Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I can't believe I didn't find this board before now. I've been scouring the Internet for information on the Burgman for months, and now that I've bought one, my wife forwarded me a link, because I was muttering something about bungie hooks! :roll:

After a long time of drooling over the 650 and then the 400, I plunked down the change for a brand-new 2004 which was sitting in the local dealer. Caught him at the right time: it was actually snowing as we wrote up the paperwork. It's currently having heated handgrips installed, and I'll pick it up on the 29th of this month. Between the weather and travelling for work, there's not much point in getting it sooner. :(

I'm really looking forward to it. I've got a 40km trip to and from work each day, along the twisty Highway 14 here to Sooke. I've been bussing it for a year and a half now, and to quote Freddie Mercury: "I've got to break free!" My last bike was an '89 GSX-R 750, which I had to sell because I was moving. I figure I'm past the crotch rocket phase and the large fairing and under-seat trunk space appeal to me now.

But it does beg the question: should I go out riding on the Burgman with my neon yellow racing leathers? :withstupid:

Simon

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yellow? Sounds good to me, uh, Geek. :wink:
Actually, I'm getting ready to trim my black out with some yellow. 8)

Welcome to Burgman U.S.A.

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Simon. Glag to have you join us. Congratulations on the new Burgman 400.

Should you go out riding the Burgman in the yellow leathers? Sure. Why not? If I cared what other people though, I'd ended up on a "real bike" like the guys at work suggested when I told them I was buying a Burgman. I'm quite happy I ignored their advice and bought the Burgman.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Simon

Congratulations in your new purchase and pass on my congratulations to your wife for finding us. :)

Welcome to the forum :hello2:

Yellow leathers - well - it may not be the height of sartorial elegance but if you do not want to stump up for more aesthetic and equally effective protective clothing it sheer beats the hell out of skin grafting! (If you know where I am coming from?) :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Geek, yellow is mellow....better to be seen in early morn or late even darkness.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Simon and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new ride. I say wear the leathers! If you cared what people thought you wouldnt have bought the Burgman in the first place. What you do need to do is get is one of these T-shirts and everyone will understand when you take your leathers off.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I frequently wear a wineberry (maroon) colored helmet on my blue Burgman and my yellow V-Strom. It had matched nicely with my prior Kawasaki Concours... I'm not about to toss a perfectly good Shoei helmet for the sake of color coordination.

As for those yellow leathers... I'd love to have a set. They'd look great when riding my bumblebee (V-Strom). :wink:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yahoo! Another forum member living in Victoria. :headbang:

Welcome Simon! I'm glad you finally found us (BurgmanUSA). I know there are at least a dozen other Burgmans in the Victoria area, but they either haven't discovered this forum yet :shock: , or they are too busy riding in the rain.

There are several great forum members up-island. When the weather gets better, we should get together with them in Nanaimo for Chinese Food (great buffet) and fellowship. :)

Speaking of rain, if finally stopped yesterday, so my wife & I went for a great ride early last night. The streets had dried up and the air temp was a quite pleasant 10C (51F). Stayed out until it finally started to rain again at 9 pm :roll: . First time we have been able to ride since the first of the year, so it felt nice to get back on the road.

Well, at least the dam is getting filled up!

I will pm you with my home phone number. We can meet somewhere & chat about Burgy's. :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
ClassicGeek said:
Greetings!

But it does beg the question: should I go out riding on the Burgman with my neon yellow racing leathers? :withstupid:

Simon
Should you? You bet. :lol: My wife and I bought matching (Bright Yellow) jackets made by Carhart. They look great and they are highly visable and they really work great with an inter flap on the zipper that zips all the way up on your neck to help in the cold weather.
And welcome to the forum and I think you made the right choice (The 400 is great.) :lol: 8)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome Simon, it’s great to have another Burger rider on the Island. There are several Burgers in the Nanaimo area as well but it appears that they are unaware of this form. There is a new 2004 400 for sale at Harbour City Motorsport if anyone is looking to buy one, they will be having the annual spring sale tomorrow and I imagine that a deal can be had on the last 400 in stock. There is also a new, red, 2004 Gold Wing that will be discounted by $3,500.00 if anyone is interested in making a big move up. With the discount the price on the Gold Wing would be about $23,000.00 + tax.

I almost did a ride on Thursday as it was 55 degrees but the streets were not that dry so I passed. It looks like Reg had the bug worse than I did, good going Reg.

Cheers

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Al,

If we could get all these other Burgy's on the Island that are not yet a part of this forum organized, we could have a substantial Burger Clan. :D

I see 3 or 4 running around the city all the time, even in the rain. Guess I'll have to make up some business-sized cards to hand out. Something that has my name, phone # & the website address for BurgmanUSA. Then I would have something quick to give to these wandering orphans while they are sitting at a red light or anywhere else I see one. :D

Every Burgy owner on this Island needs to know about this forum! 8)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got 'er home

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

After much deliberation, my wife and I headed out into the rain today and picked up my 400 Burger from the dealer, rather than put it off until next weekend. I rode it home in the gathering dark and nasty weather.

What a ride. The bike was everything I hoped. Combine the excellent basic platform with the heated handgrips and electric vest, and I was one happy dude.

I doubt I'll be wearing the leathers: I've got an Axo ballistic nylon/armoured jacket. Okay, and let's face it: I don't quite fit in them anymore. **** things shrunk in the gut and butt area. I should write the company and complain... :wink: I will be getting a safety vest though. My wife said that the blue jacket practically diappeared in the dusk.

Simon

PS. Viva Van Isle Burgmans! Viva! Viva! :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I will be getting a safety vest though.
Hi Simon, before I bought my new Belstaff jacket (very visible), I always wore a traffic vest. I noticed several others doing it on smaller scooters and they sure were visible in traffic, especially on dark rainy days. :toothy2:

Who cares if it looks dorky. I want to enjoy life sitting on my Burgy, not laying some hospital bed :shock: because some cager couldn't see me.

I'd love one of these for the summer - http://www.newenough.com/icon_mil_spec_vest_page.htm

Just my opinion. 8)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Simon,

Glad you're enjoying the new 400. Hopefully you'll get a break in weather soon so you can really have some fun.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Simon
Congrats on your purchase.
For high visibility I wear the belt as shown on this Page - 3rd picture down It doesn't flap when windy and does not provide an extra (unwelcome)layer in the summer.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I normally wear a yellow coat for visibility. But the only reflective material it had was pinstriping, so I tried using a belt like Norman's when riding at night. I thought it was a pain to put on, so I convinced my wife to sew a nice reflective border at the top of the back of the coat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts