Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ,so this may belong in the newbie section, but I am referring to my 2003 400 so... What is the purpose of the vent in the front fairing? Is is to provide air circulation to the driver? Does it help relieve heat from under the tupperware? Neither of these make sense to me but it's all I can come up with.

I ask because, as many of you have undoubtedly noticed, it's a PAIN to keep the dash and underside of the windshield clean. I've had thoughts of sealing it off. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I suspect that you will find you have significantly more buffeting if you seal it off. I'm sure it is there to mitigate airflow around the windscreen. For cleaning I just discovered that JAMMING the sponge I use to wash the scooter into that region and then shoving it around a little is all that is necessary to get the area clean. Then hit it with the hose to rinse off the soap (and let it drain out through the offending vent). If you want to get a little anal you could stick a paper towel on one of those claw/grabber thingies (I believe that is the technical term for this tool) and dry the area pretty well.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
A rag on a paint stir stick works pretty good for cleaning that area too.

I agree that it is there to reduce turbulence and back pressure behind the windshield.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Another thing you can do is remove the windshield and mask off the top part then paint the back side of the windshield directly above the dash housing black. That way you can't see whether it's dirty under there or not.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you look at most full faring bikes from the past two decades or so, they usually have some sort of vent in it. It is to prevent back pressure. Without it, you would literally be sucked in towards the bike controls.

It has to do with the high air pressure that develops when the wind is pushed aside the bike and around the rider at speed, it creates a low pressure zone where you sit. Remember air moves from high to low pressure zones. So high pressure around the rider and low pressure in front will suck the rider towards the front of the bike.

That little vent, helps equalize those two pressure zones by adding some high pressure to the air pocket created by the fairing. It makes for a more comfortable ride.:D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That little vent, helps equalize those two pressure zones by adding some high pressure to the air pocket created by the fairing. It makes for a more comfortable ride.:D

Thanks guys, it makes perfect sense now. I knew there would probably be a very logical answer and I'd feel dumb afterwards. But I'm getting too old to worry about "stupid questions":D

I guess I will not be sealing it off, as I don't need any riding issues.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I quit worrying about "stupid questions" decades ago. Sometimes they're the best way to kick off a lively conversation! :D

I do tire of "stupid answers" though... None here, thankfully. ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I closed the vent with a plug of rolled-up sheet rubber and it blocks the intake completely.

As far as I can tell there is no difference at all in air flow or noise with the GIVI windshield. I'm thinking the vent is there for just for added flair. It looks like a jet intake....

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
You have a second vent under the front of the seat that also feeds into the lows pressure zone that exists behind the screen/fairing.

On top of what LiamJs described, the screen vent will alter the way the airflow separates at the screen edges.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Does it work?
Here is what happens to the air as it goes in through the vent on a Honda ST. You can see how it disperses to fill the area behind the screen.

Notice that the smoke is carried up the inside of the screen right to the top where it meets the flow from the front of the screen and prevents it from curling over immediately.
The smoke is still quite concentrated at the top of the screen.

The gentle up/forward curve of the inside face encourages the flow to follow and stay with it (similar to how a wing works, but upside down). The slight "kick out" lip at the top of the screen also helps make the air in front of the screen break off cleanly.

Some of the air taken into the bodywork via the radiator intake is managed so that it reduces the pressure in a more general way and you can see how it is more diffused and spread out in this pic.
(Smoke can be seen entering as a narrow stream under headlight, reappearing spread out around the rider)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts