Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just replaced tires on my 2007 400. Got 14,000 miles out of original hoops, so went back with hoops again, both front and back. Took it to a local bike shop for mount and balance. There are weights on the wheel so it appears they did balance. But, now at indicated 80 mph (normal traffic flow), I'm getting a definite vibration up through the seat. The bike has always been super smooth, had it up to indicated 101, with no vibrations. So, tire issue, or something else going on?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
The tire were mounted in the right direction, the yellow dot on the tire is lined up with the valve stems and the tire pressure is good. On another the weights you're seeing could possibly be the ones that came with the bike and may not have been removed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm no expect but could the difference be static vs dynamic balancing? Maybe the installer for the new tires only did a static balance and at the speeds you travel that could lead to vibration that a dynamic balance would eliminate.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
You can do a little test in the garage.
1. On the centerstand, run the bike up to 50-70 mph. (Obviously, be careful to ensure nothing will touch that rear wheel.)
2. Check for the tires being out of round. I bought an Avon front tire once. I watched them balance it. But as soon as I took it out on the road, I had a bad vibration that wasn't there before. It turned out the tire was not round. You could visibly see it moving in and out from the side when you looked at the tread going around.

You might consider taking it back to the place you bought the tire from if it happened right after putting on the new tires.

Chris

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Some places, and I have only found 2, do not balance them because they do not realize our scooter goes over 30 MPH. They hear "scooter" and just assume it is a low speed application and they mount the tires without balancing them. The same way they do tires on quads and dirt bikes. I would have them re-balance the wheel.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
1. Take to shop and re-balance.

2. Buy the $39 balance stand from Harbor Freight and check the balance yourself.
You could make a balance stand if you are handy, the problem is the small metal cones are specialized and I have not seen such things elsewhere. BUT they are available separately from the manufacturer of the stand.

3. I don't know that bike shops use dynamic balancing for MC tires. Probably because MC tires are usually lighter and static balance is good enough "most of the time". Except for you. :(

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I recently started running Dynabeads in my tires, and any balancing issues I had are gone.

Prior to this, if I loosened my grip on the bars, a wobble would quickly develop. Not any more!

If you search the forum, you'll find plenty of information and discussion on this......that's why I chose to give them a try, and my experience has been positive.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When I first heard of DynaBeads I thought " what a load of manure" but just to show
no hard feelings when I changed my rear about 2000 miles back I put 2 oz of BB,s in
and removed all the weights, smooth as silk, only thing I have noticed is I can hear
them rolling about when I push the scoot about, impressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts