Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have taken more of a liking to my Burgman 650 than I thought I would, and have already racked up about 800 miles on an impromptu "New England Tour 2004." The bike is at my parents house, about 200 miles from my home and the dealer where I bought the bike. I've called a couple dealers local to where I am, and they're all reluctant to service the bike, or have never dealt with one, and I'm not particularly sure I want to be their guinea pig.

The dealer where I bought the bike, Stamford Motorsports, was really keen on the burger, and the service guy I spoke to knew the bike inside and out. He was even excited to tell me about the 600 mile service, referring to it as "a really great service." I'm very tempted to put on the extra 200 miles to get back home and have teh service done there; i've never met a service tech so enthused about his job as to refer to something as a "really great service!" :lol:

Any problems with running the bike up to about 1000-1100 miles before the service? I don't want to break anything, but I don't want to have a bunch of novices or yahoos working on the bike.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is no problem here with going an extra 400 miles for the first service. you can always change the oil yourself if it might be longer.

Relax.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I changed mine at 1000, not by choice, but by logistics. No problem here. The oil change that soon is to get the metal shavings (Ok, more like metal dust) out of the engine. If ya do it yourself, you'll see the metallic sheen to the oil as it comes out. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I think a good service at 1000 miles is better than a poor service at 800 miles. But if you can just get the engine oil changed before you head back, I agree with the other responses - that would be a good idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it be a problem if I changed the oil and not the filter? I don't have the tool for the filter, but I would assume an oil change by itself would be a pretty easy procedure.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I would think you can leave you filter for the extra miles, and while it would be a little better to change the oil this is only because of any metal findings that may be in it, the oil at 600 or 1000 miles is not "old".
Also do go the the dealer who knows your bike
my EX dealer filled the oil up with the bike on the kick stand and thinks a 400 has 2 spark plugs. :(
Any wonder he is my ex dealer. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
pgray007 said:
Would it be a problem if I changed the oil and not the filter? I don't have the tool for the filter, but I would assume an oil change by itself would be a pretty easy procedure.
I'd change the oil before riding back. But I'd also have it changed again when the machine is serviced (along with the filter) even though it only has a couple hundred miles on it. There are sure to be metal filings in that filter, and I'd think that some of them will find their way back into the new oil you put in. If you CAN do the filter now, it would be better - and you wouldn't have to change the oil again in 200 miles. Even one of the "inept" dealers where you are now should be able to do the oil & filter change. I'd consider that if it were me. I'd just mark the filter so that I could verify that it had been changed - and I would for sure check the oil level when they were done to make sure that they didn't over (or under) fill it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts