Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specs I find online vary a bit, but it appears that a 2012 650 exec has a dry weight of about 613 pounds. A 2008 650 exec 1s 518 pounds.

Is this correct, and if so how did it gain 100 pounds? Did a significant improvement come with that added weight penalty?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The weight did not change, the way Suzuki listed the weigh in the specs changed. In 2008 they listed the "dry weight" in the specs which was the 518 lb figure. By 2012 they had changed to listing "curb weight" not "dry weight" that is the 613 lb figure. "Curb weight" is ready to ride weight. "Dry weight" is not. Back when they were listing the "dry weight" many of us weighed our bikes in ready to ride state and found they did in fact weigh over 600 lbs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah, that is a very common trick that manufacturers have been doing for decades. They want their portly machines to appear to be a bit more svelte than they actually are.

And when they mean dry weight, that does mean dry. No gas in the tank, no engine oil and not even oil in the fork legs. Even the wet cell battery was empty of water and acid.

I have weighed all of my bikes and all of them weighed more than even the "wet" weight given. Even with an almost empty gas tank.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
With all fluids and the crap we always carry on our Burgman I estimate the thing weighs over 650 pounds. I feel every pound of it at slow (walking) speeds when we are two-up on the thing too.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
With all fluids and the crap we always carry on our Burgman I estimate the thing weighs over 650 pounds. I feel every pound of it at slow (walking) speeds when we are two-up on the thing too.
Yes, on scale a few year ago I weigh 298 kg / 657 lb with all stuff under seat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts