Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm considering buying either a used Burgman 650. To keep my costs down, I'm trying to find an older model. Do the first-generation models have any teething problems/glitches that I should be aware of?

Jim

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Jim,

There's been a very few incidents (2 or 3) of transmission/clutch problems reported. These are isolated failures and not a common issue. The only common problem (still a small percentage of riders) I am aware of is the wheel bearings. See :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1973

The Burgman 650's have the dieseling noise but is considered to be part of the 'character' of the bike and not a problem at all. On most bikes you'd never hear it but the Burgman is so quiet overall that it makes the noise apparent.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply, Bill. I'm also considering a Silverwing -- its smaller proportions seem like it may fair better in Tokyo's heavy traffic. But I do like the Burgman's extra power, dual front rotors and fancy transmission. That said, I'm wondering how the Burgman's use of complex new technology -- especially the computerized gear-driven transmission -- is going to hold up over the years compared to the Silverwing's use of old but reliable technology.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bill. I've PMed Lycheed to see what he thinks of the Big Burger in Tokyo's traffic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
does weather condition apply to the bearing of the scooters, lets say not raining days, but winter or dry summer?

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
Kruzer,
I assume you mean wheel bearings. I have about 8,000 miles on my 03, about 1,000 of it in the rain. I have not had any wheel bearings fail. There was a batch that were bad, and it showed up sooner on the ones that were driven in the rain. I check the grease every time the wheel comes off, it's not that hard to do. If you plan on a fair amount of rain riding, regardless of what bike you own, keeping up on the lubicration is more critical. Rain riding is like power washing your bike, only for a longer period of time, and does wash away lubricants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts