Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
I have a 2015 Burgman 650 with 20,000 miles and as we are on partial lockdown in the UK decided to give the bike a full service including valve check (1st Check) which I have never done before so need a bit of advice please.
All info found is from Le dude can some one please confirm the settings are the same for 2015 model as 2012 model.
In .10--.20 mm .004-.008"
Ex .20-.30mm .008-.012"
Torque settings 14Nm Camshaft covers
For those that have needed adjustment what milage was on your bike and which shims needed setting?
Can the rockercover seal be reused?
Trying to pre order shimms before UK goes into full shutdown, hopefully none will be needed.

Thanks for your help in advance

Chelsea

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
Good luck Chelsea, remember rule number 1, no refreshing beverages during maintenance actions, only after checkride complete and a (shudder) bath.

·
Premium Member
2,798 Posts
Chelsea, wise use of time buddy, You can’t keep a Good Burg Man down !

What I have read is that most guys find them ok at 20k mile mark. But I don’t want to discourage you from checking.

I hope you are free to move two minutes before you have everything buttoned up.

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
My experience is that adjustment is not needed until around 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers). Have not yet seen one that needed adjusting because it is to loose, always to tight. So if you preorder shims order thinner ones not thicker ones. I ordered a full shim kit that goes from 1.20 mm to 3.50 mm. I check mine at about 25,000 mile intervals and have only had to adjust them twice. I have also helped two friends adjust the valves on theirs each time taking shims from my kit. I used up nearly all the shims in the kit smaller than 1.80 mm. Had to order more. On the plus side I now have lots of extra shims in the 1.80 mm to 2.00 mm sizes provided I ever have a need for them.

·
Premium Member
14,207 Posts
You can reuse the valve cover gasket but I recommend not doing it more than 2 or 3 times. I reused mine one time too many and it started leaking oil around the seal on the exhaust gas regeneration port. This let oil leak into the port and down to the back of the exhaust valve causing the valve to over heat.

Along those same lines, be careful that you get the gasket aligned correctly around the spark plugs. If you don't oil can leak around the plugs. If it does there is a drain meant to carry water away from the plugs. It exits from the side of the cylinders below the oil fill plug. Oil leaking around the plugs will go through that port and start running down the side of the cylinder wall.

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
With the sray at home time, I started to wash mine, got some water splashed on my arm, way too close to feelin like a bath!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the advice, I was worried about taking the bike apart and not being able to get shims and gaskets but found an online shop Wemoto where you can order shims separately online and they deliver if needed,so I have 1 final question.
What width shims do I need as on the web site they have 2 or 3 options?

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts