Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife does not want me to get one. Says they (all motorcycles) are too dangerous. What can I do? I just got the bug to get one. My brother has a regular motorcycle and a guy I work with just bought one. But I perfer the Burgman. Looks like a regular bike and is an automatic. What are insurance rates like on a bike like this? What is the top speed of the 400 vs 650? I am 6 foot tall 285 lbs. Is the 400 gonna be okay for me? Is there like a load limit or whatever? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can offer.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Chief. Welcome to the forum. Not sure if this will help, but let me tell you a little story. Several years ago I got the 'bug' too. I went and took the Motorcycle Safety Course. At the same time I met the woman who would become my wife (and then later my ex. :? ). She thought it was sexy that I could ride, but the minute that ring went on my finger that all went out the window. She didn't want me to get hurt and so on.

After a few years, I get the 'bug' really bad and started looking at bikes again. At the time I found the Honda Helix. Small, stylish and a scooter. I brought my ex in to look at it. I showed her how it was an automatic and that it would be easier and safer to ride then a big motorcycle (hey it worked.) I told her how much money we would save on gas, and that the insurance would only be about $100 a year. I took it for a test ride. She saw how much I loved it, and we started the paperwork that day.

So key points. Automatic - easier to ride the manual. Cheap on gas. Can easily handle two on the bike. Plenty of storage space. Fairly cheap to insure. Will give you years of enjoyment!

Now, as to the 400 vs the 600. I have the 400 myself. My second bike. I love it! I am 5' 10" 210lbs with a 31" inseem. Though the 650 would probably suit my size better, I went for the 400 for the price, the insurance rate and the fact that for now, it meets all my needs. It is light weight and it can move really well. It has plenty of get-up-and-go. I have ridden it many time with my girlfriend on it and we can cruise easily at 70 mph, and I have gotten it up to 80 mph with her holding on tightly. :lol: I do highly recommand removing the backrest. It will give you a little more room.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions let me know. GOOD LUCK!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Chief_O.
I dito everthing zendan said (at least about the bike :) )
I would also bring your wife in to look at it, and mite also point out the "400" is a scooter not a bike (not true, but we can keep that ourselves )
And of course if all else fails you do have the option of a divorce :cry:
As far as will it fit you, I would think so, there are some bigger guys here with 400's, I do the speed limit (70) and still have some left over to pass when needed and I out weight you. The 600 is a great machine also but for me just more then I need.

·
Registered
308 Posts
1) Go to Suzuki Dealership with wife

2) Tell her "honey, I just wanna look, I promise I won't buy anything"

3) You are 285 lbs, so look at the 650

4) Make Salesman talk to wife, he will know what to say. (better yet, call him before going there tell him the plan).

5) Do not buy bike yet, as you promised not to buy.

6) Go back two weeks later, make salesman talk to wife again. If wife liked the first salesman, use same salesman, if not, go to other dealership (call before going so salesman is ready).

7) Repeat process until wife says ok.

8) Buy Burgman.

:D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Chief,

Motorcycles and Burgmans ARE dangerous. Take the MSF class as soon as possible. Talk the wife into going also if you can, it will give your wife a better idea about the risks. After the class you will be more informed about the whole motorcycle experience. Do the training first then the purchase of a new scooter.
Let me tell you as a lifelong motorcyclist the Burgmans are fantastic machines and capable of extraordinary performance. I can keep pace with anyone on my AN400. (Well, maybe not Eddie Lawson but he just has a Vino, I think I can take him!)

Enjoy,
Russ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's an off the wall idea. Call up the dealership and see if they will take the wife in on trade for the Burgman. This will solve two problems at one time. :D :

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ditto that motorcycles are dangerous. They require that you be in a state of heightened awareness. They require intense concentration. Once you understand this and make the committment to be mentally THERE the minute you hit the starter, things fall in place. Riding a motorcycle is not an activity that allows mind-wandering.

As for the reluctant wife, if you can't get a reasonable price for her on the trade in, try e-bay.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Motorcycles are dangerous. So are cars! So are SUVs! Many people die every day in four wheeled vehicles.

What always seems peculiar to me, is that the same people who righteously proclaim that motorcycles are too dangerous, go speeding through intersections in their four wheelers while talking on their cell phones - with maybe 10% of their brain involved with driving. You see their crashes being cleaned up almost every day if you live in an urban area.

You absolutely do have to be 100% alert when you ride on two wheels. And the biggest hazard that you face are those folks in cars and trucks who are not being alert. Anticipate that they will do the stupidest thing, have an action plan if they do, and from time to time you'll be right, and it will help keep you safe.

·
Registered
220 Posts
pauljo is right.

Once you develop the requisite skills, you're not the dangerous one, it's all those idiots pauljo described so well. They're the dangerous ones. A recent stupid wreck occurred in my town when a fifteen year old girl, unlicensed, with a car full of younger kids, crossed the center line and hit an oncoming car, virtually head on. Why did she cross the center line? Because she, and her passengers, were all searching for a CD that had fallen on the car's floor. No one was looking at the road. Fortunately, while everyone was badly injured, no one was killed.

Cell phones are particularly bad. They distract the brain from its main task, which is to properly operate a motor vehicle.

Fiddling with stereo and CD players is bad. Changing stations, for example, distracts your eyes from the road. One thing I like about my car, a VW Passat, is that it has seek and volume controls on the steering wheel, so I can surf the stations and adjust volume without taking my eyes off the road. (Actually, I like the sound of the car's engine so much I rarely play the radio).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well these idiot drivers that you all are refering to I have seen first hand. I am a police officer (Sergeant) and have seen many accidents in my 7 years thus far. Well in fact just tonite (I am at work as we speak on break :wink: ) I worked a minor accident with two teenage drivers. One teenager was talking on cell phone and rear-ended the other teenager. Was pouring down rain. I have seen several fatality accidents over the years and not many at all were motorcycles if any. That does not mean they are not dangerous just not as common here as car accidents. But I agree 100% that mainly the cause of such accidents is simply not paying attention like one should. There are times in my line of duty where I have driven quite fast lights, sirens , etc. You should see people and how they are and how unattentive they can be. Go figure my wife does not want me to get a Burgman due to safety concerns but yet never says much about me being a police officer. :?: Wow i would really be up the creek if she saw my driving at times of emergencies. I will continue to work on her.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I read an article several years ago that stated that a driver talking on a cell phone while driving is often just as impaired as an intoxicated driver. From some things I have seen while on the road, I firmly believe that. Yet, the practice of gabbing on a phone while driving is socially acceptable, and very widespread. This is one of the greatest dangers on the road today, and it should be legally addressed. "Hands free" cell phones are not the solution either, because the driver's mental focus is still channeled toward the phone conversation, and away from driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Chief....I can tell you one thing for sure. Riding a bike will change how you drive your car. You will become a defensive driver. A close call in a
car and a close call on a bike are two different worlds.

Personally what I think would sell her is....if you have a friend with a motercycle or scooter, talk her in to going for a short S L O W ride. How can she judge without ever riding on one. I think she will
love it. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello,
First take the Motor Cycle Safety course. In PA it is free, well you pay for it each time you renew your license but its only a few dollars more then the auto renew.

This will teach you some basic accident avoidance techniques. Also, from what you have stated it sounds like you have never had a bike. The course will aloow you to get a taste of motorcycles without spending the money on a bike only to find out this isn't for you.

You will have to purchase a helmet (at least in PA) to take the course.

Also, if an when you decided to purchase a bike, it will give you a 5-20% discount on your insurence.

Your wife is corect m/c and scooters are dangerous. But, as someone else stated so are automobiles, trucks and the like.

Ed

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Have you given any though to " honey I have to get one, I am going under cover" :)
Seriously, work on slowly, let her get use to the idea, if she excepts your being a "cop" then getting a scoot should really not me such a big thing. Sure, like has been said there is a danger, but then that applies to being a police officer too.
Also take the MSF course so when she gives in you will be ready :wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
The Wife Sez No.......

Option 1) Take up skydiving and/or hang gliding. Compromise by suggesting a motorcycle.

Option 2) Run don't walk to a divorce attorney.

Option 3) Go out for a pack of cigarettes and enlist in the Army. Four to eight years makes a girl much more reasonable.

Comment: Use at your own risk. Don't ask about MY track record.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Chief, your wife is right in that there is a certain amount of risk in riding a motorcycle (or scooter) on public roads. But, just about everything in life worth doing involves some degree of risk. I guess that's what makes life fun and satisfying.
I would suggest that you tell your wife that you are aware of the risks involved and assure her that you will do everything possible to reduce those risks. And, as mentioned in the other posts, I would tell her that you WILL take the MSF Beginner's Riding Course. Invite her to take the course with you so that she can see first-hand what is involved in operating a bike and riding as a passenger and how, with some knowledge and practice, you can reduce the risks of riding.
As a former PA MSF Instructor and site coordinator at the Harley Plant in York, PA, I can assure you that taking the course will be the best investment of time (about 17 hours) you can make. Even if you have experience riding, believe me you will learn a lot (and your instructors will correct a lot of mistakes that self-taught "experienced" riders all make)and make your riding experience much more enjoyable. And, if your wife gets her license, you can buy her a Burgman too. :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I used to be a cop also: Detective sergeant on the California/Mexico border.

Tell her riding a Burgman's a piece of cake compared to being shot at with an AK-47.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: The Wife Sez No.......

Franklin said:
Option 1) Take up skydiving and/or hang gliding. Compromise by suggesting a motorcycle.

Option 2) Run don't walk to a divorce attorney.

Option 3) Go out for a pack of cigarettes and enlist in the Army. Four to eight years makes a girl much more reasonable.

Comment: Use at your own risk. Don't ask about MY track record.
:laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5: :laughing5:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
**UPDATE**
Hey guys while talking to my wife while at work last night I again mentioned getting a "motorcycle" (easier to say it that way to her and I have explained to her the differences so she knows what I am talking about when I say motorcycle) and she said you are for real you really want one? I said yeah. And she almost said we will look into it. Did not say no this time. This is a step towards the right direction. I will let ya know what happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts