Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the variator plate there are two(2) seals one on each end . i believe they are called movable seals .well how do you remove them is it easy to do, mine look worn please help thank you

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
If I remember right, you can tap them out with a piece of wood and hammer. Lightly tap the new ones back in.

Chris

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the spacer that goes in the middle does this thing suppose to fit kinda tight or should there be any play on the inside Variator plate.if no play them im sure those seal are compressed

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Is there any sign of the grease seeping out, if not and the seals still feel pliable than they are likely OK. The only motion they experience (relative to the spacer bushing) is the in and out travel of the movable pulley, less than 3/4" and relatively slow. They do not experience any rotational motion, again relative to the spacer....

The seals on my '03 were fine when I got the scoot in May of 2011 with 12.3k miles, however the stock grease in the movable pulley bore had hardened and caked up. Scrape it out and refill the cavity--not jam packed full but filled nonetheless. The last time I had my CVT open, at around 25k miles, the seals still had a lot of life in them...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah so your telling me its okay that the plate can move a lil side to side .when u say grease ( movable pulley bore ) is that the outer 1 or inner 1 these seals have 28.k on them . just want everything to be right sorry for asking so many quaetion im not a full blown nachanic i know enough to save a lil money

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The "cavity" is the space inside the movable pulley face bore, between the two seals:

I am unsure of what you mean by "plate", are you referring to the movable pulley face as shown above? the spacer should slide in and out of the pulley bore freely, but there should not be a lot of what I would call "side-to-side" rocking motion (once the spacer is fully through the pulley bore). It there is a lot of side to side "slop" the pulley bore is worn, replacing the seals will not correct that.

There are no published service specification for the spacer OD or pulley face ID that I can find, nor does it seem to be a widely reported issue, so I would bet that with new grease you'll be set to go...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well ill add some grease side to side i can't remember how much play there was what slider weight size would you recomend replacing for the 04-400

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Badgator said:
well ill add some grease side to side i can't remember how much play there was what slider weight size would you recomend replacing for the 04-400
Based on what was most popular I used the 18g sliders and have been very pleased with them; to the extent that I have no desire to experiment with other weights--which for me, and as they are relatively cheap, says quite a bit for the 18g weight...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Badgator said:
and that would be 2613-18g correct
yup, those are the ones...

There is a bit more about my experience with them on my "sort of " blog, here and here, including the modifications I made to the ramp plate after reading about issues with the sharp edges of the ramp plate fingers on this forum.

You will definitely want to at least "break" (slightly radius) the ends of the ramp plate fingers, I took off quite a bit more with my final modification...

------------------------------------------
As for "joining" and riding in groups I appreciate the invitation, however I am an Aries and I find the older I get the more those stars seem in control...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts