Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked valves again, at 21,000 miles, are in the OK range thank goodness!

I don't have metric feelers so resorted to GO/ NO GO system with inch equivalents. Good enough, no need to mess around and find the actual clearance.

Wow, the layout of wires and sensors and routing screams "Low budget design" here. Simply clumsy and annoying. Or "afterthought".

The spark plug was $8.75 at the dealer. Ridiculous. Time to order a bunch of parts on line, and stock up.

Changed oil, FD oil, cleaned belt case and variator, cleaned air filter. I shudder to think what this would cost at a dealer! :(

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actual checking of clearances took minutes. Getting to that point took hours. I also disassembled the belt case and changed oil. Etc.

Now it's dark again, so I will finish up in day #3 :(

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's actually about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour job to do the valves including adjusting them if they need it, once you are used to doing it. That includes removing some plastic too. Talking about the dohc motor. But, the first time you do them you should take your time and not worry about how long it takes. This is something you don't want to make a mistake on. It took me 3 hours the first time I did it but I'm used to spannering so Mike's time is ok if he's not used to too much of that type of thing. And at least he knows it's done properly and he has that knowledge for the future so he can help others. Good job Mike!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I wonder how many members on the forum actually have found the valve clearances wrong when checked and need adjustment ? I know my old Y model is still running with the factory set clearance at almost 40,000 miles and rightly or wrongly my L02 won't be checked this side of 25,000.

No doubt I will be chastised for suggesting such action but from experience I have not encountered out of tolerance clearance changes on my motorcycles, scooters and cars...............with the exception of my son's Chinese 125. ;)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
From experience with the dohc motor, it's one in ten bikes needs them doing at the first check of 14.5k miles. With lock nut adjusters it's about 5 out of 10.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Concours (gen. 1) had 16 screw-and-nut valves, I checked every 4-5000 miles, a few needed a touch one way or the other every time. But it was an easy job compared to this. Even with 16 valves :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yeah, that's often the case Mike. I prefer shims myself because they tend to overall stay in tune better. But the point being it's best to check like you did, even if you have shims. You don't want to be the one in ten bikes that goes bad. Can do lots of damage. That's not a dig at you Gio, you at least know what you are doing. We've chatted regularly on Muppets, I'm Data.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It's actually about a 2 to 2 1/2 hour job to do the valves including adjusting them if they need it, once you are used to doing it. That includes removing some plastic too.

I have a concern about my mechanic. His cost for a valve check was $110 out the door. He charges $45 per half hour....The numbers simply don't add up.
I question whether he's doing the job right? Are my concerns justified?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
/\ Valve CHECK is not as involved. But you have to remove and replace a lot of stuff to get to the checking point.

Valve ADJUST involves removing the camshafts, pulling out lifter(s) to swap the little shims and thereby adjust clearance. I shudder to have to mess with camshafts. ADJUST is another step. So $110 is probably about right for a CHECK these days.

Note that the OM gives you a range of adjustment. 0.2 to 0.3 mm for exhausts, 0.1 to 0.2 mm for intakes. With a screw and nut system, I would hit all valves the same, but with shims, middle of the range is OK.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have a concern about my mechanic. His cost for a valve check was $110 out the door. He charges $45 per half hour....The numbers simply don't add up.
I question whether he's doing the job right? Are my concerns justified?
That would be about right Dan for checking on the dohc motor. But if adjustment is required it will cost more. Note I mentioned the 2 to 2 1/2 hrs is for a check and adjustment, not just the check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts