Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have seen the tutorial for valve adjustment on a 400 but have not been able to find one for the 650. I have 42k mile on my Burgman and have checked the valves twice and they have been within spec. However, I am going to check them again this weekend and worry that with 42k they may need adjusment therefore I would like to do some reading before I take covers off. If there is a tutorial out there and someone can point me in the right direction I would truly appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
I am working on a new DIY for the valve inspection, should have it out soon...

in the meantime, you can check this partial DIY which basically has all the steps from the service manual.

pics and videos with detailed instructions to follow soon....

DIY - Vavle Inspection
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim and LeDude,

Thank you both for the information. I will review it all and get ready to do the inspection this weekend.

If the need arises for an adjustment would I get the shims at the dealership or is there any other place I can get the valve shims?

Thanks,

LV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,973 Posts
Louvel1 said:
If the need arises for an adjustment would I get the shims at the dealership or is there any other place I can get the valve shims?
Some motorcycle dealers will sell them individually or you might get them or a set at a local machine shop and they can also be purchased online. You can buy a set but it might be cheaper as refill kits.

http://aperaceparts.com/valveshims.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,582 Posts
Louvel1 said:
Jim and LeDude,

Thank you both for the information. I will review it all and get ready to do the inspection this weekend.

If the need arises for an adjustment would I get the shims at the dealership or is there any other place I can get the valve shims?

Thanks, LV
I would check with your favorite local dealership to see what they have in stock and what their prices are...

I don't know enough about shims to say whether it has to be a suzuki shim or if a third party shim can be used.

If I need any, I plan on ordering the OEM ones.

good luck....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,973 Posts
LeDude said:
I don't know enough about shims to say whether it has to be a suzuki shim or if a third party shim can be used.
Just 7.5mm diameter valve lash shims from anyone.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,228 Posts
They don't have to be Suzuki shims. You can buy shims from aftermarket sources for a lot less. I have a set of various sizes that were made by a company called Wiseco. You need 7.48 mm diameter shims. You can buy a complete set or just get packs of the sizes you need. The set will have alot of thicker sizes you won't every need so as MJR says refill kits in the thinner sizes would probably be cheaper.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top