Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2004 Burgman now has about 3,500 miles since I adjusted the valves in January. So yesterday I decided to check the valves trying to be as efficient (or lazy) as possible removing only the following to gain access to the valve cover;

Tunnel cover (right in front of the seat)
cover over air box
Airbox top
Air filter & holder
Hose/Tube from airbox to throttle body

Next I disconnected the seat from the support arm and used a bungee to hold the seat in a more open position. Also, I removed the 10mm bolt that secures the airbox so it could be moved around a bit, and loosened the throttle body from the intake hose. That was it for items removed or loosened (if my memory is working this morning)

I used a few bungees to hold the fuel lines and throttle body back and I was able to remove the valve cover.

Lastly, I had to removed CVT air filter & cover so I could turn the motor over (counter-clockwise). I rotated the motor until I found TDC by feel. You know you're there because intake and exhaust rocker arms will have a little wiggle (freeplay) to them.

I was able to check the valve clearance. The intake was .004in which was exactly how I set them in January and the exhaust was getting snug at .008in so they've tightened just a bit. Here's the note from the shop manual. Valve clearance (When cold):
Standard: IN.: 0.08 – 0.13 mm (0.003 – 0.005 in)
EX.: 0.17 – 0.22 mm (0.007 – 0.009 in)
I'm still in the the middle of the range so everything was good. Note, checking was OK but it would be really tight to actually adjust the valves with the air box still in the bike.

Now with a little history on the bike I plan to extend my next valve check to 6,000 or 7,000 miles which hopefully will be this winter.

Anyone else this lazy :p

Bruce

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have also check the valves and it is such a pain in the butt. Although it's hard, it should not be ignored.

I have a question though, can you check the valves with a feeler gauge without the engine at TDC, or does the engine have to be at TDC in order to get an accurate valve feeler gauge reading? Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it needs to be at TDC.

I rotated the engine around quite a few times in Janaury when I could see the marks on the cam to get a feel for the motor and the wiggle of the rocker arms. Unfortunately you can't see the mark unless the side panel is removed. Second thought maybe you could use a mirror to see the mark!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks,

One more thing, I am able to align my arrow on the case cover and see the T line, however, because my valve cover is stuck at the half-moon position, and when I tried to take off the valve cover gasket, it wouldn't move. I did not want to force it off, because I thought I would risk ripping the valve cover gasket, so I have no way of seeing that the two lines inscribed on the end of the camshaft are lined up with the edge of the cylinder head or not.

My question for this problem is, can I just rely on the arrow on the case cover to see if it's TDC or not? Or, should I just rip that valve cover gasket off and see that the two lines inscribed on the end the camshaft are lined up anyways and buy a new valve cover gasket to replace it?

I did my valve adjustment just using the arrow on the case cover and made sure I was TDC, and it seemed to solve my hot-starting issue! My valves were WAY TOO TIGHT. All four of them!

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Case cover? Can I assume you're referring to the large allen head bolt close to the dipstick? Once removed you can see the timing marks? Well maybe you can see the marks, my 50 year old eyes couldn't make out the marks clear enough :-(

I'd suggest removing the valve cover gasket because the cam alignment marks are easy to see. However, purchase new one (about $20) before hand just in case the old one is damaged. I noticed my gasket had a bit of black silicone on the half-moon part of the gasket and no other place. I re-installed the original gasket after inspection without any silicone with no leaks.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Coud you explain where those easy to see cam alignment marks are? I have adjusted valves and re adjusted them, but was never 100 percent sure I was at top dead center.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The cam alignment marks are in the side the valve cover gasket at the half-moon point. You need to remove the valve cover gasket in order to see them. However, sometimes the valve cover gasket is stuck at the half-moon rubber part and trying to rip it off increases your chance of damaging the gasket. I'm 20 years old and I can easily see the T line at the end of the camshaft where the oil dipstick is with a flashlight

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try and post some screen shots from the shop manual tomorrow.

Also check on this video
at about 4 minutes in it show the align marks on both the cam and through the case cover.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts