Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Burgman 400
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to inspect the variator, belt and pads before summer (plus I’m bored). So I commence to taking it all apart. Those 2 pesky bolt that are way up behind the Tupperware were missing. So naturally I suspected someone has been in here. The aluminum case came off very easy as well.
Here is what I discovered:
Belt measures 1” wide
It has Dr Pulley sliders in it and I matched them up with new ones I have here. There does not appear to be any wear although there is allot of black dust in there. The sliders have the same number as my new ones (2613) so I’m assuming they are 19g as well even though they are white and my new ones are black.
the wear of the sliders appears consistent.
brake pads look great as well.

unless anyone can see something on the pics that are attached, I’m going to clean everything up and install the Melossi YELLOW spring and call it a day.

Looking forward to your comments as this is the first time going into 1 of these.

THANKS…

Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Kitchen utensil Tableware

Rim Bicycle part Circle Auto part Automotive tire

Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Circle Auto part

Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim Automotive design Automotive wheel system

Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Yellow Bumper

Yellow Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Font

·
Registered
2008 Burgman 400
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another question… How in the world do you remove the BIG nut to replaced the yellow spring I have? The nut measures 2.16” !
The spring that’s in it now looks to be orange or red.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Black dust is normal. There will be a lot depending on how long someone has inspected the case. On the moveable drive plate there might be a rough edge where the sliders reach the end of the plate. Most people file that lip or edge down so it does not interfere with the sliders that ride higher up then the stock rollers. The belt's service limit per the service manual is .95 inches but standard is .99 inches so your fine. Good job.

Reactions: B Getz

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Another question… How in the world do you remove the BIG nut to replaced the yellow spring I have? The nut measures 2.16” !
The spring that’s in it now looks to be orange or red.
54 mm socket. I got mine on Ebay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The 2613 on the sliders is the size, not the weight (not stamped on the slider unfortunately). So they may or may not be 19 gm.... you'll have to weigh them to know for sure. (You need a sensitive and accurate scale, weigh all and divide.)

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
473 Posts
unless anyone can see something on the pics that are attached, I’m going to clean everything up and install the Melossi YELLOW spring and call it a day.

Looking forward to your comments as this is the first time going into 1 of these.
I would do a full disassembly/clean/lube of front and rear rear pulleys, servicing rear pulley is the most neglected part of scooter servicing, looking at pics it has been a long time since any type of service was done, good thing is I don't see any grease contamination on clutch shoes, etc your seal are ok,, but pics of bell and side of clutch shoes would help, belt thickness alone does not determine belt replacement time, IMO any belt over 5 years old or of unknown mileage is suspect, try to use plastic/rubber safe degreasers, brake/carb clean are bad for rubber seals, etc., etc .... plenty info on this board abouy it, take clutch with you to check socket fit and get a cheap chinese socket.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Take one of the sliders into the post office. They will weigh it for you. Or buy one of these: 1000 Gram Digital Scale I bought one ten years ago, and use it all the time. What is going on with your clutch that makes you want the stiffer spring? That puts extra stress on your belt. Dr. Pulley products do wear like iron. I'm running 19 gram sliders and a Malossi belt in my 2008 400. I think the take off, acceleration and top speed are darn near perfect. That's with the stock clutch spring.

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
For the Big Nut, I made a pin wrench, swmbo stands on it, I use a big honking pair of channel locks and a hammer to knock it loose. Home made compressor to remove the nut and reinstall (See pix) Or I use 12 ton press.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,404 Posts
Also, belt dust drives me crazy, I clean the innards no more than 4000 miles, Maybe 3000 miles.

·
Registered
2008 Burgman 400
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read on this set that the yellow spring + the 19oz sliders make for a really peppy ride. I have a new belt coming and will replace the current 1 as I don’t know its age.

·
Registered
2008 Burgman 400
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a new set of 19oz Dr Pulley. I’m putting them in. Might as well do it rite so I can enjoy riding it when the time comes. This is the red one I’m working on. The black one is next, oil changes and all. This way who ever buys the black 400, it will be done and ready for them to ride as well.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
473 Posts
What is going on with your clutch that makes you want the stiffer spring?
Rust control :unsure: , I've installed stiffer contra/torque spring on every scooter I've have owned, usually 10-15% increase, IME it reduces/eliminates belt harmonic shudder and "Belt Case Slap", IMO the oem spring is just adequate for the job,
heat generated by belt slipping is worse than a tight belt, IAC kevlar belts are extremely durable. Replacing only the spring has similar effect as lighter rollers, but cheaper. More, but enough for now...

Wood Audio equipment Gadget Font Gas

·
Registered
2008 Burgman 400
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That’s the “white” spring pictured. Do you think I’m on the right track With the yellow spring and 19gr sliders?
I’ve spent allot of time researching this site to come up with this. I want to get it done and ready to ride this spring. I would rather not go back into the clutch area until next winter if at all possible.
I changed the transmission fluid. Then went on to the engine oil. When I pulled out the oil filter, there was no “O” ring. So I had to stop until I pick 1 up tomorrow. Then I can refill the crankcase.

IM THINKING, that after I change out the antifreeze, I may pressure was the motor while some of the Tupperware is off. It’s kind of dirty under there. I don’t believe it will hurt anything?

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
473 Posts
That’s the “white” spring pictured. Do you think I’m on the right track With the yellow spring and 19gr sliders?
The Malossi yellow spring(2911429.Y0) + 19gr sliders is a good/correct combination for 2007-2009(K7-K9),
white spring(2916114.W0) + 19gr sliders is for 2010+, they have different gear ratios, etc.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
the black version of the slider weights are the black pearl edition. supposedly better heat and wear resistence by just a bit. it does say on your sticker 26x13 19g on it. so youre good there. till you have the socket to open the clutch nut, use some hi temp grease inside the back where the needle beasring sits. also Id use some grease in the boss pin. inside it, so you dont have to fight with it to get off later on. and the part where it sits into the roller weight holder. clean all excess of the visible part once its mpounted. only a thin layer.

personally I would not pressure wash the machine. seals and sensor connectors may go wonky. its not a chance ill take. ymmv

also when mounting things, use some brake cleaner in the pulleys of the clutch and the friend to make sure theyre free of dirtt when you mounted them.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I known some will disagree, but I wouldn't use a pressure washer on any part of a motorcycle or scooter, especially the engine bay. Could force water into electrical or mechanical places it shouldn't be. Even worse if there's soap in it.

·
Registered
2008 Burgman 400
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the black version of the slider weights are the black pearl edition. supposedly better heat and wear resistence by just a bit. it does say on your sticker 26x13 19g on it. so youre good there. till you have the socket to open the clutch nut, use some hi temp grease inside the back where the needle beasring sits. also Id use some grease in the boss pin. inside it, so you dont have to fight with it to get off later on. and the part where it sits into the roller weight holder. clean all excess of the visible part once its mpounted. only a thin layer.

personally I would not pressure wash the machine. seals and sensor connectors may go wonky. its not a chance ill take. ymmv

also when mounting things, use some brake cleaner in the pulleys of the clutch and the friend to make sure theyre free of dirtt when you mounted them.
I was second guessing the pressure wash part. You are correct, there are allot of things that can go wrong. Maybe I’ll just brush off the dust and dirt, and call it a day.
I have to go get an “O” ring for the oil filter this morning. Then I’ll check Harbor Freight for a 54mm socket so I can take apart clutch for service as you suggested.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
473 Posts
Water so
When I pulled out the oil filter, there was no “O” ring.
I find that a lot on different bikes and scooters I serviced, likely was stuck to old filter and tossed away, unfortunately means some dirty oil got around filter 😕

Then I’ll check Harbor Freight for a 54mm socket
Like I mentioned above carry your clutch in to check size, some sockets are cut differently, I had no luck at "Horrible Freight"(I go there a lot🙄), ended with a 55mm from "Northern Tool" that fit, "Tractor Supply" or "HD/Lowes" are another option for cheap tools.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts