Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got my k6 back together after doing all the maintenance, valves, coolant, brake fluid, new rear tire, cleaning out the cvt, cleaned belt with soap and water, got rid of dust in variator and clutch using compressed air and put it all back together. As you know when taking the clutch, variator and belt off you have to put the rear pulley in high gear (spread the halves) in order to have enough slack to get the belt on the front pulley and high enough in the pulley so when you tighten everything it does not compress the belt. All went fine except when trying to ride! The variator will not open up to go into the low gear. The belt is in the same position I placed it in when putting it back together. I thought after riding a couple miles it might settle in. Never did! What do you think could be wrong with the variator? The scoot has 8000 miles and I have had it since 5500 miles and this is the first time to my knowledge it has been disassembled. Unfortunately this is a week before I am going on a four day trip with another rider. Before it was taken apart it was running like a top, no complaints. I guess it is true what they say, "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add to my previous posting, I did not open the variator, simply pulled it off the crank shaft and blew the dust out the variator with the air aimed between the pulley and the cover plate. Then I cleaned both pulley faces with brake cleaner to get all belt residue off.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think you pinched the belt. Look up on YouTube how micbergsma does it. He shows how to put the belt on right.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That's sounds possible like GK 13 said. Mine did the same thing first time I took it off. I pinched the belt putting it back on when I tightened the but down and didn't realize it. Easy fix.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pinching the belt was my first guess but I looked in with a flashlight and the pulleys are pulled up tight against the bushing the movable face slides on and I can rotate the pulley with a socket and ratchet on the crankshaft bolt and while watching the belt. It rides high up on the pulley all the way around and is not pinched. I guess the next step is to take the variator off and open it up. Is it possible for the weights to fall out of their channel if you don't take the back off? I don't see how but maybe shooting the compressed air in there did something to dislodge them. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
IT is quite possible that the rollers fell out of their channels and have jammed up the variator--it has to be held closed by hand to keep them in place when installing it...

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I'm also betting that you have rollers out of place in the variator.
Any time that you remove the nut on the end of the crankshaft,
plan on removing the whole variator assembly, remove the retainer ring
that holds the ramp plate in place, & clean out the rollers or sliders.
Make sure to hold the ramp-plate tight against the inner pulley face
while re-installing it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two rollers were out of place and preventing the pulley from opening. You guys nailed the problem right on. Now my question is, do I lubricate the bushing that the movable half moves in and out on? It seems like it should be lubricated but if so I can see the grease/oil being slung off and contaminating the belt. Input is appreciated. I have the shop manual but it leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I attribute my variator wear to having lubricated that sleeve once at 28K. If you do lubricate it, sparingly would be the watchword of the day.

Also, I don't think you should lubricate the sleeve, you should, instead, lubricate the inside of the movable plate that slides on the sleeve. I believe there is a seal to keep the grease off the exposed sleeve. If you lube the exposed sleeve, this same seal would work to ensure the grease collects on the sleeve for eventual distribution over the plates.

·
Registered
151 Posts
FYI, I blew out the dust cover, variator, etc but did NOT lube anything both times I've had the CVT cover off. First was major service at 13,000 miles in Jan 2014 and again in June for a new belt and sliders. Scoot now has over 21,000 mile with no issues.

I'm usually one that likes to lube parts but I was so worried about getting lube on the belt or sliders I resisted the temptation :)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
A dry Moly lube works well for that sleeve and plate. It won't attract belt dust and grime which causes most of the wear.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
A dry Moly lube works well for that sleeve and plate. It won't attract belt dust and grime which causes most of the wear.
Can also be used on the sliders to help them move freely.;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
For those of us that aren’t sure where exactly to lube, could you post a pic maybe? and I thought we weren’t supposed to lube the sliders? If that would help them, how should I lube them? Thanks again for the advise. ;)

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
IIRC the movable plate has a seal on each side where the drive shaft passes through. Were I to apply grease it would be in the space between the two seals. The seals are item 4 in this clip from the FICHE:

There is probably already some grease there so you should be able to determine the correct spot pretty easily.

If you're going the dry lube method, I think they are referring to applying it to the sleeve directly.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Ok. I didn't even realize that those came out. And what lube are you guys saying would help the sliders? I remember talking about this on here and was told using graphite powder wasn't a smart idea because the material the sliders are made out of is supposed to be self lubrecating.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The seals don't typically come out without persuasion. They don't need to for this ether. Just put a little grease on your finger and slip it in there. (this thread's gonna be locked).

For dry lube, most use some for of aerosol. I think the stuff I have at home is made for/by PB (of Blaster fame) in a yellow topped can. It's a Teflon based dry lubricant.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I attribute my variator wear to having lubricated that sleeve once at 28K. If you do lubricate it, sparingly would be the watchword of the day.

Also, I don't think you should lubricate the sleeve, you should, instead, lubricate the inside of the movable plate that slides on the sleeve. I believe there is a seal to keep the grease off the exposed sleeve. If you lube the exposed sleeve, this same seal would work to ensure the grease collects on the sleeve for eventual distribution over the plates.
^This, also do not "pack" the cavity chock-a-block full--if you like scrape out the OEM grease which may have hardened over the years, and replace it with a like amount of quality hi-temp grease like Green Grease (be aware that their website has an annoyingly LOUD video that autostarts when you go there--it is also a poster child for bad web design in many other ways.

Really GOOD grease though!

The rollers (or sliders) do not need, nor should they be lubricated...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am up against the clock, counting down until my cousin arrives in town and we will both depart on a one week road trip, something we haven't done together in 20 years, hence all the work on the scoot. I got it all together, the dislodged roller was the culprit, and reassembled without any lube. I live in a rural area and the time lost to go get the lube would have delayed me getting it all finished and together. Now the CVT and belt are all cleaned of all dust and grime, new CVT airfilter, a new K&N breather, valves checked, coolant flushed, brake fluid flushed, new rear tire and we are ready to hit the road. Now that I know how easy it all is, thanks to the help from the forum, the videos, and to a lesser degree, the shop manual, when I return I will open the CVT and install some DR sliders and use some of the dry moly lube on the variator sleeve.
Again thanks to all for their input because a little knowledge gained from each individual amounts to a whole lot of knowledge regarding this scoot and mechanics in general.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
See.......stick around here long enough,
& you'll get answers when you didn't
even know you had questions.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts