Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this variable rate engine braking that I have read a little about and is it on the Burgman 400? I thought when you want to come to a stop, you let off the throttle and put the brakes on. Is it more complicated than that on the B400?

scootervan

·
Registered
611 Posts
I haven't heard of a variable rate engine braking, but the engine braking on the 400 is very light. The 650 has it much stronger, and it is electronicaslly controlled - so I guess it could be called variable rate engine braking. The 400 has the same amount of engine braking as any other single cylinder 400cc engine...

The 650 at low speeds has engine braking comperable to my 1200cc Bandit 4 cylinder when it kicks in (that's the whole reason my wife likes her 400 better than my 650).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
My guess is that it's variable in that it depends on what gear ratio the pulleys are at when decelerating?

In any event, it's pretty ignorable. You get used to it in a day or two. Don't let anyone scare with it. It feels just like driving a car with an auto tranny, save more so at low speeds.

·
Registered
793 Posts
From what I've gathered, the 400's transmission braking is entirely
dependent on its centrifical clutch that is still engaged above 3,000 rpm's.
The 400's transmission braking IS so much more friendly than the 650 and
the 400's transmission is simpler in design than the 650 because there is no processor
controlled CVT like the 650 has.

The AN650 Burgman also has a centrifical clutch that is redundantly dependent on RPM's
to engage, but the difference is that the 650's processor controlled CVT ranging is
always monitoring engine and transmission speed along with the throttle position.
So, what this means is that if a rider were to trick the processor by leaving
just a little throttle in while slowing down, the 650's CVT will not jump to Low range, unlike when a rider lets go of the throttle altogether.

What I'd like to build for a 650, over the winter of '06 is a G-Force sensor that activates the 650's brake lights when slowing, without touching the
brake handles.
The rider would also be able to use this device to disable the throttle position
sensor at low speeds when letting go of the throttle. This would keep the
CVT at a Higher range briefly as the 650 slows down so it will be a more comfortable
ride.
The rider will have on/off control over the device because a 600lb 650 needs transmission
braking while riding two-up fully loaded at high speeds while exiting highways.
Otherwise the rider will have to apply a lot of braking that can be unpredictable
in certain situations.
On the other hand, while riding through snow, ice and rain, I would want
to slow down and turn off transmission braking so the rear wheel won't
temporarily lock up while I slow down.

P.S.
I've got the 400's Theft Alarm module completed and it'll do a demo after
Labor Day weekend '05 with pictures here on the board.
The other thing that this module does is allow the parking brake to be set
so that the sidestand can be deployed while stopped and idling.
It's handy for opening doors and paying tolls without the engine quiting if the
sidestand is deployed.

I've got the Honeywell G-Force sensor but it'll have to wait until winter
to be built around for the 650 auto brake light module.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts