Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted a topbox for my 400 but since it is a Limited model with a passenger backrest I found out that to remove the backrest and change the body panel was going to cost me $160 :shock: On top of that I would have to buy a carrier, topbox and plate etc. etc. so even with the Bestem box I was looking at an amount that I could instead spend on a luxurious 2 wk riding holiday! I had been looking at duffel bags, suitcases, milk crates, and while at Walmart I found this Plano storage box for $15. I hooked it up with two sets of $2.50 bungie cords and found that it would leave enough room for my future backrest or I might build a custom backpad that would mount on the front of the box. This box is completely waterproof, you can sit on it while camping, it removes in seconds and has padlock hasps to help keep honest people honest. Since I don't often trust a plastic hasp to protect my goods I have a Pacsafe mesh "bodybag" which I have been using for years to protect stuff while travelling. It wraps around the box and then you can lock it to the bike so that the box can't be stolen. The Pacsafe is something I highly recommend for any travelling that you do, if you don't need to use it all the time it packs down into a 4"x6"x1" package that you can easily stash anywhere on the bike. The rubber bungie cords I used come in 24" and 36" lengths and I can attach things to the top of the box using them or I might cut off the extra arrow ends off to make it look a little neater and then use regular bungie cords under the top lip if I have to mount more junk on top of the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Not trying to rain on your parade but keep this in mind . Any time you attach some thing like this to your bike ,you will wear the paint or upholstery fabric where it is attached off as it shifts around . It happens faster and more severely than you might imagine .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no paint contact involved except with the soft rubber straps which will not move and I have done things like this with my V-Strom for years with no problem. I also do not plan to use this very often because of the underseat storage, this is just for special shopping trips and some longer holidays. Even though I'm the one who put this on my bike I still think it doesn't look as good as a topbox although it won't affect the handling as much as a topbox hanging off the rear does.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have that on my V-Strom and a smaller one on my 150 but I can't use them on the Burgman because of the rear backrest. According to the dealer the panels are different between Canukistan and US models so I can't even buy a different panel on E-bay. I also don't want to hang a topbox way out behind the rear backrest so I think I've pretty well settled on my temporary box storage or something like it...for now :D

·
Registered
709 Posts
Looks good Kimbo... Whatever you do, don't feel that up with ice and lean into a curve! Lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
NOw that there is thinking out the box!
I'm going to try this setup. Thx for posting the pics.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If you happy with it and it work for you, GREAT !

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was ruminating over what Reaper said concerning wear and tear on the bike from this setup and realized that the hard box and the Pacsafe mesh combination could be deadly rather than using the box only which poses no problem. (if it's tight and not touching any painted parts) Without having tried it out yet to prove how it works (first extended trip is in May) I plan to put a cheap sacrificial rubber shelf liner from the $ store on the seat to protect it from possible damage from the Pacsafe. This is the same material that is used in motorhomes to keep dishes from sliding around while drifting corners. I have not had any problems with my V-Strom set-up but this new box is larger and I probably will be leaning against it as well so it's better to be safe than sorry, thanks Reaper!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
According to the dealer the panels are different between Canukistan and US models .
:D
Curious as am, me would seriously question that dealer statement if he said such to me, as American friend say "I'm from Missouri. Show me."

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I was ruminating over what Reaper said concerning wear and tear on the bike from this setup and realized that the hard box and the Pacsafe mesh combination could be deadly rather than using the box only which poses no problem. (if it's tight and not touching any painted parts) Without having tried it out yet to prove how it works (first extended trip is in May) I plan to put a cheap sacrificial rubber shelf liner from the $ store on the seat to protect it from possible damage from the Pacsafe. This is the same material that is used in motorhomes to keep dishes from sliding around while drifting corners. I have not had any problems with my V-Strom set-up but this new box is larger and I probably will be leaning against it as well so it's better to be safe than sorry, thanks Reaper!
You're welcome , just remember if it moves at all it will in short order either wear the paint off or even wear a hole in your seat . It can happen much faster than one might think , as in a few hours then the damage is done . As far as the rubber pad you have it will do the same , all you are doing is replacing one thing that can rub a hole with another .

TheReaper!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts