Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had anyone done any mods on their variator?

I recall reading that one person, "GIB", had put an aftermarket one made by Malossi on his scoot, but have not heard of anyone else modifying theirs.

On my Honda Reflex, which seems very similar mechanically, there is a procedure to simply remove a the low speed rollers in the variator and it improved considerably the take off speed, but made no change to ttop speed. I haven't got my backordered service manual yet to see what the 400 variator looks like inside.

And I haven't been able to find any solid info, and prices, on the Malossi. Can anyone point to me to a good web page?

·
Registered
30,278 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill, thanks for info. I called the U.S site and they are distributors; but put me on to a dealer in N.C. Called him and he's checking with distributor to see what one would cost, but admitted he had sold nothing for maxi-scooters.

The roller change was a popular fix for the Reflex and only entailed removal of rollers..no cost involved. Would think that, at a minimun, a change of rollers in the 400 would make difference in performance. But it would involve knowing what weights to use, etc.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ted clement said:
The roller change was a popular fix for the Reflex and only entailed removal of rollers..no cost involved. Would think that, at a minimun, a change of rollers in the 400 would make difference in performance. But it would involve knowing what weights to use, etc.
Does the Burgman have a CVT similar to the Reflex with variator roller wieghts? Can't find a schematic of it from a google search.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, Bill, that is what I was looking for. Interesting. If that is the Burgman variator, it looks identicle to the Reflex, in which case the so-called "Koehler Mod" that Ted mentioned would work on the Burgman as well, no?

http://scootertrip.com/reflex/FAQ/koehler/index.php

There is also a schematic of the Reflex variator and other "K-Mod" information in the Files section of the Reflex Yahoo group.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres some more info on the Malossi kit from a UK site: ($190 USD plus shipping)

http://www.taffspeed.co.uk/technic/burgman.htm

I should note that it is unlikely that Suzuki will honor any time left on your warranty if you do this mod....at least that was the case with Honda.

But, having done the Kohler Mod on a Reflex, I did not find it particualrly difficult, and am serioulsy considering the Malossi Kit as soon as I get a thorough break-in on the 400.

Will call the U.S. dealer again next week and let you know prices here in the states.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bleeder, good point, and I was hoping someone had already tested this out. I guess i'm reluctant to be the guinea pig, whereas with the Kohler Mod a lot of guys had done it without any harm to engine or drive.

Also, another factor in going with the Malossi, is that apparently it provides for a better HP curve, top end as well as bottom. On the Reflex the only improvement was at the bottom end with faster take off speed.

I'm not actually looking for any particular improvement as I like the 400 pretty much as it is; its more the challenge of doing it just to see what its like.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I understand. I never did the kmod on my Reflex for the same reason - I was ok with bottom end acceleration. It was the top end I didn't like. If I was gonna tinker with the Burgman, I'd spend the 200 or so for the Malossi, especially if it improves performance throughout the range. I have to admit I never really liked the idea of the kmod, even though I've no engineering reason why. Just didn't set right. Even so, I'm surprised it hasn't become a common mod with other models if the performance gains are as people have said they are.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bleeder, I was pretty mcuh the opposite of you on the Reflex; it was too slow on take off for me, whereas the top end of about 70 + or - a couple (even tho the speedometer was fast just like the Burgs) was not too bad for my neck of the woods where its not real hilly. But must admit I like the extra on the 400 so that if I want to pass theres enough there to do it.

The Flex is an ideal town & short haul scoot....even long hauls of 400 miles on my earlier Helix was ok, and that one didn't handle half as good as the Flex. I'm getting on now and can't do that kind of mileage anyway. :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ted, I just got some info. from a guy on the Reflex Yahoo Group who says that the Reflex and Burgman variators are NOT the same. Apparently, the Reflex has a 2 stage variator, and removing the biege 1st stage rollers (k-mod) allows it to operate exactly like the stock one stage Burgman variator. He says that removing any rollers from a Burgman variator will just cause the engine to over-rev. For what it's worth.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bleeder. If I were to go to the trouble of tearing into that thing , I'd want to do it right by installing the Malossi Kit. Will look into US prices next week. Its $152 from the UK plus shipping...don't know what that would amount to. Expensive if its air freighted, and slow if by ship. Course I'm not in any hurry.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ted

You may have seen my other post where I was searching for my lost horses!

I have the variator mod (I actually had it fitted by Taffspeed UK), the website you referred to.

Now, I have one mean machine that will progress from rest to 85 very briskly ( haven't timed it (yet)).

I would have thought you would find a Malossi importer on your side of the pond. Maybe these people will assist you in sourcing nearer to home:

ROSELLE EUROPEAN IMPORTS INC.

401 WEST STREET
NEW YORK, NY 10014 -
Tel. 0012122426969
Fax 0012122421613
E-mail : [email protected]
Web-Site : http://www.malossiusa.com

Good Luck
NormanB

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Norman, just recently located them, and they are the US distributor for the Malossi, with a dealer here in N.C. Have talked to the NC dealer, and they want $250USD, plus shipping. Taffspeed price is much better, but shipping from the UK brings it to about the US price. Don't know why shipping is so much from the UK. Reluctant to be so niggling to ask Taffspeed again about shipping, but would think by boat it would be pretty reasonable.

Did you have any problem converting yours, and did you retain your original drive belt?

Ted

1 - 15 of 15 Posts