Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got around to installing my VIP trunk on the back of my 650 Blue Lightning today. Took me most of the day.

So, I started with the hints from the photo section to take the plastics off. Turns out that the PLUS marks on the backside of the tail cover on my bike did not line up directly with the bolt's holes in the tail frame. So, it took me a while to whittle/shave the plastic enough to line things up. So, mounting the metal frame of the GIVI mount was fairly simple. Next came the plastic part of the mount.

I already had used my hack saw to cut off the "tabs" from the plastic piece of the GIVI mount. These "tabs" allow the typical GIVI case to be attached to their mount. THey stick up from the mount and allow their cases to be easily removed and attached without bolts. But, the VIP is not GIVI friendly. So, I had to hack off the vertical tabs. And then during the install process, I found that the bolt holes on the side of the mount also had to be hacked off because the VIP's center section has a raised center section on its bottom. SO, for the most part, the GIVI's mount only touches a one inch section around the bottom of the case due to its raised center section. These outside bolt holes were hacked off to allow the case to sit down on the mount better.

Using the default bolt holes on the mount and the VIP located forward caused the VIP to sit to far forward preventing the seat from coming up. So, I had to reset the case a little more rearward and had to drill new bolt holes. So, the first hole was drilled up through GIVI's front tab (the tab that was cut off, front as if looking at the mount - standing at rear of bike). The next two were drilled through the GIVI's back wing tips.

I used philips head machine bolts. The bolt on the front of the mount was 2.5 inches and the two at the back were 2 inches long.

Even after trying to make sure that I had enoug clearance between the seat and the VIP, the final installed location had the seat slightly brushing up against the VIP when opening the seat. It is definitely clear that the VIP was not designed for the GIVI mount. The VIP's hardware was not useful or used at all when used with the GIVI mount.

One thing I will try to do next, is to remove the plastic piece to the GIVI mount since it really does not serve a purpose for the VIP case. It is only used for GIVI cases. Might make a cleaner mounting surface for my VIP. Because most of the time spent installing this case was on just trying to line up the case to fit right.

BTW, the VIP's blue color is a much darker blue than the suzuki blue. But, it still is close enough to make the purchase worth the reduced price from the GIVI cases. Also noted a rattle of the trunk's lid when closed. The latch on the insde was able to be adjusted so I dropped the latch just a hair and now the lid fits tighter and is much quieter.

Several things I don't like about the VIP: (but don't make me regret the purchase)
1) the mounting hardware was TAPED to the bottom inside of the case. When I removed the tape it left almost all of the tape's sticky residue on the case.
2) there were a half dozen holes in the bottom of the case that will need to be filled in with silicone caulk.
3) the wiring harness for the lights only contained the male connectors. They did not provide the female connectors and extra wire to connect the case to the bike's wiring.
4) the cushion on the case is designed for adults. My 10yo son tried it out and his contact was on the bottom edge of the cushion with the main part of his back touching the bottom of the case where there is no cushion. I will have to add a cushion to the bottom if he is gonna ride for any length of time.

So far, I am happy with my purchase and the installation. I will fiddle with it some more to insure a more secure and stable installation. And I will post some pics when I get the lights hooked up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It must of been a huge savings buying the VIP box to justify all the added work. I did have to widen the back of the holes, also when I installed my GIVI bracket. Used an E45 box, installed in about an hour. An extra 20 min for the lights. It is nice having the extra storage.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here is what I did. Its too late for you, as you already cut your plasitc tabs on the givi mount:

Well, Yesterday I finally got my givi mount. When I went to install it on my burgman 650, after I had mounted the base plate, and was looking at having to cut off the tabs on the trunk plate that the givi trunk would lock into, I decided that I really didn't need to use that, as I could just bolt the VIP trunk to the base plate, and all would be good.
That way, If in the furture I do decide to get a Givi trunk, I'll still have the working mount for it.
The trunk is on, and solid as a rock.
I did have to enlarge the holes a bit for the bolts that go into the bike, but not by much. Just enough so the bolts would line up and go in straight.
I just thought I'd share with the group this information.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wilder,
Yeah, I didn't think of that until I had whacked off all the high points.
Have you thought of a way to cover the holes on the bottom of the VIP?

Lckdragon... I still think it was. I would much rather do some extra work than have to pay out an extra $200 for an equivalent case. It was a little more work than I anticipated. And, if I took Wilder's track, it would have been easier and faster. When I redo my case, I will construct it like Wilder, making sure that I can open and close the seat.

But, the case is on, I have LOTS of storage now, it rides quiet, and looks ........... well....... looks good enough for me. And will look much better when I get the lights hooked up.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
captainfish said:
...I have LOTS of storage now, it rides quiet, and looks ........... well....... looks good enough for me.
What? The tool box and bungee cord look didn't do it for you? :wink:

Congrats on the job completed. Looking forward to the pics.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
heheheheeheheeee

hey, good idea.
I can do before and after shots.

yeah, the toolbox was a highly temporary measure, but could still be useful. I was able to put my duffle bag into my VIP, along with a jacket. I put my laptop, shoes, light jacket, gloves, tools, bungies, paperwork all in my scooters trunk.

hehehee, gotta love it.

Just arrived at Parksville, CA. Took the Coho Ferry across to Victoria and the Strait of Juan de Fuca waters were almost glass still. Very unlike the past few days when there was a gail a blowin'. I am staying at the Tigh-Na-Mara lodge for another conference. Currently pluckin away at laptop looking out my balcony overlooking the straight of Georgia's waters and the mountains to the east of there on the mainland. GORGEOUS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts