Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did something stupid I picked up a set of firstgear bags they look great but the straps are too short for the burgman 650 exec where can I find extention straps?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Another alternative is what I did, that also keeps from having straps across the top of the trunk, making for sometimes awkward access. Instead of strapping the bags together, I pug adhesive backed Velcro on the inside sides of the trunk and reinforced them with a few sheet metal screws. I attach the bag straps to those instead. It preserves the open top and I haven't had any problems with the bags not staying put.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
Another alternative is what I did, that also keeps from having straps across the top of the trunk, making for sometimes awkward access. Instead of strapping the bags together, I pug adhesive backed Velcro on the inside sides of the trunk and reinforced them with a few sheet metal screws. I attach the bag straps to those instead. It preserves the open top and I haven't had any problems with the bags not staying put.
I saw this earlier in one of your posts. I'm almost sure that's the way I'll do mine when I get them. Brilliant :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
Outstanding!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
I like your "solution" better than mine :thumbup:

I did have to be selective on what went in the trunk and what went in the bags...the trunk access was a bit annoying...doable, but annoying

Bill

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I used self-tapping, panhead sheet metal screws at each corner of each Velcro piece. I was mostly worried that the Velcro would want to peel off whenever removing the straps. I had to angle the rearward straps forward to avoid the tool case and "cubby" covers.

[attachment=0:2074yv6i]IMG_0465.JPG[/attachment:2074yv6i]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Scooter_maniac, I've returned the bags that don't fit and picked up the nelson riggs 850's but and gonna add the panels to the sides of the trunk.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Fyi - at the time I did it, the horizontal line in the trunk made me think it was two pieces so I stopped the Velcro where I did so as not to span over them. Looking at parts blow-ups, I'm now pretty sure it is one piece and, for added security would go ahead and extend the rear piece down. I say this, even though I haven't had any problems at all with the bags not staying secure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
... adhesive backed Velcro on the inside sides of the trunk and reinforced them with a few sheet metal screws. ...
I think I would use grommets and twist lock fasteners. I don't trust the Velcro to hold in loaded, windy conditions.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
SPS Tools said:
I don't trust the Velcro to hold in loaded, windy conditions.
The Velcro basically gets a shear force, just as it would with the straps connected to each other. My main concern was it wanting to peel off when removing the straps and is the reason I installed the screws. I've had the bags loaded and subjected to 80 mph, ehem, "wind" for hundreds of miles with narry a budge. Velcro is all my old Rally Packs had. As they're designed to attach strap to strap with Velcro and hold, I don't think this should work any less. I still use the bungees and straps to secure it front and back on the outside and keep the bags from flopping around. I've rigged my newer Givi Silver 469 saddle bags the same way. However, as they also have a center strap with a "loop" fastener (that you have to weave the strap through), I have found I can run it across and work around it easily for most loads. I don't like the connector it uses and will be replacing it with a snap buckle to make disconnecting/connecting the center strap ultra-convenient for when it is in the way.

[attachment=1:3fu18b5u]Side view with Givi bags.jpg[/attachment:3fu18b5u]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts