Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Placed an order today for a Utopia backrest for my 650 and was wondering if anyone has suggestions to make the install easier? Any lessons learned would be apprecated.

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
137 Posts
Probably the most difficult part of installing the Utopia is getting the darn seat off the Burgman as the directions say to do. In fact I found it so time consuming and irritating I installed my backrest without taking the seat off the 650. Of course that might have been why I found the whole experience a little frustrating. Despite my wanting to be, I'm not much of a mechanic eventhough I did manage to get my backrest, topcase and windscreen on the bike myself. So I guess I'm learning. To make a long story short, if you are reasonably good with the tools you'll probably find it a breeze as the other fella said.

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Mississippi-Burgmans

·
Registered
368 Posts
We've got the A/C running down here as its been hittng 80 during the day

·
Registered
368 Posts
BTW

Thanks for the reminder, as I just ordered my Utopia as I've been meaning to do this for quite some time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I too installed the backrest w/o removing the seat. I could not get a socket on the bolts that anchor the seat. After I finished the job I realized all I had`to do was remove both middle and rear engine covers and then the bolts are within reach of a socket wrench. Uggghhh...It sure would have made the job easier.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll have to take a look at that and at least see what I could have done. Not taking off the seat made it a *itch for sure. I always figure out how I should have done it after I've taken the long way around either taking three times as long to do it or broken something in the process.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It is the same old story. We backyard mechanics normally tackle a vehicle R&R once in the vehicles ownership. When we do have to repeat the process, we usually can cut the labor time in half. There are a group of us here in the RV Park who have purchased Burgmans in the last few months so now we help each other with installations. I bet the next time I install a backrest, it won't take all day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts