Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just saw a 2007 Burgman 400 and the place wants a little less than $4000 for which would include tax and tags. I don't know if I could to better and wait and see and plus I don't know anyone around here to ask questions. Is there anything I should be concern with oh and the scooter is here in NJ.

Alicia

·
Registered
511 Posts
Alicia,

Well, to give you an example, I bought my '09 400 back in the spring for $3600.00, so I'm not so sure you're getting the best deal on that. What's the mileage situation with it? Mine had a mere 3600 miles on the clock when I bought it and it was like new.

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Alicia
Price to me sounds quite a bit too high. Should be able to find one in the range of $2500 to $3000 + tax & license. How many miles on it? What do the tires look like.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yes, that scooter is way to high. You didn't mention the mileage, but for $4k is better have only a few thousand miles. Sounds like its from a dealer, correct?

Check Craigslist. I would get a newer one also. You should be able to get a low-mileage, '09 or newer for under 3k. These things depreciate fast.

The Burgman tends to attract older, more-responsible riders. My experience is they tend to take care of the machine and not ride them too hard. So the private-party used market is a very good option. It's not an absolute rule mind you, by any stretch. Just a tendency. You'll still need to give the bike a good once over.

Good Luck. It's a great bike.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all it has close to 13000 miles on it, it seems here in NJ that's the going price around here. I will keep looking though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
2007 for $3000

Hello,

About 3 months ago I purchased a 2007 Burgman 400 for about $3000 including taxes. It only had a few hundred miles on it. It now has about 1800 miles and is a great ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It seems I might need to travel out of state to get a decent price but I would need to rent a uhaul to get it back to NJ and pay for tax and tags here.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You also have the option of waiting until spring, getting a ride (train, plane, friend, etc) and then riding the bike home. I've done this with several bikes and it works really well. Get someone to go look at it for you and give you an opinion before you make the trip - you've got friends all over the country here in the forum and I promise you someone local would be happy to give it the once-over and report back to you with an unbiased opinion. It lets the seller know you're serious. You can get some excellent deals that way and the ride home is a great way to get to know the new machine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason I thought about buying now is I thought I could something cheaper instead of waiting for the riding season to kick in.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The reason I thought about buying now is I thought I could something cheaper instead of waiting for the riding season to kick in.
That's smart thinking, winter is a good time to buy the RIGHT bike. A dealer, however, will not be phased by the seasons; he knows spring is right around the corner and is less apt to be swayed. A private party, however, may be more motivated to sell once he's decided to do so.

So take this time to check the local classifieds at least once, if not twice a week. Track the bikes for sale, you will get a feel for the going prices and when the RIGHT one comes along, be prepared with cash to buy.

FYI, on the 400 the transmission belt will need to be changed at a recommended 15k miles, (but usually will last 20k). The tires usually last around 10k miles. They are not a big deal to replace, but you can use this as a bargaining chip in your negotiations, I'd take off $500 from the asking price if the belt is close to replacement time and $200 per tire if they are worn. You can pro rata some off those rates if the bike isn't quite to replacement time (ie $250 if the belt has 7k on it).

Also, dings and scratches are BIG items to deduct off the price as fixing usually means replacing the whole plastic piece, which are a minimum of $200 and go up several hundred depending on the size and complexity of the piece.

·
Registered
748 Posts
How about, if you like the bike, buy it? Not everything has to be the greatest of deals. I paid top dollar for a truck, but it's mint and trouble free for almost 2 years now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts