Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have blown it. I ground down the rings on the throttle sleeve to be even with the smooth base of the throttle sleeve. Now the throttle lock doesn't make contact with the sleeve when it is fully clamped down.

I ASSUMED that it would fit the sleeve sans ridges. I never though to check the OD and ID as I went along. Apparently it fits somewhere between ridges and no rideges.

It appears that the actual inner diameter of the VC is 1", which makes sense if the handlebars are 7/8" and the throttle sleeve fits loosely around them. I'm not sure what the final diameter of the throttle sleeve is, but it obviously less.

I tried to use PVC tape to take up the slack, but it bunches up and jams the lock in place so that it won't do the auto return thing, which isn't safe or cool.

I've ordered another throttle sleeve and will try to figure out how far is far enough as I go. I haven't read of any problems associateed with the VC clamping down on the rings and ridges, rather than on a uniformly smooth surface...

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Fran,

Can you provide me with the part number for the sleeve? Is this for the AN650?

Thanks

Janine :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) Seatec, yes there is quite a bit of adjustment to the VC, however, with the spring and bolt out, permitting maximum clamping, there is still daylight between the VC and the sleeve.

2) Janine, this IS for the 650. The part number is: 57110-46E01. The Catalog Description is "SU PSU Grip, Throttle." MSRP is 27.79 US. You're welcome 8)

We knew a Janine in college back in Sandy Eggo. That was a LONG time ago. :lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Hmm. I don't recall hearing of others having trouble with the VC after grinding down the ridge.

There are different models, and the one that was recommended to me is the VistaCruise Universal, if I recall. (I never got around to installing it, and it's lost somewhere in my junk bin.)

I hope you get everyting worked out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I assume y'all know that there is a 7/8" and a 1" version of the Universal Vista Cruise....

Bill...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the 074044 for Yamaha single and double throttle cables that was recommended.

Since the ID is 1" I'm assuming that this is the 7/8" version - though there is nothing on the package to so indicate. The sleeve is necessarily thicker and there is space between the sleeve and the handlebar. 1/16" additional thickness would translate to exactly the 1/8" difference in diameter.

If anybody knows otherwise - I'm all eyes!

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Fran, I have installed VCs on five Burgmans, 2-650s and 3-400s. On two of the VCs, I added a small nylon washer as a spacer between the thumb lever and the opposing surface to increase the holding power. But on both, the VC would lock down on the throttle just not hard enough to hold it for extended periods. None of them had the gap you described.

I do not remember the models, but they were for dual cable Japanese bikes.

Do you have any dealers in your area were you can compare your VC model to the other VC models?

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unfortunately, we don't live anywhere near any dealers. The closest dealers are in the Phoenix area - nearly 200 miles away. We were just there on Saturday - but I didn't have a chance to do any measurement etc. until we got home.

I've found a piece of plastic (the edge of a coffee can lid) that looks like it might be of suitable thickness. I'm going to try gluing it in place and then fitting the VC over that! Not much to lose trying. I have a replacement throtle sleeve ordered already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fran

There is a Suzuki dealer in Flagstaff,

Has a Burgman 400 on the Floor, so he should be able to provide service.

I have not been out to check him out yet but he is on my list.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Northland Motorsports
Take them off your list...
I have not yet spoken to anybody who has been satisfied with the service received at this dealership. They handle Honda, Yamaha, Kawsaki, and Suzuki.

We have taken bikes to them 3 times for service over the past 5 years. Before they moved and changed management (maybe not in that order), they provided good service. On both subsequent visits they have made major mistakes :evil: I didn't catch the first one until we had ridden the 60 miles home. I double checked their work after the 2nd trip and corrected the incorrectly adjusted belt before riding off.

We have heard many stories of untightened bolts, left over parts and work undone or overcharging for work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the warning, I will remove them from the list.

Who do you use in the valley ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fran's not available at the moment so I thought I'd reply. We use Town and Country Motorsports in Chandler. We go 87 to Country Club which I believe becomes Arizona Ave. It's several blocks past Costco on the east side. Typically, they expect you to leave your bike for the whole day no matter what time your appt is scheduled for, but when they found out how far we travel, they made a point of getting done around noon. Mike has been very helpful. It's a very busy shop but they have quite a few mechanics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts