneapolis, MN to Mason City, IA to Cedar Rapids, IA to Galena).

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
Point to remember, pick up the Ice Cream on the return part of the ride.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The city streets on my route posted in the OP actually have very little traffic, not no traffic but very light. Particularly at the time I rode them. I know what roads through town have little traffic and at what times are the best to ride them. Sometime on a ride I'll try to bring myself to pull over and stop for a photo op. I'm usually too into having fun just riding to do that.

Most people think Iowa is very boring to ride through. And it is if you just ride through on the Interstates. There are some real interesting roads to ride when you get off of those and stick to the county roads. My favorite roads are along the western side of the state (Loess hills area, look it up) and the NE quarter of the state around the driftless area (which covers a lot of area from south of Galena, Il to Madison, WI to Menomonie, WI to south of Minneapolis, MN to Mason City, IA to Cedar Rapids, IA to Galena).

Funny you mention the Driftless area. I've often told folks from Iowa & Wisconsin that I'd like to see & ride through it, and guess what? Only a tiny minority know that name. Most are like "What's the Driftless area?". Odd that I'd know about an area in their own state that I'd never been to but one that they never heard of.

From some of the street views I could see how some might say it's a boring ride. There is very little elevation changes and nondescript fields of crops that look similar. That being said, as someone who spent a couple of years riding through some states of the Midwest, I think that's part of the charm. It's not a type of riding area that I'd personally like to be bound to for the rest of my life, but it definitely has its own beauty, serenity (you can actually hear your own thoughts), and is easy to ride with very little traffic (a little more forgiving if you space out) which is very enjoyable and has free open vistas where you don't feel confined by too many trees.
Just chalk it up to yet another great, interesting riding region to experience. I feel like most motorbike riders in the USA should get to experience riding through the great SW American desert, the Plains states, Arkansas, the Northern states like WI, CO & PA, also VA, Texas, Florida, Hawaii, and of course California. To the that is a very well-rounded coverage of riding in US motorcycle riding meccas. But without the Midwest & Plains states, the list would not be complete.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, more errands run. Today took off on a ride around Saylorville lake taking the LONG way to get there ending up with 52+ miles. Just because. OK, I did stop at the grocery store on the way back to pick up stuff.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
For some reason, when I run errands on the bikes it ends up taking three times as long...can't figure it out!

I've had similar moments as you with the kill switch, since I never actually intentionally use it to stop the engine. Once while riding I reached over to adjust the RH mirror with my left hand and, unbeknownst to me at the time, bumped the kill switch. Was PO'd for a while that my new V-strom would just quit like that going down the road.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@G-Dub, at least we know that switch works as intended.

Every BIG once in a while I shut off the engine using the side stand... or try to start the bike with the side stand down. Just to be sure that works also :grin

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Regular Suzuki motorcycles will start and run with the stand down as long as it's in neutral. Occasionally I will verify that it dies when shifting into first with stand down, usually when there are people nearby I'm trying to impress.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True with any brand manual transmission bike.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
@G-Dub, at least we know that switch works as intended.

Every BIG once in a while I shut off the engine using the side stand... or try to start the bike with the side stand down. Just to be sure that works also :grin
On my scooters, that's how I always shut them off. Of course this doesn't work on the Vespa (no sidestand) or the Husky (unless it's in gear).

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today I rode the scoot to lunch at Burger King just down the street. Then decided to keep on going on the return trip turning a 2 mile round trip into 99 miles. Found a new road I haven't been on so went that way. Stopped at the gas station one the way back to fill up. I could have gone another 70+ miles on this tank per the gas meter and the miles counter that I use to show how far I've gone on a tank. The display showed I went 158.7 miles on the tank when I stopped. The display showed the usual erratic mpg result at 54 mpg but I calculated 61.7 mpg. Last time I calculated 61 mpg the display said 58 mpg so just to show how perfectly erratic indicated vs calculated mpg can be. Speeds were mostly 55 mph (about 90%) and a little at 65 mph with the rest at small town slow mph (25 mph). All on county highways. Rode past the John Wayne Birthplace Museum and ventured south out of Winterset. Then back east and rode past one of the many covered bridges of Madison County. There was a crowd at both places so didn't stop for any photos.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was a very nice day today and been busy with grandkids and other Christmas preparations these last many days so decided a ride was in order. Took a short 45 mile ride around the local rural roads. Very little traffic. Temp started out at 51*F and mostly stayed there all the way around. Looked at the digital thermometer at home and noted it agreed with the bank temp sign down the street at 46*F when I returned even though the bike temp indicator was still showing over 50. Temps are always a bit warmer on the road than off. Felt warm and comfy with just one thermal liner installed in the jacket. No electric heat yet, not even close (that doesn't get turned on until it reaches freezing temps). Still finding the AlpineStars Air Plus v2 Gore-Tex XCR boots to be plenty warm at this and even colder temps. Have worn these down to below 25*F without being cold... but then my Burgman 650 has phenomenal foot and lower leg weather protection so I see no need for warmer boots.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Loving the relatively warm weather...low 50s here too, got in rides on the liter bikes as well as the 400 today.

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
A little cool when I came to my office today. 38-40F but still so it was a nice ride with all my gear on and zipped up. Someday I have to try some heated gear for the really cold weather. Supposed to be high 60s later. There are some distinct advantages of living down here.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
A little cool when I came to my office today. 38-40F but still so it was a nice ride with all my gear on and zipped up. Someday I have to try some heated gear for the really cold weather. Supposed to be high 60s later. There are some distinct advantages of living down here.
Are you wearing your new duds ? Could we get a review ?

·
Super Moderator
804 Posts
Good reminder Daris. An honest review from other users is a valuable tool that members of an active forum have available.
So far I haven't gotten the new coat and pants. I did get a new helmet. HJC IS-Max II. It has been so busy here lately that I have not pursued the other things but when I get back from Illinois after the break, I will make an order for the other stuff. I do know what I will get but just need to pony up the CC and smash that order button.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts