Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I notice the same thing from new to now, as my 2009 get more mileage it started to vibate a little bit, one problem is I need 2 new spark plug.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Terry Dill said:
Another thing that can cause vibration is having bad gas. If your octane is too low you are not getting an even fire for a good clean engine rev. Most of the time this can be heard as a pinging in the engine. But if it is really bad, the engine will vibrate causing the whole bike to shutter.

I would put some good gas from a reputable station with new tanks in the ground. Maybe go up one grade and see if that doesn't solve some of the problem. If it does, then maybe your timing is off. I remember my father would run his engines a little bit further advanced that what the specs called for. But, to make up for it, he had to run higher octane gas. It could be your engine computer is off a bit for perfect engine timing.

You said the problem is getting progressively worse. Could what good gas you had is getting more and more diluted with bad gas.
Hi Guys,
what is this thing with "Bad Gas" is this someone with some type of flatulence problem? good gas is getting progressively diluted with bad Gas, what???? it seems that every problem on the Burgy always gets down to "Bad Gas". if you had contaminated fuel, you would know about it, and you would fell it to specially on your wallet. I am sorry Terry but I had enough of this bad gas thing. Contaminated fuel is very rare now days, maybe a few years back this would happen but not now. when I got my 650 it had a full tank on it and had stood in a warehouse for a year and when I got home it just started no problems. fuels are diferent now and have to meet a lot of regulations.

Now the nature of the Burgman transmission is probably the cause of this vibration, the primary assembly for instances is a snug fit on the CVT but after a few miles you can see that it could develop some small movement and cause some vibration, the clutch is centrifugal hence if the springs just deteriorate a tiny amount it could be very slightly imbalanced and produce some vibration. if the timing is slightly out or the valves are not set just right you would also get some vibration, if any of your bearings is going it would produce some vibration. You take a pick. My question to you Sttarbuck is, what is the level of vibration and is it getting worse because you are actually concentrating to much on it?
Best Regards
Luis

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I doubt that we can do much about the gearing range on the 650, however, if you are experiencing the vibration at certain ranges and it really bugs you, you can try adding some absorbent material to the under side of the floor boards and nuts and bolts areas...

it should alleviate some of the vibration issues that are transmitted directly to the rider via the frame to which all the tupperware is attached.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I agree with Ledude. After I switched to diamond plate floorboards the vibration was much more noticeable. Either the vibration has gotten better or I've gotten used to it.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine has a vibration when starting from a stop. It only lasts a second or two at low speeds. To eliminate it is easy, hit the power button and no more vibration!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
The only vibrations that has concerned me over the 10,000 miles or so Is the vibrations caused by engine lugging in manual mode.(going to slow for the gear selected) rider error.

I have also noticed that fast acceleration from stand still will also cause some vibration however I only noticed this after fitting the C/T.

The only vehicle with a few clicks on that I have ever had the pleasure of driving that was free of vibrations, that I could feel anyway, was a Rolls Royce and it wasn’t mine.

[attachment=0:k0bojslh]rolls_royce_6.jpg[/attachment:k0bojslh]

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
That’s exactly the way it feels to me only I’m in drive in the automatic mode. Changing to manual mode goes to forth needing third.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello All!

Well it took me a few days to check what Terry Dill suggested, and that was to run out the tank as far as I thought safe and filled it up at another gas station with another brand. After doing so, it seems the vibration has been eliminated. Now the question is do I have contamination or water at the bottom of the tank? Is this situation going to resume as I get low on fuel? Only a few days (well probably a week or two) will be needed to see what happens.

I have owned this bike since I bought it brand new off of the showroom floor in 2008, and I have never experienced this before. I tend to use the same brand of gas, but on the previous tank I had to go with another brand because of low fuel. I may use an additive to disperse the contamination or have the tank drained if needed.

This is definitely not caused by the brand or name on the badge. I have the bike serviced at the dealer at the beginning of each year since I put about 4000 on it each year, and do a complete service including replacing all fluids and filters. I also use Amsoil brand for all fluids (oil, brake, and final drive) except coolant. I have 9950 miles on after riding this afternoon to see a client, so I will replace the stopper bolt at 10k.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to think about what my problem could be. I have the highest respect for everyone on this site and their respective thoughts about problems that occur, and how willing everyone is to make sure we all experience a great time riding!

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
Coffee Cup said:
I may use an additive to disperse the contamination or have the tank drained if needed.
I would say either is not needed, I would just work a few tanks through. Usually any contaminates are at the bottom of the tank, so they will be the 1st thing out as the tank empties.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It is beginning to get cold and you will discover that many fuel stations will start stocking an abundance of products that will take moisture out of the gas. They come in pint size containers. Instructions on the label usually say one pint for 10 gallons of fuel and these products cost usually less than $3. I'd buy a pint of the stuff and put half in your tank and top off. Then the next refueling sequence put the other half in. The stuff will break up the water molecules and let them pass through with the gas. It won't hurt and is recommended in colder climates where the cold air condensates in the tank to cause a lot of water to form.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Well, it's been 3 months since i switched from my 400 to the 650. The vibration at take off still kind of bugs me.
It usually is more pronounced at take off, especially if the engine is cold. I have noticed that starting off slowly and accelerating
at a slower pace instead of gunning it lessens the vibration. It is strange that the vibration is minimal once cruising speed is reached
around 4000-4500 rpm seems to be the sweet spot. Recently rode my friends "08" 400 and there is some vibration at take off but not nearly
as much as my 650. On the other hand, cruising at 60-70mph is so sweet on the 650 compared to the 400. I guess everything has a trade off.
Hopefully i don't find out later this vibration has caused damage to the engine or clutch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unless you are using something other that E10 fuel, there is nothing that will take water out of the fuel. E10 is what most everybody is having to use now with the change over. If you get a small amount of water, the alcohol in the fuel will absorb it. Any more and it will phase separate. That means the water and alcohol will drop out of the mixture and go to the bottom. It don't burn either. What is left in the tank is a low octane fuel that will damage the engine. Not much of a problem in the automotive industry but its dealing us fits in the marine end.

·
Registered
538 Posts
It feels weird to necrothread a 10 years old post, but as it seems normal here (and i see why it is), here i am.

Saturday i've done a trip to the sea with my wife. This meant 130km on the highway at 130kmh (gps, TRON was saying >140) in 6th gear, 4 hours of beach, and the same to go home. Also some hard bumps (bad bridge junctions) and also a hole that bottomed the rear shock. (this to give you all the infos i can think off)

Now i feel vibrations at low RPM.... just like when in manual you forgot a gear too high... it happens during acceleration and deceleration, and it fades almost all out at higher speeds. I "hear" it like a very low rumble, almost subsonic, but it is not really a noise, it is how my body feels it.

What concerns me is its augmentation. I never felt it before.

Should i check something, or is it normal to have it "appears" at a certain point of his life?

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Necrothread 🤣🤣🤣...... for a person who speaks english as a second language .... You have really become great at it !

I would look for the signs of a missing tire balance weight or a knot on the tire sidewalls.

And your right again Parduz,

·
Registered
538 Posts
Necrothread 🤣🤣🤣...... for a person who speaks english as a second language .... You have really become great at it !
I can't take any credit, it's just common forum jargon ;)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I had a vibration in my 2012 and it turned out to be the rear wheel bearings so naturally I changed them all along with the seals. This is the 3rd time in almost 28K miles that I have change them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My mechanic tried the scooter and said that he fears it is the belt going to break. A friend of him arrived in that moment and when asked how was for his (ex) burgman, he said "i asked for a vibration i felt from the foot pads.... i thought at a bearing, and a week after my belt was broken". He did'nt know who i am and why i were here.

I'm very worried.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts