Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started hearing this tapping/ticking coming from the engine. It sounds and looks like it is coming more from the right front. Do you think this is a bad valve or a bad CVT?

http://youtu.be/nGKJ9FYyzc8

Thanks for any help

Adam

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Cam chain tensioner is what I would also suspect.

·
Administrator
18,376 Posts
Adam, You've had this apart before. Are you sure its coming from the right front? Could a bolt or pin have come loose again up in the cam area?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

I took the maintenance lid off and tried to pinpoint it. It is definitely coming from the right side but seems to be coming more towards the front than the CVT housing. I will keep everyone updated after I take it apart this week. As usual, everyone has been a great help.

Adam

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
the cam chain sits right ahead of the cvt assembly, past the timing inspection cap.

I listened to your video a few more times, I don't think it is CVT related... It is a lot louder than
the usual chirping / squealing sounds a failing CVT makes.

good luck with the repairs...

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I did find that the chain tensioner must be bad because of the slack in the chain when I took off the cover. I took the tensioner off and it seemed to still be very strong? When I loosened the cam cover bolts I broke one off in the head ... :/ sighhhh... Going to be a pain to get out... Any suggestions? Fix? Sell ? Can it run without the lower left cam holder bolt?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
ASpring6 said:
Well I did find that the chain tensioner must be bad because of the slack in the chain when I took off the cover. I took the tensioner off and it seemed to still be very strong? When I loosened the cam cover bolts I broke one off in the head ... :/ sighhhh... Going to be a pain to get out... Any suggestions? Fix? Sell ? Can it run without the lower left cam holder bolt?
That's the kind of job where patience is rewarded. I have a set of 1/8" carbide bits that are great for grinding a center point for drilling. The small ball headed or rounded tip one works great in a Dremel or small pencil air grinder I have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patience is definitely going to be key... Deemed is a great idea. I will keep everyone updated.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
ASpring6 said:
Can it run without the lower left cam holder bolt?
I doubt you can run it without that bolt, it will probably leak.

That bolt screws into the top half of the cam bearing journal. Be very careful when working on it. Those are matched to the head and the cam bearing surfaces are line bored into them. For that reason if you mess one up you will have to buy a whole new head.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm sorry, it is the lower right bolt, I'm not sure if that makes any difference or not... Just had wisdom teeth out, so been kind of out of it..

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
I think I misinterpreted which bolts you were talking about too. I first though you were talking about the 4 bolts that hold the valve cover on. After rereading it I think you are talking about one of the 12 bolts that hold the two upper cam journal halves on. If it is the lower right one then that would be one of the 6 on the exhaust cam. You will have to get it out. Running it without that bolt could lead to warping of the cam journal and failure of the camshaft bearings.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buffalo said:
I think I misinterpreted which bolts you were talking about too. I first though you were talking about the 4 bolts that hold the valve cover on. After rereading it I think you are talking about one of the 12 bolts that hold the two upper cam journal halves on. If it is the lower right one then that would be one of the 6 on the exhaust cam. You will have to get it out. Running it without that bolt could lead to warping of the cam journal and failure of the camshaft bearings.
Sadly it is that bolt:/ I will have to find a way to get it out soon.. Will keep everyone updated. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
Good luck, hopefully you can get it out without messing up the threads.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So itsvbeen awhile since I've been on here to give an update, but I was able to successfully get the bolt out. After spending a few hours one nght, I decided to give up and even thought about my options of selling the bike. Well, the next day I said what the heck ill try one more time. I couldn't believe how easy it was to take out! I got it out in under 5 injures with a simple lock pick. Crazy!

The problem with the loud sound is now fixed an it rides great! Hanks everyone and happy riding !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts