Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed on my 2017 Suzuki Burgman Executive that the back tire had a metal valve stem and the front had a rubber one.

I will want to put on Fobo Bike TPMS. I would think that the 2016 came the same way. Has anyone changed the stems by them self? And if not what kinds of labor charge would I be looking at if I had the dealer make the change to just the front tire. :serious

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am pretty sure the valve stem has to be installed from inside the tire/wheel. I just checked my official Suzuki Burgman 650 shop manual I bought from another member here who just sold his 2016 650. It says the tire must be removed from the wheel and then remove the valve stem.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Wait until your next front tire change and you can swap out the valve stem for whatever you want.

it has to be installed from the inside of the rim, it gets bolted on.

if you mount your own tires, its a no brainer. I don't think the shop will charge you anything extra for swapping out your valve stem,
takes all of but 5 minutes.

good luck :devil

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
I was able to pop the bead on my rear tire and squeeze the tire over enough to replace one. But we tried that on the front and NO WAY.

Just make sure you get the type that have a nut holding it to the rim. The pull in angled metal ones fail too often.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought the Fobo and a set of t-valve stems. I waited for a rear tire replacement and had the dealer shop install the new stems and balance both tires. If they charged me any extra for the install, it was very small, in that I don't remember how much. If it was a large amount, I would have remembered. The only decent stems, at a reasonable price, were shiny chrome. So I spray painted them black to match the rims and Fobos, so the Fobos won't stand out. Not sure if they are a much stolen item or not, but didn't want to draw attention to them at any rate. Good luck, ride safe.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have the FOBO tire pressure monitoring devices installed on my 2005 burgy 650. Am enjoying them. don't have to get down on my hands and knees, or on my side when it comes to the back tire. Just check my phone.

I've only had them for about 2 months now, and have had to add air once to my tires. So I do not know if the air loss is normal or if it is through the FOBO thingamabobs that screw down on top of the valve stems.

BTW.. speaking of angled valve stems, has anyone used the screw-on angled valve stems to screw on to the current valve stems?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rubber Stem For Now

My 2017 is still at the dealers waiting for the first day above 40 deg so I can drive it home. Talked with the salesman that sold me the Burgman and questioned him on what the charge would be to add the metal stem to just the front tire. He said over $100 without and that wasn't counting the cost of the stem. So I'll use the TPMS on the rubber stem on the front and see how that works out. Any change and I'll repost to this thread. Thanks All

·
Registered
24 Posts
Help on replacing valve stem...

Hi, I have a 2009 Burgman Executive. I just recently purchased the Garmin 595LM. I'm considering adding the TPMS caps but require metal stems as everyone is aware. My question is will the
Hawkshead T-Valve work on the Burgman with stock tires and rims? If so, what size should I order (.625, or .453)?

Any input will be deeply appreciated.

Barry

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hi, I have a 2009 Burgman Executive. I just recently purchased the Garmin 595LM. I'm considering adding the TPMS caps but require metal stems as everyone is aware. My question is will the
Hawkshead T-Valve work on the Burgman with stock tires and rims? If so, what size should I order (.625, or .453)?

Any input will be deeply appreciated.

Barry
1) Motorcycle valve-stem holes in the rim come in two sizes, and they're commonly given in millimeters: 8.3mm and 11.3mm.

The much more common size is the larger 11.3mm size, and our Suzukis use that size.

To get an idea of the prevalence of the two sizes, this page should give you an idea: https://www.kurveygirl.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=169&products_id=629

(BTW, I've ordered products from KurveyGirl over the years -- it's a legitimate store, even if the name is weird.)

So, the latter number you listed, 0.453 inches, is about 11.5 mm, which is about the standard 11.3 mm size (0.445 inches) ... so that's the size I would order, of the two you listed.

(That larger number, 0.625 -- that's almost 16 mm, and I have no idea what that would fit, certainly nothing in the motorcycle world.)

2) Speaking of the Hawkshead T-Valve, it looks similar to the T-Valve that FOBO sells with its units, and which @ScootinKev has said that he has successfully used with the FOBO (see post #7 in this thread).

I was unfamiliar with the Hawkshead, and after a quick search glanced at it on this page: http://www.tpms.ca/t-valve tire valve for tires, tire pressure monitoring systems, tpms.html

You can see the FOBO T-Valve on a few pages at FOBO's site, e.g.:

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOACCS
https://my-fobo.com/uploads/foboplus/T-ValveInstallationGuideRev1_13217.pdf

(And you can see in that FOBO installation document that FOBO, too, talks about 11.3mm and 8.3mm, to reiterate my point about hole sizes, above.)

As it turns out, I will be having new tires put on in a week, and just ordered the FOBO system a couple of days ago. Rather than have the bundle -- two sensors and two T-valves -- shipped from around the world, I built my own (slightly cheaper) package: the FOBO sensors from Walmart, and the FOBO T-Valves from WingStuff ( http://wingstuff.com/products/37222-t-valve-optional-accessory-for-fobo-tpms ).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had the Fobo on stock valve stems on my 2011 650 Executive for a couple of years. Great product!
I always get the stem replaced when I get a new tire. Twice the valve core has not been screwed tightly into the stem, causing a very slow leak. Tightening the valve core was an easy fix both times.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I have had the Fobo on stock valve stems on my 2011 650 Executive for a couple of years. Great product!
I always get the stem replaced when I get a new tire. Twice the valve core has not been screwed tightly into the stem, causing a very slow leak. Tightening the valve core was an easy fix both times.
I appreciate your reporting on -- and your success with -- FOBO, especially since I just purchased the product last week. I'll be starting to use them on Saturday, when I'm having new tires installed by a local dealer.

I'm surprised, however, that you haven't opted to go with only metal valve stems. These are permanent, so you only need to spring for them once (or one once -- on the older Burgmen that I'm familiar with, the rear comes stock with a right-angle metal stem, and the front stock with a thick rubber one).

Here's what FOBO says in its manual ( https://my-fobo.com/uploads/fobobike/FOBOBikeUserGuidever2.6.pdf ):

While FOBO has been advising FOBO users to inspect and ensure good state of rubber valves, some users find it difficult to determine so. Given that the structure of rubber valves degrade over time and over travelled distance, use of sensors on such rubber valve can cause a leak or tire blowout that leads to a sudden loss of control of the vehicles which subsequently leads to an accident and serious injuries. For the safety of all users, FOBO strongly recommends use of sensors only with metal valves. If users choose to use rubber valves, users must regularly check if the valves are fit to use. FOBO is not liable for any untoward consequences.

I have a Doran360M TPMS installed on my other bike. They Doran sensors weigh about the same -- 14gr (my weighing) vs. 11.5 (claimed) -- and Doran states ( http://www.doranmfg.com/sites/default/files/360M manual (v2.1)--.pdf )

REPLACING RUBBER VALVE STEM WITH METAL VALVE STEMS IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Doran even goes as far as including four metal valve stems (straight and right-angle, for both wheels) with its product (see my review at http://www.webbikeworld.com/r5/doran-tpms/review.htm ).

Garmin, which sells TPMS sensors that work with a few of its high-end GPS units, has this to say ( https://static.garmin.com/pumac/TPMS_Instructions_ML.pdf ):

The Tire Pressure Monitor System is for use with metal tire valve stems only. Installation of the Tire Pressure Sensors on non-metal tire valve stems may cause tire and/or tire valve stem damage which could result in serious personal injury or death.

ShowChrome, makers of TireGard, says ( http://www.bigbikeparts.com/catalog/documents/13-/13-315U.pdf ):

Sensors will work with all valve stems – However, rubber 90° valve stems do not last as long as metal and depending on the age and quality of your rubber 90° valve stem you need to make sure they are in good shape. We do recommend the use of metal valve stems for better durability.

And so on, from my reading over the years about other, less well-used, systems.

So, it's good that you keep getting fresh stems, but I'm curious why you'd stick with rubber, if I understand you correctly.

Me, I ordered a pair of FOBO's "T-Valves," and will have them installed along with my tires (and the sensors put on then, so the tires can be balanced just as they will be ridden on).

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
I just.checked with Hawkshead as I need a T-Valves for the FOBo Bike 2 system. They said the following:

2020-10-09_23-05-49
Might as well just get the FOBO T-valves, probably directly from FOBO. I've been running them for 3+ years now.

Reactions: SilentP

·
Registered
121 Posts
Might as well just get the FOBO T-valves, probably directly from FOBO. I've been running them for 3+ years now.
Thanks. The cost is $48 for the pair after shipping charges. Ouch! Looking for viable alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
My suzuki dealer (I walk my dawg in their vegetable and smokable vegetation patch) wanted to charge me for 2 separate jobs, 60 for tire change , then 60 for taking tire off , replacing valve stems and reinstalling tire, Needless to say I will replace stems myself next time I change tire myself! (the honda place says 60 for both jobs total, but I hafta buy the tire from them, do it on their schedule, leave bike overnite, etcetcetc) I hope Godzilla takes a poop in their veggie garden.

Reactions: SilentP

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Thanks. The cost is $48 for the pair after shipping charges. Ouch! Looking for viable alternatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I did some checking just now. You're right -- ouch -- re shipping from Malaysia, I think it was.

The cheapest I found, with shipping, was from your very own Ohio, from Honda Direct Line: https://shop.hondadirectline.com/productdetail.htm?productId=-7408825

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.58.11 AM.png

I use to order goodies from that outfit in my Valkyrie days, 2000 - 2007, but haven't messed with them since then. Looks okay to me, and if you use PayPal you have good financial protection, certainly.

Reactions: Dave_J and SilentP

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, I did some checking just now. You're right -- ouch -- re shipping from Malaysia, I think it was.

The cheapest I found, with shipping, was from your very own Ohio, from Honda Direct Line: https://shop.hondadirectline.com/productdetail.htm?productId=-7408825

View attachment 92074

I use to order goodies from that outfit in my Valkyrie days, 2000 - 2007, but haven't messed with them since then. Looks okay to me, and if you use PayPal you have good financial protection, certainly.
THANKS!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts