Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Also how many with screens with vents???
I noticed a lot of the bug splatter was on the inside which means backwash of significance to splatter a bug.
My ST1100 had vents and was the quietest I've been behind...even at 150kph ( 90 mph+ ) no turbulence or back pressure.

I'm considering replacing the existing screen with the same one with vents.
I usually like moseying along at 90-100 kph (55-60 ) but then there is some slab time and that's where less turbulence and noise would be nice.
The ST1100 was quieter ( same helmet etc ).

Not fond of the look of that screen in profile but **** it works.
You can still easily see over it but no turbulence.

The Burgman should have an advantage as I can vary the screen height while riding but something in the screen design isn't quite correct and I suspect it's the vents.

My bug problem - you can see the screen is if anything wider and better hand coverage...but not as quiet.

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
Stop riding backwards. You crazy Canadians. ;)

You can cut in a vent into any shield if you follow simple guidelines. Vetter still sells his Pop vents. Rifle sells a vent too. Every Honda dealer sells Goldwing vents. The problem is getting one to follow the curve of the shield.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Vents do help a lot.

I cut the whole swept-up section of my tall Givi screen off and drilled 2 2" holes with a hole saw in front of the instrument housing

The result was a lot less turbulence and at least 2 kilometers more per liter running the same speeds as you do.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I have vents in the Clearview windshields on both my Burgmans. Clearview uses the Honda Goldwing style vent.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Air Inlets

Another option is to pick up a Snapvent or two from "Airline Spruce Canada", drill the appropriate sized hole(s) with a hole saw in your windshield and pop them in. They are a simple and cost effective way to add venting to your shield. Here is a link showing the various models: http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/ap/airinletkits.html

They are located on Aviation Road in Brantford or you can order online.

I put two of these in a windshield on one of my bikes years ago.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drilled 2 2" holes with a hole saw in front of the instrument housing
This sounds good...can I get a photo ( for positioning ) and what hole saw did you use.

Would like to get a decently smooth cut without fracturing and then sand it a bit.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Lexan is easy to drill into without it shattering.

If you have a plexi-glass windshield get rid of it. It'll gut you out like a dead deer if you ever go over it.

Sorry to be so blunt but plexi-glass is dangerous when used as a windshield.

Lexan (and copies) is an amazing product. You can put a small piece in a vise and bend it over with a large ball peen hammer to a 90* angle and it won't break. I've done it. Drilling on a windshield should be straight forward. Just drill where you need the hole. If it shatters throw it away - you didn't want that on your scooter any ways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts