Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a low mileage (kilometerage?) 2018 Burgman 650. It showed 4200 kms and is mint. BUT, I've noticed significant vibrations coming up through the floorboard between 2 and 4,000 rpm. Above that they taper off. My 2005 Burger has always been much smoother in that speed range. I've check the rear wheel while up on the centre stand, running it up to 5,000 rpm, and the wheel doesn't bounce, so I doubt it's out of balance. I don't notice vibration in the handlebars, so I doubt the front wheel is out of balance. Is there anything else I should be looking at and checking, or am I just going to have to live with it? It's not all that bad, compared to some machines I've owned, but more noticeable than the older Burger. As long as it's not a BELT flat spot or such, I might have to live with the vibes, and just wear thicker soled boots.
ADVICE, SUGGESTIONS?

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
Ron, Welcome back. What was your prior user name? I can merge the tow accounts.

I think many 2013 and up riders have reported this mid range vibration. They may pile on here soon.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still noticing the same Vibration on the bike,especially between 2 - 4 thou. RPM. BUT something I've also noticed on various occasions. When I start the bike, most times it just STARTS. No issues, no drama. BUT every so often, perhaps once or twice on a long ride after stops, I will get a LOUD Noise when I hit the starter. It is hard to describe, but almost a GRUNCH or BANG. It reminds me of an old car with some broken teeth on the ring gear. Sometimes it starts OK and the next time it hits that space between the broken teeth and GRUNCH when it hits the next tooth in line. Should I worry about it, and is there anything I can do to check what the hell is happening? I can ask the local dealer but they don't get many Burgers for servicing so I doubt they will be much help.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
180 Posts
I can't address the Burgman 650 specifically, but vibrations like you describe would make me think of checking the engine mounts; however, for a 2018 with such low kilometrage ;) it doesn't jive.

I'd hate to throw you a red herring!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Did it have the vibrations when you test drove it? If so, did you mention it to the former owner?
On my 2013, which should be the same, there is some definite perceivable vibrations from around 2.2k-3k rpm’s, during light acceleration, or inclines, when the CVT is keeping the revs low with a higher torque output from the engine. Helps gas mileage. It’s normal for a loaded twin cylinder. Above 3k it smooths out. If you have uncomfortable vibration above 3k rpm’s, I’d say something is amiss.

On the noise. My bike, and some others here, have an occasional start up, “pop”, when the engine is hot, and you just shut it off for a few minutes- like visiting a gas station. I don’t know for sure what exactly it is, but it doesn’t seem to be terminal. It’s not a gear grinding sound like you describe, and it happens after the engine cranks, and catches. Like I said , it’s a pop, like a “poing”, or “pang”sound, basically a compressed gas explosion sound. Are sure you are not hearing this sound?
Do you have anyone near you with a 13+ to compare your symptoms with?

·
Premium Member
19,072 Posts
Still noticing the same Vibration on the bike,especially between 2 - 4 thou. RPM. BUT something I've also noticed on various occasions. When I start the bike, most times it just STARTS. No issues, no drama. BUT every so often, perhaps once or twice on a long ride after stops, I will get a LOUD Noise when I hit the starter. It is hard to describe, but almost a GRUNCH or BANG. It reminds me of an old car with some broken teeth on the ring gear. Sometimes it starts OK and the next time it hits that space between the broken teeth and GRUNCH when it hits the next tooth in line. Should I worry about it, and is there anything I can do to check what the hell is happening? I can ask the local dealer but they don't get many Burgers for servicing so I doubt they will be much help.
on my 15 the starter sits on top easy to access when the engine cover is removed, i don't suppose it would be very difficult to pull the starter, use a borescope, and turn the motor to check the teeth all the way around, checking the oil for bits stuck on the magnet, may help also.
looking at the starter teeth may show some wear or damage too.
my 15 will sometimes give a nice pop when starting when engine is hot, sort of like detonation of fuel when you use wrong octane and get a bang or knock, i suspect it is fuel igniting when the gas from a previous injection that was not fired by the ignition system because the motor was turned off just before the plug was supposed to fire, gets fired when the wrong hole is open, it kinda goes, normal start udnudnrunrunrun when it bangs it's bangrunrunrun

pardon the tech language, swmbo tells me what the scientificcy terms are

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm due for an oil change soon so will pay attention to the condition of the drain plug magnet. As for the VIBES, it's definitely most noticeable at lower RPM, but smooths out nicely as the revs rise. The only reason I'm asking is my '05-650 was noticeably smoother at lower revs. I know they changed the drive train along the way, so that may be the reason it feels different. I have a friend with an '09-650 with about 38,000km, so I'll have to ride his machine and see if it feel the same. I'll try to do that soon. While it's in the vibe range, it feels like some of my older manual shift bikes that were running one gear too high for the revs.
As for the loud BANG when starting from hot, the explanation above sounds logical. I'll still consult my local dealer, for what ever that is worth.
Has anyone seen any information about a possible replacement for the Burgman to meet the Euro 5 regs?

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
On the noise. My bike, and some others here, have an occasional start up, “pop”, when the engine is hot, and you just shut it off for a few minutes- like visiting a gas station. I don’t know for sure what exactly it is, but it doesn’t seem to be terminal. It’s not a gear grinding sound like you describe, and it happens after the engine cranks, and catches. Like I said , it’s a pop, like a “poing”, or “pang”sound, basically a compressed gas explosion sound. Are sure you are not hearing this sound?
That’s the way it is for me on a 06 650 …Hair Trigger Starter Button… I don’t hear the starter spin it’s just a thump and it’s on…almost like the compression didn’t bleed off.

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
The pop on start may be the ECM advancing the timing a few degrees till it pops and then backs it down some.

Happens in milliseconds as even at 1150 RPM idle, the pistons are hitting Top Dead Center 19 times per SECOND, 9.5 times compression and 9.5 times exhaust.

(at 8500 RPM Redline it is hitting TDC 142 times per second. The sparkplug fires 71 times in that same second)

·
Premium Member
4,745 Posts
That quick? Not even a quick “Yip-Yip”, before the “POP”?😁
No Yip-Yip to the ear…. just press ….Thump …..and it’s On.

Sorta Scary but Sorta Neat !

Edit…

Just made a quick trip to the convenience store two yip yips on the way back home. The Hair Trigger abnormality only happens when the outside temps move towards triple digits.

·
Registered
912 Posts
No Yip-Yip to the ear…. just press ….Thump …..and it’s On.

Sorta Scary but Sorta Neat !

Edit…

Just made a quick trip to the convenience store two yip yips on the way back home. The Hair Trigger abnormality only happens when the outside temps move towards triple digits.
Now that I think about it, I think I also have had times when it’s hot, and it almost appears to start without even a complete revolution. Almost instantaneously.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your right, when I first start it "cold" that noise hasn't occurred. Since it seems to be a characteristic of those model years, I suppose I shall just ignore it, and hope the engine doesn't self destruct. Planning a ride this weekend, and with luck I'll put on enough KMS to justify an oil/filter change. I can then check the oil and magnetic drain plug for any debris.
Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts