Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Bergman 400
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I looked at the clutch, belt and variator over the weekend and here is what I found. I would appreciate any comments on the following as well.
as I mentioned in another thread, I’m getting what I con only describe as a “bawling” sound. Minor and short lived upon initially pulling out and bringing up to speed. I can say if I pull out slowly it is nearly audible, however, if I “gun“ it it is much louder but not so loud that bystanders could hear it.

2008 burgman 400 with 20,000 miles

clutch - the pads appeared to still have some pad left on all 5 of them. Could this be the original? I did not remove the clutch as I dont have the tool to hold it from turning. Not sure what the tool is or where to purchase.

bell - did not appear to be getting hot. Color is fairly consistent with not overheating.

belt - Imeasured the belt and as best as I can tell it’s about 15/16” wide. Not sure if this is good or not?

variator - it was NOT smooth across the surface. I could feel some minor grooves and it did appear to have wear on it. I don’t know what is considered bad / replaceable.

Your comments on the above are appreciated as this is my first experience with scooters.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I own a 2008 400 I bought with 5,000 miles on it a little over 3 years ago. It had clutch shudder and squeal from day one. I opened the CVT, deglazed the pads and cleaned the bell. I also changed the final drive oil while I was in there. 500 miles later the squeal was back. At 17,000 miles I replaced the stock belt and rollers with a Malossi belt and 19gram Tech Pulley Sliders. I also deglazed the pads, cleaned the bell and changed the final drive oil again. During the belt change I noticed how grooved the variator and clutch pulleys were. Plenty of valleys dug into the faces. I didn't measure them, or change any of the parts other than the belt and sliders. I now have 22,000 miles on the scooter. Squeal and shudder has been gone since the belt change and has not come back. Take off and mid range are so much smoother. I had searched this forum and heard others saying that just by changing the belt they eliminated the clutch shudder. A couple months after I did mine a fellow brought me his 2008 with 12,000 miles to do the same belt and rollers. I rode his before I tore into it. Not real smooth off the line, but no squeal or shudder. His pulleys were gouged just as bad as mine. I've been into other big scooters (Kymco and Yamaha) with twice as many miles where the pulleys showed no noticable wear. I think Suzuki cheaped out on these components of the bike. Replacement parts are not cheap either. In summary, all 4 of my CVT pulleys have significant uneven wear. With the Malossi belt and sliders it has been smooth as silk for the last 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Some suggestions. Start watching Mitch's videos for the 2007 to 2016 Burgman 400. He covers a lot of problems and maintenance. Invest in a service manual. All of us did not have all the tools we needed when we started doing our own maintenance but you slowly accumulate what you need.

On the right side of the Youtube page you can see he made 161 videos.

Reactions: TedLucas

·
Registered
2008 Bergman 400
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own a 2008 400 I bought with 5,000 miles on it a little over 3 years ago. It had clutch shudder and squeal from day one. I opened the CVT, deglazed the pads and cleaned the bell. I also changed the final drive oil while I was in there. 500 miles later the squeal was back. At 17,000 miles I replaced the stock belt and rollers with a Malossi belt and 19gram Tech Pulley Sliders. I also deglazed the pads, cleaned the bell and changed the final drive oil again. During the belt change I noticed how grooved the variator and clutch pulleys were. Plenty of valleys dug into the faces. I didn't measure them, or change any of the parts other than the belt and sliders. I now have 22,000 miles on the scooter. Squeal and shudder has been gone since the belt change and has not come back. Take off and mid range are so much smoother. I had searched this forum and heard others saying that just by changing the belt they eliminated the clutch shudder. A couple months after I did mine a fellow brought me his 2008 with 12,000 miles to do the same belt and rollers. I rode his before I tore into it. Not real smooth off the line, but no squeal or shudder. His pulleys were gouged just as bad as mine. I've been into other big scooters (Kymco and Yamaha) with twice as many miles where the pulleys showed no noticable wear. I think Suzuki cheaped out on these components of the bike. Replacement parts are not cheap either. In summary, all 4 of my CVT pulleys have significant uneven wear. With the Malossi belt and sliders it has been smooth as silk for the last 5,000 miles.
Thank You and I will follow your advise. Sounds like this will work. Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
2008 Bergman 400
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some suggestions. Start watching Mitch's videos for the 2007 to 2016 Burgman 400. He covers a lot of problems and maintenance. Invest in a service manual. All of us did not have all the tools we needed when we started doing our own maintenance but you slowly accumulate what you need.

On the right side of the Youtube page you can see he made 161 videos.
Funny you mention accumulating tools. I’m doing that now. gathering parts to change all fluids & filters over the winter. Should be nearly a new scooter by spring!
I have also been watching Mitches videos. There is allot to learn, but will be value added for the longevity if my scoot!
Thank You for your feedback

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
116 Posts
You can sand belt contact surfaces on variator and rear pulley with 150 wet sandpaper or red scotch brite pad, lightly, important thing is to use a sanding block or suitable flat metal/wood to kinda rectify/makes surface flat again, do not use bare hand, is not flat!!, sand in random/circular motion, you can use green scotch brite for final polishing. Sand just enough to dull surface, seconds not minutes!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
clutch - the pads appeared to still have some pad left on all 5 of them. Could this be the original? I did not remove the clutch as I dont have the tool to hold it from turning. Not sure what the tool is or where to purchase.
The tool; This is the one I bought -
The handle was a bit short to brace against the ground, but I just added a piece of hollow pipe from a jack handle.
Some say they do it with no tool, just a fast air wrench. Other homemade ones I have seen use flat steel with holes drilled then nuts/ bolts inserted through the holes at the appropriate distance to hold the bell.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have a harbor freight 1/2 inch electric impact wrench to remove the nuts but you still need to hold the variator and clutch when you torque the nuts down. Make sure you Torque the nuts down to specification when you put it back together and squeeze the drive belt to make sure the variator is seated properly. I'm sure Mitch shows that on his video. Good job so far.

This was brought up a while back found on Ebay but it is an expensive investment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts