Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The announcement at the beginning of the Tavern says we can discuss any topic here as long as we use common sense and avoid "truly offensive" topics. I don't think anyone could consider this topic as truly offensive.

I purchase a number of goods via the internet and mail order catalogs. Up until just recently I have never experienced any problems with returning a product which does not meet my needs or I am not completely satisfied with. If a web site or catalog specifically stated that there were no returns accepted, buy at your own risk, I could accept that and would probably not place an order. But when you have emailed a vender and talked to him on the phone and he has told you 3 times that if you were not satisfied with the product to just return it for a refund and then goes back on his promise and tells you he will only refund half your money, that gets me very upset. Telling a customer anything he wants to hear just to get him to buy and then going back on his word can be called many things, but I choose to call it lieing and stealing and very bad business.

If this happened to someone else by a vender whom I might consider purchasing from, I would be very greatful to know in advance what kind of vender practices I could face. Anyone posting comments about bad experiences with that vender has a right to be heard and others have a right to read those posts and make their own decisions whether they want to do business with that vender or not.

This exact situation recently occurred in the Aftermarket and Accessories forum. Comments were made by both sides of the issue, which is only fair. Both sides have a right to state their case. I don't have a problem with that. 483 people viewed those posts before a moderator decided to lock the post.

I sent a private correspondence to that moderator questioning why we do not have a right to post bad experiences with venders and a right to view other peoples experiences and even though I have noted he has been on BUSA at least a couple times since then, he has not had the courtesy to reply to my questions.

It seems to me the whole purpose of this forum is to share information, whether it be good or bad. Is this not correct? I expect I will get some very negative feedback from this post, but I feel I have justified concerns and questions and to date, those questions have not been answered. I belong to ICOBO because everyone is very free with helpful advise, constructive critisizms, and shared experiences with a bit of lighthearted humor thrown in for good measure. I am not a troublemaker and would like to think that my posts have had some value to someone.

·
Registered
146 Posts
While I obviously can't comment on the specifics of this case, as I'm not the moderator you PMed, I think I can say something constructive.
Sometimes threads are locked because they are offensive. I don't think this applies to the thread you mean. Sometimes it is because the topic has gone around in circles ad nauseum and there is little left unsaid. You will notice locked threads can still be read, just not added to. If someone believes they really have something new to add, they can always start a new thread. Sometimes a thread may be locked because what is being said (not necessarily by the originator of the thread) may be construed as libelous and the moderators take action to protect the board as a whole.
Remember, every freedom carries with it a responsibility, no less the freedom of speech we all value. However, on what is essentially a private group board (even though membership criteria are very liberal), the owners of the board do have the right to some control over how it is run, who accesses it and what they can do there. I think the mods of this board do a pretty good job all up, and if they have taken action on a thread I'm sure there is a good reason for it. I understand your frustration at not getting a reply, but don't be too hasty to put that down to rudeness.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
About a year ago, I suggested that the forum add a catagory to talk about dealers and positive and negative experiences. Bryan (Greengoose) stated the possibility of legal concerns with slander by opening such a catagory in regards to the site and declined to open the catagory.

I can see his point, although it still would be nice to see other's experiences :D

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
It's nice to be alerted to things like this, especially with internet sales, since it's pretty easy to set up a professional web site.
So far I've had really good luck with all my web dealings, but it would be nice to know which ones to avoid, or to deal with at my own risk.

I can see why those who run this site would be reluctant to allow something like this, lawsuits are pretty expensive, and filed at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I too sent a PM to the moderator who locked the forum. I took a lot of time to point out the importance of having an open forum that alerts BurgmanUSA visitors to problems with vendors. It made several irrefutable points but to date, I too have not received a reply - let alone an acknowledgment - about my PM.

Now I'm worried that if I or anyone else wants to purchase something from someone Burgman related, that information that could be available on BurgmanUSA is intentionally becoming unavailable for whatever reason. I know I'm not alone when all I ask for is a simple and logical explanation as to "why".

While 'bashing' was cited as a reason, neither I nor anyone else can find a particular instance in any of the messages of the thread in question that demonstrates this. Everything was said in a calm and civilized manner. It seems that the moment I start pointing out how to file claims with the proper government agencies (something more people should be aware of anyway) the thread gets locked! Without being allowed to discuss and possibly work things out within message threads, this now opens up the very distinct possibility of going straight to a class-action suit against the vendor in question as we have enough people at this point - something that 'might' have been avoided with further thread discussion.

It could be construed that BurgmanUSA is responsible for this particular vendor's bad business practices by allowing this vendor to openly advertise on the forums and to gather names and mass-email (PM) in order to gain new prospective clients. If BurgmanUSA is shutting the thread about this particular vendor, one has to wonder if BurgmanUSA is in some kind of a relationship with this vendor - especially since they won't acknowlege the PM's of other participants in the thread who wanted more info as to why the thread was being locked. I have to say I'm very disappointed that a more professional handling of all involved was opted to be ignored rather than dealt with.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I agree with Alwalk locking the post and, in fact, I would ask that he remove it. Here's why.

A few folks stated that they had a problem with "the vendor" and explained their issues. the vendor replied, stating that he was the victim and he did what he could.

Then it got personal, with folks telling him that he was lying, etc.

So what started out as a "this is my experience" turned into a personal attack and even included threats. Here is where the whole thread turned south....

----------------------

QUOTE: "Save the long-winded BS Jac. Bottom line: you and I both know there's no second unit because we agreed to a refund - a refund which I STILL have never received - since June! If you continue to BS this forum, I'll post all of our message threads so that the group can see for themselves. There are plenty more government agencies I'll be contacting as well as other internet forums. The Postal Authorities will be contacting you about fraud, as I have sent them extensive documentation. We're talking felony, not misdemeanor."

---------------------------

Now when a thread gets this personal, it should be locked and, IMHO, the whole thread should be removed. Only the parties involved know the truth. I sincerely hope that you all get this sorted out.

But personal attacks and "calling someone out" has no business on a well moderated forum. You all wanna get into a p***n contest, go do it via PM, email, phone, or in person, but honestly, it has no place here. We all seem to get along here with positive, constructive posts.

No offense to any of the parties involved, but I hope you understand now why it was locked.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Generally before a topic gets locked there is a discussion amongst the moderators and administrators in regards to a posting. We all comment and decide if a post should be locked or not. Some times they are and most times they are not. This is a group effort.

Now again after a post is locked there is usually more discussion. I did recieve both your PM's and they were discussed. Now I owe you an apology Buzz and Chuck as I did not answer your PM's directly. I was under the impression that Bryan (Greengoose) was going to PM the both of you in regards to this incident. If you didn't get that response I guess It was my Mistake. If you did get that response from Bryan then I would only be saying the exact same.

Let me know if you got a response one way or another because I still have the orginal drafts and will promptly send them.

Allwalk

·
Registered
822 Posts
allwalk said:
Generally before a topic gets locked there is a discussion amongst the moderators and administrators in regards to a posting. We all comment and decide if a post should be locked or not. Some times they are and most times they are not. This is a group effort.

Now again after a post is locked there is usually more discussion. I did recieve both your PM's and they were discussed. Now I owe you an apology Buzz and Chuck as I did not answer your PM's directly. I was under the impression that Bryan (Greengoose) was going to PM the both of you in regards to this incident. If you didn't get that response I guess It was my Mistake. If you did get that response from Bryan then I would only be saying the exact same.

Let me know if you got a response one way or another because I still have the orginal drafts and will promptly send them.

Allwalk
As you may have guessed, no PM from any moderator(s) was ever received.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts