Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I recently started experiencing a vibration in my 06' 650. I feel it in the floorboards, grips and seat. Basically the whole bike. I have 9800 miles on the clock and I am wondering if this is the CVT, or is it something else. I decided to replace my CVT bolt at 10,000 as a precaution and wonder if anyone experienced this before replacing theirs.

I really get this vibration at around 30 mph, and gradually goes away as I pick up speed. I've even thought about wheel balance, but it doesn't feel like a wheel or tire problem, but a mechanical issue.

I have had it serviced at a dealership earlier this year, but this has just started to occur. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
What RPM are you experiencing this at?

If I use manual mode, and let the RPM's drop to 2,500-3,000, and then open the throttle a bit, I will get a vibration. I feel the engine is lugging at these lower RPM's. Auto mode keeps around 3,500 -4,000 at minimum, while Power will keep them at 4,000-4,500 RPM minimum. There is no vibration for me at the higher RPM's.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have a 2009 exec and have been riding it for about 5wks. I notice a slight vibration to where my feet are resting
in the lower gear up to about 30mph. I just thought this vibration was normal for the 650. It isn't very bad, just a slight vibration,
and it goes go away as rpm's climb. :? I wonder if anyone has had a issue with this before :?: Maybe it is normal.
My 400 was not as smooth riding and alot louder but i do not remember a vibration at any speed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Sometimes i think one can over analyze and imagine problems that are really not problems but just the nature of the beast.
After all, a Burgman is a form of enjoyable transportation and should be taken as such. When i first bought my AN400 i did nothing but
get on her and ride baby ride with a huge grin on my face :D :thumbup: Now that i have the Exec, i seem to be analyzing its every move .
It's time to step back and just get back to turning the key, backing the beast up, and letting her rip :)
Thanks to Ledude for putting things into perspective. One day i hope to meet you because you really are a 8) dude. :lol:

·
Registered
500 Posts
LeDude said:
most 650s have a slight vibration zone between 2-3k rpm and 15-30 mph depending in what gear you find yourself, kind of the nature of the beast along with its diesel sound...
+1, Question our manual recommends every 3500-4000 miles that a torque check on the Chassis Bolts and Nuts. Have you done one lately?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
ybbor said:
... +1, Question our manual recommends every 3500-4000 miles that a torque check on the Chassis Bolts and Nuts. Have you done one lately?
I do that as part of my annual check-up / service.... of course if I lived in an area where the roads were very bumpy I might do it more often... to date I haven't had any loose bolts.

I change my oils and filters (air / clean cvt) every 5k miles, and always take the tupperware off on both sides so I can do a quick manual/visual inspection of the hidden parts/nuts/bolts...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oops sorry Ledude,

The question was directed to the owner of the thread...... yes though... I had both my high beams bulbs break this year because of the poor road condition in London. Will be stripping the burg down to check for loose stuff.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The floor board bolts have come loose on mine a few times which leads to vibrations that cease after I tighten them

·
Registered
968 Posts
Coffee Cup said:
Hello All,

I really get this vibration at around 30 mph, and gradually goes away as I pick up speed. I've even thought about wheel balance, but it doesn't feel like a wheel or tire problem, but a mechanical issue.

Sometimes a wheel weight can fall off and then the wheel is no longer in balance. But, I'd say that since you don't get the vibration past 30 mph then that is probably not your problem.

If valve clearance is off, that can cause the engine to vibrate a bit at low RPMs. Also if a vacuum hose is cracked, loose or come off, that will cause the engine to vibrate. Just throwing some things at you to think about.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Coffee Cup,
Instead of a speed, try to pay attention to the RPMs when the vibration occurs. Having a vibration through a narrow RPM range is actually well documented for the 650. For me, it happens right at 3k.
http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Engine#Engine_Vibration

·
Registered
151 Posts
It may have been well documented but why has the question not been answered? There are too many 650 owners having the same problem I being one, there has to be an Burgman mechanic out there that has the answer. All I know is my 650 didn't vibrate when I got it but it sure does now in the same 3000 to 3200 RPM range. This started at about 14000 miles and at 18000 continues to get worse.

answer????

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Sttarbuck said:
It may have been well documented but why has the question not been answered? There are too many 650 owners having the same problem I being one, there has to be an Burgman mechanic out there that has the answer. All I know is my 650 didn't vibrate when I got it but it sure does now in the same 3000 to 3200 RPM range. This started at about 14000 miles and at 18000 continues to get worse.
answer????
get a different bike, the 650s rattle and shake between 2-3k rpm and it seems to be the case for just about any model year out there...

just a characteristic of the engine as it breaks in.

it is most likely induced by the way they have the gearing programmed, one of the downsides of an automatic bike.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
We rarely get a MC mechanic on this forum. I'm pretty sure Suzuki is going to blow you off if you take your bike in to get fixed. They'll probably call it normal as well.
I have ridden an 07 Exec, same as mine, that did not have the vibration. So... WHO KNOWS.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I've noticed than mine vibrates the floorboards when I accelerate harder than normal and even more when the engine isn't up top operating temp. I figured its the nature of the beast and not paid much attention to it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
+1 :thumbup:

CaptKen said:
I've noticed than mine vibrates the floorboards when I accelerate harder than normal and even more when the engine isn't up top operating temp. I figured its the nature of the beast and not paid much attention to it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I feel a slight vibration also. It is nothing to worry about. The Burgman on take-off is in too high a gear. So when you take-off the engine and bike shutters. You can get the same exact feeling with a bike that has to be shifted and has a hand clutch to engage. If you take off, say in second gear from a stop, that bike will shutter if you don't have the engine revs wound up. If you are doing about 30 in third gear and try to get on the gas, the bike will shutter until the RPMs match the opitimum speed. Think back when the first time you drove a car and were trying to learn the manual transmission and were not engaging the clutch smoothly or you were in second and going to slow. Yep, your car lerched and shuttered and vibrated and you probably killed the engine. Our Burgmans are not geared low enough for that really spin the wheel excitement on take-off. Therefore, you may or may not feel the vibration as you take off from a stop. Take off really slow and ease on up to speed and you won't feel the vibration the same way.

Another thing that can cause vibration is having bad gas. If your octane is too low you are not getting an even fire for a good clean engine rev. Most of the time this can be heard as a pinging in the engine. But if it is really bad, the engine will vibrate causing the whole bike to shutter.

I would put some good gas from a reputable station with new tanks in the ground. Maybe go up one grade and see if that doesn't solve some of the problem. If it does, then maybe your timing is off. I remember my father would run his engines a little bit further advanced that what the specs called for. But, to make up for it, he had to run higher octane gas. It could be your engine computer is off a bit for perfect engine timing.

You said the problem is getting progressively worse. Could what good gas you had is getting more and more diluted with bad gas.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sttarbuck said:
never had anything but 93 octane in the tank.
Does not matter the octane if the tank is contaminated. Maybe you filled up from a station that has water getting into the tank.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It would seem having bad gas would cause an engine to run poorly at any RPM
What else other than the engine and the centrifugal clutch is turning at the same RPM?
I 'm leaning more toward the clutch being the problem.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts