Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that as I age I become less and less tolerant of the weather. Not so good a thing when you like to ride two wheelers. Now in the colder months I have for the last 20 years or so been using and very much enjoying a heated jacket that plugs into my 12v on the bike. Makes a chilly or flat out cold ride not just bearable but quite enjoyable.

But when it is hot- I mean really hot like high 90's and above what to do? I have used for years the vest that you soak in water for a while and then on before heading out. And they work pretty good for a while. Then after they dry out, which is pretty fast, you have to stop and re-wet them somehow and put them back on again. And they feel so clammy after a short time too. They are better than nothing but they do have their drawbacks.

So after reading reports of them and watching Youtube videos I have ordered me a Veskimo system like this one in the video: http://www.veskimo.com/.

I don't know if any of you use one of these or something like it but I am going try it. Hopefully, the days that I don't ride because it is too dang hot will be a thing of the past with this. And besides, all gas stations have an ice machine it seems so if you are on the road and you need to refill the thing you can do it when you stop for gas.

If I like this vest I will let you know. If I dont like it I also will let you know.

And if any of you are planning on ordering one put in the code "Heart14" when it ask for it and it will save you $70. That's what I did.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
did you get the backpack version or the ice chest version? I like the idea of the backpack one but I think the ice chest would fit in the tunnel quite nicely.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got one with the 9 quart cooler. The backpack model is geared more towards off road riders I think.

And I did not even think about putting it on the tunnel. Great idea. If I did that I would still have room for my travel bag on the back seat.

I have a June trip planned to Phoenix and from there across New Mexico, Texas and then on to Tennessee before heading back to Idaho. Being able to stay cool though such very hot areas is why I went ahead and ordered the thing. Besides, I couldn't find anything but positive reports about them from owners. I hope that I will have positive reports as well. I guess that I will find out.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why heck yeah. One of my daughters lives there which is why I am going but I bet that she wouldnt miss me for a few hours or so. Might even give me money for gas. :D

Won't be for another 4 months there abouts. But will let you know as time gets closer.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sounds awesome. For your trip, look at the Geigerrig Hydration systems. I love them. It's like the next step from a camel back. I stop at the gas station and dump ice from the soda fountain in it, grab a gallon of water and I'm set. It sprays out instead of sucking on a tube. They even have a smaller tube to fit inside the helmet now.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm....looks interesting. I usually just keep me a sippy cup in my holder. I am not going to be wearing backpack when I ride though as it gets in the way of my backrest on the bike.

I have a Camelback that I bought years ago to use on ATV rides but got tired of it. A little different concept here though I will admit.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's what keeps me from having a back rest. I want to find a way to put it in one of the saddle bags or something.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back rest are too important to me anymore to do without one. I can take it off if I want and I do every now and then but after a few miles I find myself leaning back wanting it so I always put it back on. Just my riding style I suppose but I do like the support that they give me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I like it! Put that one on the want list, maybe need list.:D Now, how to cool my helmet liner.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any update on use?
Yessir. I took a 5250 mile road trip a few weeks ago and used it. I decided to take my Goldwing because I opted to pull my small trailer. I used the Veskimo almost all the way through southern Arizona, New Mexico and a good deal of Texas. I put in a 10# bag of ice (available at every gas stop) and just a few ozs of water when I wanted to use it. And it worked too. I wore a t-shirt under the vest and marveled at how comfortable it kept me. I wore a light jacket over the vest to insulate it from the heat. The instructions say for best results to wear the vest next to bare skin and I tried that but wow, that was like too chilly! Had to keep shutting it off and turning it back on. With a t-shirt under it I could just turn it on and let it run.

The warmest day that I used it was 105 degrees and it really was a blessing. My arms got a bit warm because of the jacket but my torso was nice and cool and that in turn cooled my whole body. Just like a heated vest in the wintertime in reverse.

All in all it did what I hoped that it would do and that was to make a miserably hot ride into not just a tolerable one but one that was truly enjoyable. An extra buck and a half or two bucks at every gas stop sure was worth the comfort. Was it ever!

Worth $400? Well, I plan on riding for 10 years or more yet I hope. If I use it just 10 times a year that's only 4 bucks a day to stay nice and cool no matter how hot it is. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I like it! Put that one on the want list, maybe need list.:D Now, how to cool my helmet liner.
I have a Mission Endura-cool evaporative tube which wear under my helmet..
It works really well, but doesn't last that long (20-30 mins) before needing re-wetting.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Awesome review. Thanks. Got a military one with some specialized connector so I'll post all about it when I have it done. How'd you power it and mount it with the Burgman?

·
Registered
806 Posts
hot weather clothes

I live in South Florida. It gets really hot here in the summertime. What I use to keep cool is a "long sleeve Hanes " tee shirt. The material is 100% polyester. The air goes right thru it. It is sunburn proof PSF 50. They come in pastel colors. I bought two bright green for $18 on the internet. Not any road protection but they do the job of keeping you cool and no chance of sunburn.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awesome review. Thanks. Got a military one with some specialized connector so I'll post all about it when I have it done. How'd you power it and mount it with the Burgman?

It came with a cigarette lighter power plug. Since I already had a 12v connector for my heated jacket on the GW (just as I do on the Burgman) I just made a quick adapter for the plug. Took less than 10 minutes.

The cooler has small eyelets on it for hooking bungee cords or the like. I used the kind that you can tighten so that I could snug it up if needed. Never took it off the bike during the entire 5250 mile ride and never had to tighten it up.

And it just rode on the back seat. Have not tried it yet with the Burgy but when I do I will mount it the same as I did with my GW. I almost wish that we had a few really hot days coming up next week so that I could use it again. Works just like I hoped that it would and it's hard to ask for more than that I think.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That's what I was thinking of doing. Either have it with the cigaret outlet or with a battery tender type plug to the battery. I am still working on the ice chest part of mine but found a leg mounted unit and am curious how that would work.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure that am familiar with the one that mounts to your leg. Do you have any pix or a link for that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts